Aussies L

Paxter

The vast majority of my friends seem to be Labor-leaning; even the ones who are from traditional Liberal seats. I think quite a few of them wanted to vote Green but not at the expense of Labor (although it ended up happening in Melbourne anyway).

I was brought up in a very strong Labor seat (Speaker of the Lower House, Harry Jenkins Jr, who has held the seat since 1986 and whose father held the seat from 1969 - 1986!!), and now live in Bill Shorten's seat, so I suffer from the whole "my vote doesn't count" syndrome.

I don't talk about politics at work. That's just scary.

Thanks for the Italy tips! Still just not sure about where to go. Would like to book it in soon to get better flights. Also thinking Germany/ Switzerland since we'd have free accommodation there. I've also been told to go to Portugal.

Thanks for the Italy tips! Still just not sure about where to go. Would like to book it in soon to get better flights. Also thinking Germany/ Switzerland since we'd have free accommodation there. I've also been told to go to Portugal.

Germany is awesome Luce. You might want to cut down on a couple of days in Venice, skip Milan and head up to Munich for 6 days or so to see Nymphemberg and Neuschwanstein, among other great sights.

How many BWBers do we have in Tasmania? My boss just told me that I am spending a week down there in about a fortnight, and if it is anything like last time I will just be sitting in my motel at night. If there are people to catch up with down there it would be great. :-)

Speaking of catch-ups, GRRM is doing a book-signing at Galaxy Books in Sydney at 12:30pm on Monday 13 September. He's in Sydney for a couple of nights and he said it would be great to meet with any BWBers for dinner, and could we organise something?!!!

Now I'm not sure which nights he's actually available, I think he was probably talking about the Monday night but unfortunately I've got engagements already - on call on the weekend, family dinner for my sister's birthday on Monday and work dinner on Tuesday so it doesn't look like I'll be making it!

So any Sydney-siders (shout out to Horza, Stormborn, Jewbear, Dean, Jeor, Mackaxx, anyone else!), pls get in touch with George - maybe on his LJ, or PM Parris, or Stubby and he could maybe give you a contact number??

I might be around on Monday night. Though I haven't done these BWB things before so I might leave someone else to do the organising and let me know if anything's going down!

Can't make Sydney. :tantrum:

WRT Australian politics, below are the only things I would care about:

1) As an American expatriate, I feel compelled to tell you that your internet blows chunks. Unfortunately, this fact is hard to convey to Australians who have never experienced otherwise. This is evident in the number of people who think that "Let's just use wireless everywhere!" is a legitimate national internet infrastructure strategy.

2) I just wanted to convey how infuriating it is to not only not have dollar bills, but to be forced to use no fewer than twenty-seven denominations of coin, all of which culminate into carrying what can only be described as the weight of a small child on one's person. Which party is anti-coin and pro-bill? I would support this party. You should, too.

It looks like I should be able to come :D

I really suck at organising stuff though and have what is possibly the most unreliable phone in the universe so I'd say its much better than someone else does it if possible.

Hey T, hope you are feeling better soon. :(

Will be there ont he Monday signing and try for dinner also :) Should we be making up stuff to hand out to people re-Bwb?

Its probably not necessary to do any flyers or anything. Make sure you are all decked out in your t-shirts though! :thumbsup:

also head to Berlin for a fantastic cultural experience - easy access to some of the old camps + underground clubs + amazing museums. Dresden is the most beautiful east german city and theyve pummeled alot of money into it following its bombing (opt in for the winter markets and some gluehwein). heidelberg is also a lovely contrast, very trad german and very much intact - fantastic walks etc available there...

if you like beer you'll be in heaven. i lived in a town with a population of about 350 people - at their local bottlo they tallied nearly 200 different types of beers! its probably too far gone for them, but if you are more rural and you see any advertisements for any dorffests - head along. they are great shin digs put together by a town which all the neighbouring townsfolk tend to head to - lots of beer, spirits, food, dj, games, and entertainement in the form of a stripper or a country and western act

Hey Paxter, how ya feeling? 32 hours to go :)

Yeah, pretty pessimistic TBH. I have always confidently maintained that Fremantle will reach its first Grand Final in 2050 and win its first premiership by 2065. I see no reason to revise those estimates at this stage - Freo is a very young and inexperienced team, playing away from home, on the unfamiliar Friday Night Football stage, against a dual-premiership winning team. I would say that the odds are stacked firmly against us.

And yet...occasionally I think about the threat from the likes of Pav, Sandi, Hill, Morabito, Ballantyne and a tremor of hope passes through me. So you never know what could happen :dunno:.

And yet...occasionally I think about the threat from the likes of Pav, Sandi, Hill, Morabito, Ballantyne and a tremor of hope passes through me. So you never know what could happen :dunno:.

They could get smashed by 60+. :P

Archived