NFL III: gunslinging, for the fun of it

DanteGabriel

The Kentucky Homer in me would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Tim Couch is the only quarterback to take the New Browns to the playoffs since they re-entered the league. ;)

The Kentucky Homer in me would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that Tim Couch is the only quarterback to take the New Browns to the playoffs since they re-entered the league. ;)

Well.....

Actually it was Kelly Holcomb who led the playoff push and played in the playoff game. That was Couch's best year, though I'm not sure if they would've made the playoffs without Holcomb.

On the AA QB - I'd say McNair. Williams wasn't ever as good as McNair at his peak.

And the McNabb comments that Rush made were a few years before the Vick dog murdering, so it's not like he said that in response to anything.

ESPN page 2 has updated several teams logos with how they are performing on the field this year.

I liked the Panthers and Rams ones a lot. Also the Viking one is pretty funny.

I'm going to have nightmares of the Raiders one. It's bad enough there's a Sebastian Janikowski jersey lurking somewhere in the closet in my home, but having that vision in my head is even more terrifying. Only thing I would have liked better would be if he was wearing an actual eye patch.

:lol: on the Skins one. That's pretty funny.

Please Hammer don't hurt 'em!!!!! :rofl:

Hammer and Deion were tight when Sanders was in Atlanta around the time of "2 Legit 2 Quit ."

They all wore the kerchiefs on their heads with the peaks starched up high instead of pulled back behind.

I think there is talent there. Besides Thomas and Rogers, I'd also say Steinbach, Mack, Harrison, Wimbley, D'Quell Jackson are all talented. Mossaquoi looked good this past week and I think Anderson is a better fit for that offense given his ability to go vertical. He'll never be an amazing QB but he can be very good at times (he put quite a few balls in a spot that only the receiver could catch in good coverage).

Don't forget Josh Cribbs, whom management almost destroyed their relationship with this offseason over his amazingly low contract.

And I can't stand Mangini. I wish him failure in every endeavor and I don't think I'll be disappointed.

Same here. Fuck you in the ear, Ratgini. Wish Christopha and Paulie Walnuts had taken him into the woods during his Sopranos cameo.

You're right. I understated their overall talent level, and I agree with all those guys you named. But this is still an 0-4 team that really has less going for them than almost every other team in football. Does anyone think they'll be competing with the Ravens or Steelers, let alone Bengals, in even 3-4 years? The whole "fall over yourself to hire the first Belichick protege available" idea of coaching strikes me as unilaterally stupid.

And I can't stand Mangini. I wish him failure in every endeavor and I don't think I'll be disappointed.

I hate Mangini as well. I think he still fails and gets fired again. He's not a very good coach all said and done. He tries too hard to emulate Belichick and not enough actual coaching. I think the Browns took a step backward hiring him, especially with the crop of potential coaches out there next year. Such talent. I almost hoped the Bengals failed this year just to get a shot at Shanahan :)

As for the team, I agree with you somewhat. I think they have more going for them than say the Bucs, Raiders or Rams. I think the Lions have a bit more potential than them to do well in a few years but not much. The thing they do have going against them, as you stated, is the division. It's just too damn good. I can see them competing in 3-4 years though not necessarily winning. They're still a lot of pieces away (QB, durable RB, WR, CBs, Safeties, Pass Rushing DEs...)

ESPN page 2 has updated several teams logos with how they are performing on the field this year.

I liked the Panthers and Rams ones a lot. Also the Viking one is pretty funny.

Those are hilarious.

Don't forget Josh Cribbs, whom management almost destroyed their relationship with this offseason over his amazingly low contract.

Ahh yes. Definitely Josh Cribsbs. That fucker is so dangerous as evident last week. He can change the nature of a game.

He was still asking for too much money IMO. Yes, a returner can make a huge difference but he shouldn't be getting top WR money like he was demanding.

You know what's kind of sweet about the Crabtree thing? I mean beyond the 49ers filing tampering charges against the Jets... It's that the 49ers filed those charges and turned Crabtree into a pariah that no other team would talk to after Deion Sanders said something publicly about how other teams were willing to overpay for Crabtree. By flapping his fat yap, Neon Deion actually destroyed Crabtree's leverage. Good job, jackass.

The 49ers are 3-1 without Crabtree and force him to buckle, Crabtree gets his Come to Jesus moment, Deion looks like a loudmouthed fool, and Eugene Parker gets a bunch of egg on his face because he represents both of them.

He was still asking for too much money IMO. Yes, a returner can make a huge difference but he shouldn't be getting top WR money like he was demanding.

I don't know how much Cribbs was asking for specifically, but I'll take your word that he was asking for big-time WR money. Surely, though, there is some middle ground between whatever he was asking for and the $200,000 or whatever it is that he's making now.

I don't know how much Cribbs was asking for specifically, but I'll take your word that he was asking for big-time WR money. Surely, though, there is some middle ground between whatever he was asking for and the $200,000 or whatever it is that he's making now.

He signed a 6 year, 6 million dollar deal. He was asking for a Devin Hester like contract which is something like 4 years, 40 million, 15 mill guarenteed. To me, that's ridiculous.

But yea, the Browns are definitely to blame in that they could have negotiated something in between. I think, at the moment, they still don't realize Cribbs' value to the team, especially if they're in rebuilding mode and at some point in the future, Cribbs' value severely diminishes.

The 49ers are 3-1 without Crabtree and force him to buckle, Crabtree gets his Come to Jesus moment, Deion looks like a loudmouthed fool, and Eugene Parker gets a bunch of egg on his face because he represents both of them.

Well, at least he is signed now, so one more distraction/road block out of the way. Haven't been able to watch too much this year, and nothing 9er related (which makes me sad) but if they started off this way without me paying attention, maybe I should stay away...

Wow. Good move Cleveland. Gotta build for the future and protect your star. And everyone knows, Cleveland has only one star, and he doesn't play for the Browns.

Pretty funny really. Edwards has some trouble with Lebron's entourage ===> Edwards is traded three days later. I guess the city is just hoping to appease the gods by shipping lesser athletes to New York.

I figured this post was a joke, then I looked at a story on ESPN and I realized it's true.

I'm sure Edwards is glad to not have to see the Ravens and Steelers twice a year any more. Maybe now he'll actually catch a pass in the middle of the field instead of dropping it.

There's another side to the timing of the Edwards thing that makes me interested as well.

The Jets have made no secret of the fact that they are in the market for a wide receiver. This interest goes so far as to cause the 49ers to file tampering charges against them in the negotiations with Michael Crabtree. Presumably, they had guaranteed Crabs that they would take him in the first round next year if he sat out or would pay his asking money if he forced a trade. On the very same day that news of Crabtree's signing with the 49ers breaks... the Jets surprise everyone by trading for WR Braylon Edwards.

Dunno. It just all sounds fishy to me.

That's a horrible nickname. Poor kid, no wonder he wanted more money. He has to keep up with Percy "Herpy" Harvin and "Hemorrhoid" (re: He-Mo'-Roy!) Roy Williams.

The 49ers biggest two receiving threats are nicknamed "Crabs" and "VD" ... I don't know what that means, but I'm sure I'll hear plenty of jokes about it.

Archived