NFL Thread 14 - Super Bowl

Mexal

ILB (Rarely big impact guys - infact all the dominant ones Lewis, Urlacher, Brooks came out of the 90s)

Sorry, I need to comment. Brooks was an outside linebacker, first of all.

Secondly... Bart Scott, James Farrior, Jerod Mayo, Patrick Willis, Jon Beason, Demeco Ryans -- get with it, homie.

Secondly... Bart Scott, James Farrior, Jerod Mayo, Patrick Willis, Jon Beason, Demeco Ryans -- get with it, homie.

Pretty sure the defense being designed to filter the play towards those players is important.

Pretty sure the defense being designed to filter the play towards those players is important.

That does not mean they aren't big impact players. They are. All of them.

Plays are designed to get a receiver open, so if they work and the receiver is open, is he no longer an impact player because of the playcall?

Foolishness.

It is sounding more like the decision to leave Tennessee was Fisher's, and not Adams's.

I gotta agree with Stego on the LB question. Willas is a monster, regardless of the scheme. His impressive play is less about number of tackles and more about his ability to make plays.

That does not mean they aren't big impact players. They are. All of them.

Plays are designed to get a receiver open, so if they work and the receiver is open, is he no longer an impact player because of the playcall?

Foolishness.

Fair enough, but if I got more into it I'd have to address TE being last on the list with Gates, Gonzalez, Winslow, maybe Davis or Jones even.

Fair enough, but if I got more into it I'd have to address TE being last on the list with Gates, Gonzalez, Winslow, maybe Davis or Jones even.

I think an elite player at any position (sans kicker, punter, long snapper) can make a huge difference in a team. I believe that for every steadfast rule one tries to make, there will be marked exceptions.

That said, defensive line first and foremost.

For those arguing that a LB makes a difference on a team that didn't have good ones before - what examples are there of this?

I can think of quite a few where it didn't make a difference in that team's defensive performance: Vilma, Joey Porter, AT, Jason Taylor (at least as a LB; he was a force as a rushing TE), AJ Hawk - these guys were stars but haven't made the defenses particularly stronger when switching over. I think LBs more than any other player are dependent heavily on the system and utilizing them.

And that isn't to saay that the team that lost that guy didn't miss him, but I don't think they really helped the team they went to.

Right, but they run a 3-4, so pass rushing LBs are basically what pass-rushing DEs would be in a 4-3. He's not nearly as good in coverage or run support. And like you said, they were already fairly fine.

I just think of the LBs that switched teams and think that they didn't get that much better. You just didn't see it. And a lot of times you'd see that LB just go to mediocrity or be basically put to pasture.

Oops, you're right. Blew that.

Yeah, I'm not saying there isn't top talent at ILB. Every position has its stars. I just think the comparative impact of a star ILB doesn't make the same impact as a comparable talent at other positions because of their dependence on the horses in front of them. Farrior's a perfect case of a guy who's a decent talent for the Jets but becomes all-world once you put him behind guys like Casey Hampton and Aaron Smith. Scott too has benefited his entire career from the talent in front of him - guys like Ngata and Kris Jenkins.

It doesn't mean you don't want a stud in the middle captaining your defense (London Fletcher was huge for the Skins in shoring up a leaky defense), I just value the guys in front of them a lot more. So I'm with LoB and Kal on the idea that an ILB's impact often looks greater than it is based on the system they're in and the guys around them.

I think an elite player at any position (sans kicker, punter, long snapper) can make a huge difference in a team. I believe that for every steadfast rule one tries to make, there will be marked exceptions.

But yeah I'm not gonna say this isn't true. Ballers are ballers regardless where they line up. I may not be gung ho on ILBs but I'd still kill for a guy like Patrick Willis.

Marginally related, but does anyone else think that Center is becoming a much more important position in the NFL?

I think that it is, and I think it is because of the rise of the 3-4. Every team that plays an effective 3-4 has a monster NT. And if your center isn't up to the challenge, your options are to either send both of your guards over to triple team him every play, or to just accept that you're going to have the NT in the backfield.

In addition, the other advantage of the 3-4 is that the blitz can come from a lot more places. And the center(along with the qb) is the one that is making sure that the O line is all on the same page with blitz pickups.

For example, my least favorite Redskin Casey Rabach seems to confuse blocking with falling down. And thus, our O line is terrible, never has any push, and often misses key blocks. I frankly think that the Skins O line this year, which was varying between terrible to adequate at different times, would have been a very good unit if we had a good center.

Thoughts?

For example, my least favorite Redskin Casey Rabach seems to confuse blocking with falling down. And thus, our O line is terrible, never has any push, and often misses key blocks. I frankly think that the Skins O line this year, which was varying between terrible to adequate at different times, would have been a very good unit if we had a good center.

Thoughts?

My dad also hates Casey Rabach. Justifably as the 1-2 games where journeyman Will Montgomery played center last season the entire line seemed vastly improved.

And yeah, NTs have been eating his lunch for years now. We haven't gotten any movement from the middle of our line for years. And last season alone guys like Ratliff and Suh just wrecked our offense all game long. So I buy it.

My dad also hates Casey Rabach. Justifably as the 1-2 games where journeyman Will Montgomery played center last season the entire line seemed vastly improved.

And yeah, NTs have been eating his lunch for years now. We haven't gotten any movement from the middle of our line for years. And last season alone guys like Ratliff and Suh just wrecked our offense all game long. So I buy it.

I totally agree that Will Montgomery was better at Center than Rabach. I was so unhappy with Rabach came back from injury after only one game. If Montgomery had a few more games, it would have been obvious what an upgrade he is. Even still, I very much hope we take a center with our second round pick.

Right, but they run a 3-4, so pass rushing LBs are basically what pass-rushing DEs would be in a 4-3. He's not nearly as good in coverage or run support. And like you said, they were already fairly fine.

I just think of the LBs that switched teams and think that they didn't get that much better. You just didn't see it. And a lot of times you'd see that LB just go to mediocrity or be basically put to pasture.

As someone that has watched every Packer game this season I have to respectfully disagree with this...well the run support part. Matthews has been really strong in the run support department. While I will agree he is not nearly as strong in the coverage aspect he is not asked to cover people a whole lot as he is to valuable as a rusher.

The Packers had a deep linebacker corps, but Matthews brings something they never had before and I think it has improved the rest of the linebackers.

Not that this really has anything to do with what you guys were talking about, but I see people knock on his run support a lot and I tend to disagree....of course I am not pro. =)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6073930&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_6073930

The Philadelphia Eagles will make it official next month and place their franchise tag on quarterback Michael Vick, a league source has confirmed.

The move will prevent Vick from leaving Philadelphia this offseason and ensure he's tied to the Eagles for the 2011 season.

What's just as significant about the move is that, by tagging Vick, the Eagles then will entertain offers for backup Kevin Kolb, who will generate more interest this offseason than any other available quarterback once there is a new collective bargaing agreement.

Franchising Vick will give the Eagles contractual control of two quality quarterbacks, one of whom they will be able to shop. Kolb still is under contract for 2011 at the cap-friendly price of $1.4 million, making him an even more desirable commodity.

Multiple teams coveted Kolb last offseason. Kolb started the 2011 season as the Eagles' starting quarterback but was passed by Vick after suffering a concussion in the season opener.

Kolb said after the season that he wants "to be starting somewhere" in 2011.

I don't think I have been happier in the last 10 years than I am now. Bengals fire their offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski!

Now we can start building in the right direction. I'm fine with Palmer staying if we have someone new designing the game plan and calling the plays. This opens the draft up again.

Archived