Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ran

Worldcon Reports

290 posts in this topic

So, any other interesting panels, funny anecdotes, scandalous gossip, etc.? We poor losers depend on you!

More seriously, thanks for all the efforts to share some insight into what's going on. Sad to have missed it. :)

[quote name='Ran' post='1473936' date='Aug 9 2008, 13.18']... the guy doing _what_ when where?[/quote]

Ah...so the story of THE TICKLER has not yet been posted? He is Denvention's answer to Primordial Man, apparently. On Friday night, by around 3 am the party had died down to conversation level, and several of us were sitting around the suite talking about...well, I forget; I was probably having a fangirl moment over this guy who I had been talking to who I found out was a Real Published Writer. Right behind us were two guys talking about Wildcards. Eventually one of them left, and the other was a guy in a green shirt who, from my POV, just seemed to be zoned out and taking in the scenery or what have you. Then, from across the room, Stubby looked at him and realized he was.....touching himself, and "not just itching himself, if you know what I mean." (I think he actually had his cock out. :stunned:) Stubby told Kalbear and some others, who didn't really know what to do aside from take pictures and call in the Big Gun. So Stego came over, put his arm around green shirt dude's shoulder, and said, "This party is for BWB members only now, so maybe you can leave." The guy got up and left and as he was leaving, Stego called, "ENJOY YOURSELF AT HOME TONIGHT" and everyone burst into laughter.

Since Mountain Goat and Soph and I had been absorbed in conversation with the Real Published Writer, we really didn't know what had been going on right behind us. Stubby told us the story, dubbed the guy The Tickler, and MG jumped up and exclaimed that he had been sitting right next to him for an hour now! :leaving: We eventually turned the chair around and considered trying to find a Biohazard sticker at another party (Xerps? But they were closed by now) to put on it. On Saturday night, the chair was turned back around, but we all avoided sitting in it because of Tickler cooties.

"Enjoy yourself," has become our new farewell of choice.

Edit: Other notes on a few panels I went to...

Storytelling and the Oral Tradition, with Patrick Rothfuss and some others...this was funny. The panelists started out by each telling a short story/tall tale/anecdote aloud, then they discussed the difference between storytelling and written works. Rothfuss (who is a really funny guy, btw) talked about how he considers himself primarily a storyteller, and said he likes to write like a storyteller, which means he doesn't necessarily feel the need to put in grand overarching themes into his novels. (Anyone who's read The Name of the Wind will probably think this is a fair assessment of his own work.) I had never heard of the other panelists, but now I feel like finding written collections of their stories. Teri and Isis were also at this panel, so maybe they remember a little more.

Citybuilding: From Ankh-Morpork to Ambergris. I had never read anything by any of the writers on this panel, but I loved this session even though it was less about city-building and more about the use of cities in fiction in general, real cities that are SFnal, the idea of planned utopias, and what makes a fictional city seem real or believable. The problem with this panel was that the acoustics were terrible and the panelists often did not speak into their microphones...but the acoustics in almost all the conference rooms in the Denver Convention Center in general suck; not sure what the architects were thinking.

The Successful Misfit as a theme in F&SF, with GRRM, Larry Niven, and two others. I could only attend half this panel this morning due to packing and leaving for the airport, but it was a good discussion topic. It was nice to have well-known authors of both fantasy and science fiction on the panel since some of the discussion revolved around differences in how they'll treat misfits....GRRM mentioned that traditional fantasy often involves a misfit who becomes a hero or king, in a sort of prize to the reader. (Think Harry Potter.) While in science fiction, while the readers are still probably misfits themselves (aren't we all?) themes tend to involve changing society to be more tolerant of the misfit's characteristics, whatever they might be, etc. Other topics were--hero misfit vs. villain misfit, and what's the difference? (Misfit villains could be heroes of their own story, or perceive themselves as heroes, but their values are misguided or whatever change they want society to undertake is too extreme--think Magneto.) A tangent was, Niven said that he liked to write his characters having fun, because if they weren't having fun, he would have no fun writing the book in the first place. GRRM responded, "My characters do not have fun." This got a big laugh from the audience. I don't know what they talked about after that because I had to leave.

I went to some other panels as well, but can't summarize them well enough right now. Later I want to post some panel names that I wanted to go to but couldn't because they were too early (10am, nooooooooooooooo.....) or I was too busy to go...maybe if anyone went, they can post a brief summary.

