Whom do you foresee Arya having to marry, if anyone at all?

A man would need balls of Valyrian steel to marry Arya Stark. If her training in the House of Black and White goes through, she'll be a legit Faceless Man, and everybody in the entire Ice and Fire universe is scared shitless of them, because once a person is marked they'll get The Gift, it's an absolute certainty. Besides, I don't think a Faceless Man is allowed to marry, but that isn't written in stone I suppose.

Deep down, I honestly don't think Arya will live long enough to marry, as much as it pains me to say so. But if she does survive, then I think she'll marry a wildling, battle hardened like Mance Rayder, or she marries a Skagosi. Someone who can match her charisma and understands her.

Gendry isn't likely in my opinion, it seems too happy an ending for Arya. Edric Dayne or Edric Storm/ Baratheon have a better shot at Sansa than Arya.

Arya better god damn survive, if anything, that's what she has been throughout this saga, a survivor.

Wow, this topic caught me off guard. Any man who marries her better be fine with his wife being an assassin. I cannot imagine what would change her attitude towards killing people who deserve it.

Gendry knows she's killed people and doesn't seem to mind. I think poor Edric would be in for the shock of his life, he probably expects her to be a Lady, not training their kids on the finer arts of sword craft.

Gendry: I liked him, but I just don't see him with Arya at all. He may have royal blood but he lacks the upbringing. He will never understand Arya's (a Lady's) priorities, as he said in Harrenhal: it's the same for him to be a smith in Harrenhal or in Winterfell.

My dream ending would be:

Sorry, I just can't fit Rickon in at all. He is too young, we don't know much about him. He doesn't have a Stark upbringing, he probably can't even read and write (he is around 6-7 by the end of ADWD?) I think he will disappear, die, or something like this.

In this case (knowing R+L=J and Robb's will, who should rule Winterfell? Let's imagine that all 3 remaining Starks (Bran is a tree) have some support from several Lords in and outside of the North (Vale, Riverlands), but who will "win"? They won't fight each other. With a war on their doorstep, they need someone to lead them, so Jon may have enough support. However, he is last in line, considering he is not even Ned's son. But Robb named him his heir. I think most lords would support him anyway, but there may be some doubts. And the Vale (Sansa) and Arya, with whoever supports her (BWB?) may not like it. Heck, even Jon may not like it, since he doesn't want to steal anything from his "sisters". If a quick solution is needed, the best is to marry Jon and Arya - problem solved. (Sansa is still married to Tyrion, and is disinherited by Robb )

If it means to reinstall the Starks in Wf, with and adult, experienced leader, and this leader is Jon, I think Arya would marry him, even if they grew up believing to be siblings.

I don't want Arya to marry anyone in the south. I don't want any Stark (not even Jon) to end up in the South. But if the Stark girls are married into northern houses, those houses would gain extra power - and the rest of them wont like it that much. Under the current political circumstances, I don't think it would be wise to pick one northern House and put it above the rest of them (except for the Starks, naturally). A Jon-Arya marriage would solve that problem as well: it puts the Starks back in Winterfell, And adult, able, Stark leader, and the Ned's daughter. Everybody happy.

If there is anyone Arya would willingly marry, it's Jon, I think. Jon changed a lot, and Arya changed a lot. But they always accepted each other for who they were. If there is anyone, who won't fear Nymeria, it's Jon (and its important as well!)

I could argue those who say that they will be unable to develop romantic feeling because they thought they were siblings, but it is useless, I know. But a political marriage between the two of them is a possibility. If it saves the north, they won't care about what they had thought before. Once they learn they are cousins, it will be OK.

Another future for Arya: she would make an excellent spearwife. She could go beyond the Wall, and steal a boyfriend. Or more.

Arya is said to look like Lyanna and have her nature too. Lyanna had Rhaegar Targaryen and Robert Baratheon claim to be in love with her. It's possible that Arya, given her parallels with Lyanna could find herself between Aegon Targaryen and Gendry (if he's legitimised). That's interesting to me, although we still don't quite know what happened to Lyanna... I just hope if there's merit to this theory then she chooses Gendry as opposed to that brat Aegon.

I thought of this, too, but for me, instead of Aegon, it's Jon (he is a son of Rhaegar as well). And Arya would choose Jon of course :)

I never got the sense that Arya was a lesbian (not that there's anything wrong with that). She often commented on how handsome Jaqen was and she admired Gendry's rippling muscles in the smithy in Harenhall a couple of times. She also noted that Sandor was "muscled like a bull" and commented on how Ned Dayne was handsome. She likes to look at a good looking guy (or in Sandor's case she did notice his muscular build). Also, she always identified as female like for example when Syrio first called her "boy" she always insisted she was a girl.

