NFL Regular Season 2011 Mk.II

Spring Bass

The NFL has reached a point where there isn't a huge disparity between RBs.

Most teams have several capable rushers and the differences between the best-of-the-best and the middle of the pack are getting smaller and smaller.

I honestly think that at this point a great deal of a RBs success comes from their ability to avoid injury and the quality of the OL.

Absofuckinglutely. Of course an extra dose of explosiveness and/or some extra beef sure helps. But it's not like stocking up on useful running backs is hard.

Yeah - I'll third the notion. How often do you think of a Super Bowl champ of late and think "That RB of theirs just could not be stopped."

Well I think one of the things people often overlook about football is how interconnected the various pieces are. I'm not saying you, but talking to most people about football, so many don't understand for example how important a quality pass rush is to the ability of the DBs to perform.

So in the same context, in the current game a RB doesn't necessarily need to rack up a lot of yardage to be effective. If a RB is pulling an additional defender into the box and free up WRs, that's certainly a positive. If a RB is able to just grind out carries and wear out a defensive front, that's a huge advantage.

Yessssssssss! It's plays like that that make me a football fan. Awesome.

ETA: Also, holy crap, was looking at the Wikipedia page to see what the record for passing yards in a game is, and noticed this was already changed:

Longest pass completion 99 by 11 players last by, Tom Brady 9-12-2011.

Wikipeople are insane!

Yessssssssss! It's plays like that that make me a football fan. Awesome.

ETA: Also, holy crap, was looking at the Wikipedia page to see what the record for passing yards in a game is, and noticed this was already changed:

Longest pass completion 99 by 11 players last by, Tom Brady 9-12-2011.

Wikipeople are insane!

Man sounds pretty lame...glad my wife is watching Bachelor Pad instead.

The interconnectivity issue comes up big with the Dallas dynasty of the mid 90's for me. It seemed like they arguably had the best QB, WR, RB, O-Line, and TE. But maybe they were all just very good, but when you have very good across the board it results in overall greatness.

I'm pretty sure that was the greatest oline of all time though.

ETA: That is, of course, not meant to imply that Adrian Peterson and Lawrence Maroney are comparable.

There's always the random guy that doesn't belong in the league. like chris brown

That's the thing about New England. Their defense doesn't have to be that great. If they can hold a team to only 3 or 4 touchdowns they win.

Yea. They always seem like if they wanted/needed to run the ball they could. Like they just run once in a while because your supposed to and to make sure the defense still has to think about it a little bit.

That's the thing about New England. Their defense doesn't have to be that great. If they can hold a team to only 3 or 4 touchdowns they win more often than not.

Henne had over 400 yrds passing tonight. Insane that both got so many. Seems like both teams were a little light in defense.

Henne had over 400 yrds passing tonight. Insane that both got so many. Seems like both teams were a little light in defense.

A good 100yds of that was garbage time stuff. Still, I doubt many people expected him to have a 300yd game.

Yea. They always seem like if they wanted/needed to run the ball they could. Like they just run once in a while because your supposed to and to make sure the defense still has to think about it a little bit.

They Pats did run the ball a good amount and used a lot of shitty little outs that are just as good as runs to wear down the defense in the first half. Miami's D, which is supposed to be their strength, looked fucking exhausted.

They Pats did run the ball a good amount and used a lot of shitty little outs that are just as good as runs to wear down the defense in the first half. Miami's D, which is supposed to be their strength, looked fucking exhausted.

It was still like 49 passing plays to 21 running (unless Brady's rush was on a designed run then 48 to 22).

I'm a little happy obviously. Brady's only slip up was trying to re-install the Vrabel play instead of perhaps throwing to a TE or two who got him a few of those yards tonight. The defense did not impress. My only solace is that NFL defense in general does not seem to be starting out well this year. San Diego coming to Foxboro next week is not going to be fun.

Archived