Edited 2x: A note for travelers- SFO free wireless does not work in certain terminals, which is :thumbsdown:. San Diego has great free wireless which only has to reboot every 2 hours. :thumbsup: Denver has shitty free wireless which has a frame for ads, and you have to watch a 30-second ad every time it dies, which is....frequent. :thumbsdown:

[quote name='Ran' post='1472849' date='Aug 8 2008, 08.15']I've been told Pod was spotted in the dealer's room, hiding all of the books by GRRM so that he could buy them later.

A interesting con parties last night? What have the bid parties been like, I wonder? I'm kinda pulling for Reno, since if Linda and I were to go, it'd just be a hop and a jump away from Vegas. ;) Seattle could be cool because of the Science Fiction Museum and other such things... And the rains. :P[/quote]

Well, last night the Seattle bid people came by the BWB party around 4am and chatted with us for a while...after which, Stego took a poll of everyone in the room. I believe it was phrased like this: "Does anyone in here [i]actually[/i] want Reno to win the 2011 bid?" I think I was the only one who said yes. Then he said something like "Fuck Reno" and Kal mentioned yet again that he lives in Seattle. I can see pros and cons to both bids. Parris is a pre-supporter for Reno I believe and George said at dinner that he preferred that bid because of the experienced committee. I like Reno because it's within driving distance and I just really like Nevada (you know you all want Geological Tour of Reno Vicinity: The BWB Event :P) and it's less expensive than Seattle. But, the Reno party was very...ah....SMOF-y. Practically no one except the bartender talked to me there. I like Seattle too...the Seattle party was good, and I get the idea that they have a less experienced but younger committee, which could be good for people who don't like the trends of past Worldcons. (I overheard Stego talking with the Seattle chick at the party last night, and I guessed it was something like, "I'll tell you what's wrong with Worldcon right now, and how you should do it different.)

[quote name='Kat' post='1474590' date='Aug 10 2008, 16.54']So Stego came over, put his arm around green shirt dude's shoulder, and said, "This party is for BWB members only now, so maybe you can leave." The guy got up and left and as he was leaving, Stego called, "ENJOY YOURSELF AT HOME TONIGHT" and everyone burst into laughter.[/quote]

:rofl:

Oh man.

I'm home and operating on about 2 hours sleep, so just a quick update from me. Huge props to the X's for all the ass kicking and name taking. Wonderful con.

Pod, It was wonderful to see you again, and sorry I didn't rescue you from Evil massage guy, but it looked like he was having such a nice time rubbing you up.

My favorite moment of the con had to have been last night when I was working the door. So old con guy comes up and looks at our sign. ( Awesome drawing by Raya, and put together by Katie )
"So, whats the Brotherhood w/o Banner?"
Me: "Its a GRRM fan club"
"Oh I read one of his books once. Did not like it."
Me: "Oh? Which book?"
" A Storm of Swords"
Me: "Well its book three in a series, so it probably not the best one to start on."
"Well it was up for a hugo so I read it. I voted it 2nd to last. The guy really needs an editor or something."
Me: Well Harry Potter did kick ass. So what didn't you like about it? Was it too long for you?"
"I only got to page 11.It has way to many inconsistencies. On one page its above freezing, the next its below freezing, and then finally its like 60 below!" I can't handle inconsistencies like that."

Then he turned and stalked off mortally offended that such a horrible author would have a fan club or something.

ETA: Frosty is AWESOME!

[quote name='RaceBannon42' post='1474749' date='Aug 11 2008, 03.15']Pod, It was wonderful to see you again, and sorry I didn't rescue you from Evil massage guy, but it looked like he was having such a nice time rubbing you up.[/quote]
I hate you! :stunned:

Awesome.

My first BwB event and I was blown away by how genuine and welcoming everyone was.

Several places where we went to eat I ended up collecting the money for the check and people were always very generous. The tips we left were big and many of the servers commented on how great it was to serve our group or that we were the best table of 16 they had served. Kudos to everyone for being noticeably cool.

OK, My creepy dude con story happened on the street, and not at the party. I almost invited him up to the suite just so I wouldn't be the only one to have seen him. This kind of creepy deserved to be shared. But, no this was beyond creepy.

I was on my way back from a supply run at 12:30AMish or so. I had both hands full of stuff and i was walking pretty fast.

I see ahead of me a guy stumbling down the street, looking like he had slept in his clothes a night or three and hadn't showered in a while. The odd thing is that he is holding a cam corder. He was recording his drunk stumble.