When I first finished the books I was sure she was being set up to be with Gendry when she got a little older. After all there was supposed to be a 5 year gap. He's the Baratheon to her Lyanna likeness and GRRM likes to repeat events but with different outcomes. Gendry definitely liked her a lot and I think he was jealous of Ned Dayne because he saw that Arya seemed to like him and Ned was highborn so is someone he assumed could be matched with Arya. I do think that Ned makes a great option as well though. Then that would be fulfilling the Stark-Dayne love match started with Ned and Ashara in the next generation. But given that Arya has always had an affinity for hanging with the small folk and Gendry is a bastard, I still think things are mostly set up for those two to be together in the end.

Also, when Arya rejected her father Ned's suggestion that she will marry when she grows up and she said "No, that's Sansa", Ned was talking about her marrying a high lord and having his children and being Lady to a great house or even a Prince. That was what she was rejecting as being for Sansa, not the idea of marriage per se.

Seriously, Gendry never gave a crap about his background. Never really wonders who is dad is or talks about his mother, class, his place in this world until he finds out Arya is a lady and that Edric Dayne has nobility in common with her.

He lost his mom, never knew his day; he accepted it. He gets taken to Mott, thinks Mott dumped him off, is given to the NW, and the poor guy doesn't get angry and just makes the best of it. He knows the NW doesn't allow much freedom, or even choices like marriage and children. So much to take in, yet he gets pissy not even when he finds out Arya is a lady, but when it is thrown in his lap that Edric has that edge over him, he gets grumpy.

Felt so bad for him. It wasn't about material things, titles, etc.,never about how his life would be different if he was too, it was more about Arya being highborn, Edric being highborn, and he isn't.

I don't think she rejects marriage just because she doesn't want to be like Sansa. She rejects it because it's something she personally doesn't want and feels it would make her unhappy. Sure a child can change their opinion but I don't think Arya will on this.

I'd expect to see Asha get legitimately married before Arya and I don't really see that one happening either - neither of them seem destined to live in the traditional female roles that most women in Westeros live.

Asha actually wants to get married. She just can't marry Qarl. & if you think about it if she wants to be queen and have heirs then marriage should be in her future. We'll see if Justin Massey is successful or not.

A man would need balls of Valyrian steel to marry Arya Stark. If her training in the House of Black and White goes through, she'll be a legit Faceless Man, and everybody in the entire Ice and Fire universe is scared shitless of them, because once a person is marked they'll get The Gift, it's an absolute certainty. Besides, I don't think a Faceless Man is allowed to marry, but that isn't written in stone I suppose.

I strongly suspect that the FM sterilize their female members but I don't know at what stage they do it like while they're in training or after they've officially been inducted.

The KM did offer Arya marriage as an alternative to joining. One of the options was an honest apprentice boy btw which sounds like Gendry. Arya also could have freely offered the type of man she would want to be married to. She said that she wanted none of it;.

"Or if it is marriage and children you desire, tell me, and we shall find a husband for you. Some honest apprentice boy, a rich old man, aseafarer, whatever you desire.”She wanted none of that. Wordless, she shook her head."

He says marriage and children. After she says no he says that she must pay the price to be one of them and that women bring life and they bring death. No one can do both. So it's either or.

As for Aegon, I don't think he's legit and I have a feeling he's going to die sooner rather than later. So I don't want my girl Arya anywhere near him. If I'm wrong and he's everything that Varys says/hopes he is, then Arya would probably like him... A lot.

Provided Varys was telling the entire truth and I don't believe he was they have a lot in common.

"He is here. Aegon has been shaped for rule since before he could walk. He has been trained in arms, as befits a knight to be, but that was not the end of his education. He reads and writes, he speaks several tongues, he has studied history and law and poetry. A septa has instructed him in the mysteries of the Faith since he was old enough to understand them. He has lived with fisherfolk, worked with his hands, swum in rivers and mended nets and learned to wash his own clothes at need. He can fish and cook and bind up a wound, he knows what it is like to be hungry, to be hunted, to be afraid.

With the more cultured education than most Westerosi, being hands on and mingling with commoners, being rash and impulsive, possibly having violent tempers, Arya as Cat is basically a fishwife and does help with cooking, she likes swimming, and I believe he was bored during his history lessons IIRC which she was as well, and the last line about hungry, hunted, and afraid does apply to Arya but I don't believe Varys there.

He could also tell her about the ruins of where Nymeria lived.

They may meet or may not but IA he's a goner.

Arya is going to end up in a relationship with a man who takes her for what she is, which is wonderful. Gendry is perfect. If he reforges Ice and Arya comes back, yeah. Why is it that just because she's empowered and fighting for her survival do folks think she is gay (not that i care if she is). She's awesome. And I don't think Sansa will marry again. But i think she will CHOOSE a relationship before the endgame. And I think it's going to be with Sandor. and if she has a child with him (after he dies) then I think she and Tyrion may rule platonically at one of these houses. And i think Tyrion would be a great father by that time. He knows what NOT to do.

Arya is going to end up in a relationship with a man who takes her for what she is, which is wonderful. Gendry is perfect. If he reforges Ice and Arya comes back, yeah. Why is it that just because she's empowered and fighting for her survival do folks think she is gay (not that i care if she is). She's awesome. And I don't think Sansa will marry again. But i think she will CHOOSE a relationship before the endgame. And I think it's going to be with Sandor. and if she has a child with him (after he dies) then I think she and Tyrion may rule platonically at one of these houses. And i think Tyrion would be a great father by that time. He knows what NOT to do.

I have NEVER understood the Sandor/Sansa ship. It's one of the reasons I don't like Sansa much. Sandor murdered her father's men, the Butcher Boy, and actively contributed towards her father's arrest and ultimate death. Plus, he was Joffrey's lackey. I know he was nice to her but how in God's name did she ever develop feelings for him? It actually makes me angry.

I have NEVER understood the Sandor/Sansa ship. It's one of the reasons I don't like Sansa much. Sandor murdered her father's men, the Butcher Boy, and actively contributed towards her father's arrest and ultimate death. Plus, he was Joffrey's lackey. I know he was nice to her but how in God's name did she ever develop feelings for him? It actually makes me angry.

well this is a book of redemptive arcs, and this is a relationship that has been well written, and is still developing. why angry? he's the ONE guy who protected her from the KingsCourt. always. and sansa knows it. so does arya. martin has dropped hints everywhere. a tale as old as time, only this time he had the chance to really develop it over time.

My longshot pick for Arya , if the story lasts another 5 story years, is Sandor Clegane.... Ever since Arya said "I could never love a coward"... I have thought hmmmmmmm.

Between killing her friend, kidnapping her, being verbally and emotionally abusive towards her, and her leaving him for dead and afterwards referring to him as a monster I doubt it.

If anything he came off cowardly to her imo. She did say that he was afraid of fighting and she seems bewildered at his crying in front of her which happened twice.

well this is a book of redemptive arcs, and this is a relationship that has been well written, and is still developing. why angry? he's the ONE guy who protected her from the KingsCourt. always. and sansa knows it. so does arya. martin has dropped hints everywhere. a tale as old as time, only this time he had the chance to really develop it over time.

I know hints have been dropped and it's well on its way to becoming canon but I still think it's weak upon Sansa's character. Regardless of redemption or not he committed to many atrocities against her house and her loved ones. Him protecting her at King's Landing doesn't exactly make up for the betrayal of her father. Like Stannis says, the good doesn't wash out the bad. She couldn't have just forgotten what The Hound has done, therefore I question why she's willing to forgive. I like Sansa for everything other than this one factor.

I know hints have been dropped and it's well on its way to becoming canon but I still think it's weak upon Sansa's character. Regardless of redemption or not he committed to many atrocities against her house and her loved ones.

Actually, as I've extensively argued on other threads, my personal contempt for Sansa comes from the fact that she consistently chooses her fairy tale above her family, especially Arya. At one point, she told Arya that she wished it'd been Arya, not Lady, that had been killed over Joffrey's being bitten by Nymeria. Told her to her face that she wished her sister dead. If it'd been me in Sansa's place, I'd've collected my sister and run for our father to tell him that the little beast had just attacked my sister and an unarmed peasant boy with a sword long before the smarmy little pissant could come back and start spreading lies about what happened. And the engagement would've been over the minute he raised even a hand to my sibling, let alone an edged weapon.

Say what you will about Catelyn's behavior towards Jon Snow while the children were growing up, but she at least tried to instill some Tully family values and Stark solidarity in her trueborn children. Sansa pretty much chucked all of that right back in her whole family's face when she decided to blame Arya for the whole incident on the King's Road and when she decided to go running to Cersei the morning that they were set to leave for Winterfell in a game of "Dad told me no but Imma ask Mom 'cause I know she'll say yes" to the 10th power. She basically decided to force her father's hand by having the queen make her father let her stay, either directly or indirectly through Robert. And no matter how much she's been through since then, she still hasn't actually learned anything from what happened as a result.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that she's half-smitten with Sandor and has reworked the memory of their last meeting to include that he kissed her when he didn't. Beauty and the Beast is just another fairy tale for her to live out, and one that paints her as the kind, gentle, merciful lady that sees beyond the ugly scars and healed the Hound's wounded heart. The fact that he was even tangentially involved in what happened to her family probably doesn't even register, let alone represent something that she might consider a negative and certainly not something that would be a romantic deal-breaker.