OK, That was odd. I suppose a wobbly video tape might be funny. and hey, you might have a record of how to get back to your car. Strange.

But as I passed him I glanced over and he wasn't recording. He was watching P*RN on the camera's display.

So I slowed down and walked with him for a block.. ok not really. I had already seen that one...

There are so many things to report about the com. Maybe after work I will post more. Who am I kidding. After work I am going back to bed.

Funny MJS-I can report that at 4:30am on a Saturday morning, the 16th St. Mall is deserted. There were not even any homeless out at that hour!

[quote name='Ser Michael Jon Snow' post='1475102' date='Aug 11 2008, 07.49']OK, My creepy dude con story happened on the street, and not at the party. I almost invited him up to the suite just so I wouldn't be the only one to have seen him. This kind of creepy deserved to be shared. But, no this was beyond creepy.[/quote]
I saw a creepy guy when heading to my car at 12 Saturday night. A stumbling drunk guy with a pirate's eye patch and a black dachshund on a leash kept slurring questions at me. As we were alone on a dark street, I increased my pace. :) Dachshunds can be very dangerous....

ETA:
I know I wasn't around much during the con, one of the downsides of having it in your home town is that real life is still there to pull you away. But I enjoyed talking to everyone, even if it was just to shake hands and put a face to the board name.

A special shout out to the Stubbies. They both made sure that I knew what was going on when, saved me seats at the reading and Casa Bonita, and made me feel welcome to drop in. Cheers.

At Denver airport waiting for my flight. Just a quick post to thank everyone for a wonderful con. Stegho, the X's, Yags.....everyone involved with the parties, you guys were fantastic. Great to see so many new faces, even if I didn't talk to many people as much as I should have being the anti-social bastard that I am:p Hope everyone enjoyed themselves as much as I did.

Frosty is indeed awesome.

btw....trivia will be revived in Montreal if people are interested;)

It was great to see old friends and meet people for the first time. :) Sorry I wasn't there longer and sorry I didn't talk to as many of you as I'd have liked.

Frosty is the motherfucking BOMB. He singlehandedly shut down the Reno bid and made us the winner for longest-running party at the con. He put on his pimp clothes, walked over there and jedi mind-tricked the fuckers into thinking he was hotel security. BAD ASS. Cheers, Glen.

A big fuck you to the random guy who decided that stealing from the tip jar at the bar would be A Good Thing. At least I caught him at it.

The Tickler...wow. Stubby coming to me and asking me to randomly check this guy out who was wanking in the corner was bizarre. The reaction of the Bros when I told 'em was awesome - 10 people stood up, got out their cameras and RAN to him.

[quote]Well, last night the Seattle bid people came by the BWB party around 4am and chatted with us for a while...after which, Stego took a poll of everyone in the room. I believe it was phrased like this: "Does anyone in here actually want Reno to win the 2011 bid?" I think I was the only one who said yes.[/quote]That actually was me saying that. I know, people mix me and stego up all the damn time. And yes, you are the only person that wants it in Reno. You could drive to Seattle, ya know - it's not THAT far. :P

Frosty wore pimp clothes and convinced people he was security... ? Wow.

Well, not actual pimp clothes like you, Ran. He was just well dressed, better than the rest of us schlubs, and he went over there like a bad ass and dared them to disagree with him.

No one steps up to the Frosty. NO ONE.

[quote]No one steps up to the Frosty. NO ONE.[/quote]

Gods I wish that I'd met Frosty :cry:

what i really wanna know is....

did anyone wear a blame pod tshirt???

[quote name='Relic' post='1475422' date='Aug 11 2008, 12.11']what i really know is....

did anyone wear a blame pod tshirt???[/quote]
I saw at least three of them.

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1475424' date='Aug 11 2008, 14.12']I saw at least three of them.[/quote]

fuckin awesome.

:: smug

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1475418' date='Aug 11 2008, 14.08']He was just well dressed, better than the rest of us schlubs, and he went over there like a bad ass and dared them to disagree with him.

No one steps up to the Frosty. NO ONE.[/quote]

I always knew he had it in him. Glenn, you are the best. :cheers: Can't wait for your thoughts on the con, when you have a chance.

[quote]did anyone wear a blame pod tshirt???[/quote]I saw Pod wearing it on Saturday.

[quote name='Kalbear' post='1475452' date='Aug 11 2008, 14.34']I saw Pod wearing it on Saturday.[/quote]

:rofl:

pics?????