AFAIC, Arya will probably surprise all of us with whom she decides to marry, if the books ever take it that far. Right now, she's not even flowered and is nowhere near psychologically ready to consider that question. And if the books never go there? My headcanon says it'll be Gendry. Arya'll find a way to introduce him to a few other bastards of Robert's, it'll get figured out that he's the son of a former king, and then she'll be all: "So... I'm a lady but I'm nowhere near ladylike. You'd be a prince if the laws about baseborn children were different. Wanna move to Dorne or up to the Gift, have a whole bunch of kids out of wedlock, teach them all how to be the best fighters in the world and say a hearty f-you to Westerosi convention?" And Gendry'll shrug & say: "As milady commands." And then she'll slug him & they'll run away together.

Actually, as I've extensively argued on other threads, my personal contempt for Sansa comes from the fact that she consistently chooses her fairy tale above her family, especially Arya. At one point, she told Arya that she wished it'd been Arya, not Lady, that had been killed over Joffrey's being bitten by Nymeria. Told her to her face that she wished her sister dead....

Bless you.

Just bless you.

Sansa is unbearable.

Actually, as I've extensively argued on other threads, my personal contempt for Sansa comes from the fact that she consistently chooses her fairy tale above her family, especially Arya. At one point, she told Arya that she wished it'd been Arya, not Lady, that had been killed over Joffrey's being bitten by Nymeria. Told her to her face that she wished her sister dead. If it'd been me in Sansa's place, I'd've collected my sister and run for our father to tell him that the little beast had just attacked my sister and an unarmed peasant boy with a sword long before the smarmy little pissant could come back and start spreading lies about what happened. And the engagement would've been over the minute he raised even a hand to my sibling, let alone an edged weapon.

Say what you will about Catelyn's behavior towards Jon Snow while the children were growing up, but she at least tried to instill some Tully family values and Stark solidarity in her trueborn children. Sansa pretty much chucked all of that right back in her whole family's face when she decided to blame Arya for the whole incident on the King's Road and when she decided to go running to Cersei the morning that they were set to leave for Winterfell in a game of "Dad told me no but Imma ask Mom 'cause I know she'll say yes" to the 10th power. She basically decided to force her father's hand by having the queen make her father let her stay, either directly or indirectly through Robert. And no matter how much she's been through since then, she still hasn't actually learned anything from what happened as a result.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that she's half-smitten with Sandor and has reworked the memory of their last meeting to include that he kissed her when he didn't. Beauty and the Beast is just another fairy tale for her to live out, and one that paints her as the kind, gentle, merciful lady that sees beyond the ugly scars and healed the Hound's wounded heart. The fact that he was even tangentially involved in what happened to her family probably doesn't even register, let alone represent something that she might consider a negative and certainly not something that would be a romantic deal-breaker.

AFAIC, Arya will probably surprise all of us with whom she decides to marry, if the books ever take it that far. Right now, she's not even flowered and is nowhere near psychologically ready to consider that question. And if the books never go there? My headcanon says it'll be Gendry. Arya'll find a way to introduce him to a few other bastards of Robert's, it'll get figured out that he's the son of a former king, and then she'll be all: "So... I'm a lady but I'm nowhere near ladylike. You'd be a prince if the laws about baseborn children were different. Wanna move to Dorne or up to the Gift, have a whole bunch of kids out of wedlock, teach them all how to be the best fighters in the world and say a hearty f-you to Westerosi convention?" And Gendry'll shrug & say: "As milady commands." And then she'll slug him & they'll run away together.

I love your take on Arya and Gendry. :cheers:

And Sansa is insufferable for all the reasons you mention and more. I can't quite figure out what redemption looks like for her but I'm pretty sure her learning curve in humanity is far from over.

Sansa is learning the hard way. It disturbs me that she rarely thinks of Arya at all or and is not concerned about what happened to her. I think she is just trying to survive herself. Their reunion will be interesting, she probably will not know who Arya is since she will have another face and Arya can watch her and see how much she has changed.

GRRM loves growing his characters (emotionally) and Sansa is undergoing a serious growth spurt (as is Jamie). Arya will always be Arya. I am still curious about who Sansa will become, Arya is who she is and I do not see her changing, nor do I think she needs to.

Arya and Gendry. That is who I see her with. Hot and heavy with lots of moon tea and no commitments. Yup, that's what I want for our Arya.....

Archived