[Book Spoilers] Season 3 Finale?

mystikherb

I'm curious as to what events will take place in the final episode of this season, and what other people think it will include. There are some things I feel pretty confident will happen, because of what is known to happen in episode 9 and the title of episode 10 (finale). Below I'm going to write out what I think is a plausible finale for this season (the likelihood is perhaps arguable). It is also kind of what I personally would like to see in a finale for such a badass portion of the story. I also want to see what other people think though so please feel free to disagree/agree and throw out some ideas of where you think this season will end. So here goes "my" idea for the finale.

- Based on the knowledge that the Red Wedding occurs in ep. 9 (and probably at the very end), I think a good place for the finale to start would be with Arya dealing with the loss of Robb and Catelyn. Maybe have her and the Hound find Poliver and the others, letting Arya go out with a huge bang by brutally killing one of the men who held her prisoner and reclaiming needle for herself (finally).

- Jon Snow. I'm not sure where it will end, but I have two ideas. The less likely of the two would be the scene where Stannis sends his men out into the wildlings (which undoubtedly saves Jon's life). I would love the season ending with the surprise of Stannis arriving at the wall and having people wonder how that will affect season 4. That doesn't leave too much of Jon for season 4 (as far as Storm of Swords goes) but they could always add a bit from "Dance With Dragons" to season 4. Like they said, they're trying to adapt the whole saga into a show, and not necessarily book by book. The more likely ending for Jon Snow in season 3 is the Death of Yygritte, seeing as it is also a very powerful moment for his story and occurs a good bit closer to the middle of the book.

-Theon? Perhaps there could be a transformative moment where Theon officially considers himself "Reek" after the torture of Ramsay Bolton. This could also happen in episode 9, leaving Theon out of the finale to appear again in season 4.

-Joffrey Baratheon... I know a lot of people think that Joffrey's death may be better as a beginning of season 4, but I'm one of those few that wouldn't mind having his death in the finale. Fans of the show have been waiting long enough, and lets face it- those who only watch the show will need SOMETHING after Robb and Catelyn are gone (the show has played out their characters a bit more than the book in my opinion). A death of Joffrey would have people talking about the finale for a while, and personally I think that it's a huge finale worthy moment as opposed to a way to start a season. The last image of king's landing could be Tyrion getting arrested, which would really let season 4 get a good start. I could definitely see the potential that this will not be shown until season 4, however.

- Dany. This I feel pretty confident will be here stopping place (based on the title of the episode). The episode is called Mhysa, which means mother; this is associated with the scene in Storm of Swords where Dany's followers (the shit ton of them that she gains by this point) are calling out to her as "Mhysa" or "mother". She then calls them her children and goes out to meet them. I think that would be a cool image to have near the end of the finale, Dany getting the loyalty, love, and power she's deserved this whole time

-Ending- here's how I actually think (and hope) the episode will end. I think the point where Dany's followers are calling her mother will fade to black. Then it will open up on Merret Frey approaching the ruins of Oldstone and running into the brotherhood. The final scenes of the last episode being the reveal of Lady Stoneheart (undead Catelyn) and her unforgiving stare as Merret Frey dies would be a final bang to rival Dany's dragons (season 1 ending) and the White Walker/ Undead army (season 2 ending).

What do you guys think?

Nah, they're definitely going to have to save the Purple Wedding (Joffrey's death) for Season 4, since it happens around 300 pages from the end of the book, and they're already facing a problem in shortage of ASOS material for Season 4 (considering that the Red Wedding is already near the end of the second third of the book).

The final scenes of the last episode being the reveal of Lady Stoneheart (undead Catelyn) and her unforgiving stare as Merret Frey dies would be a final bang to rival Dany's dragons (season 1 ending) and the White Walker/ Undead army (season 2 ending).

That would be WAY too soon for Lady Stoneheart to appear, she's only been dead for one episode. It would be a cool finale, but I don't think it's going to happen.

It is hard to say, though, what big scene they are saving for the finale. I'd like for them to do PW, as that would mean lots of Oberyn for Season 4, but I don't think they'll do it. I feel the big cliffhanger will be Mance's attack on the Wall.

If the cliffhanger is Mance's attack then we'll probably get another freakin' horrible start of season 4 when they skip the actual battle like they did this season for the Battle of the Fist :(

If the cliffhanger is Mance's attack then we'll probably get another freakin' horrible start of season 4 when they skip the actual battle like they did this season for the Battle of the Fist :(

No. One of the producers said something about already being looking for extra money from HBO to film a battle even bigger than Blackwater Bay for Season 4. I'd have to look for the source, but it was clearly talking about this, I think.

I think these are more likely ending points this year

Daenerys - Freeing Yunkai and having slaves come out chanting Mhysa

Arya/Hound - Fallout from the RW, depression on the road etc

Jon/Wildlings - Jon escapes from Queenscrown and arrives at Castle Black

Sam/Bran - Pass through the Nightfort gate or meet each other at the castle

Kings Landing - Preparing for the Purple Wedding, celebrating the end of the war after Robb's demise

Theon/Ramsay - Flaying begins

Jaime/Brienne - Back on the road, almost at King's Landing

Final scene - UnCat, she is resurrected a few days after the wedding. It would work as an opener for next year as well but I don't know what other supernatural scene they could end on. Maybe the Nightfort gate?

Nah, they're definitely going to have to save the Purple Wedding (Joffrey's death) for Season 4, since it happens around 300 pages from the end of the book, and they're already facing a problem in shortage of ASOS material for Season 4 (considering that the Red Wedding is already near the end of the second third of the book).

Yeah I definitely can definitely see how it'll likely happen that way. As far as running out of ASOS material I wouldn't be that surprised if season 4 would have some of AFFC and ADWD material showing up in season 4 (near the end)

i wouldn't mind if the purple wedding was in this particular episode because it would really make this season so f***ing epic however, it makes me wonder what valid material they would have for season 4 so that its won't just drag on after the PW.

This is what I would LIke:

Jon: Battle of Castle Black

Daenerys: Taking Unsullied, though now this seems obvious to happen way earlier so I suppose i will settle for freeing Yunkai'i slaves

Bran: Warging Summer to attack all the wildlings, otherwise just to not appear.

Stannis: setting sail to the Wall

Arya: arriving at the RW and getting an axe to the head.

I agree with the whole uncat being revealed in this episode as well, because it is stated in the book that she is revived only days after the RW.

Tyrion: (IMO he doesn't do anything really in this book until after the PW so he should just be left out, he already has too much screen time IMO) I can't bare another scene with shae, or sibel kekilli

Think about this, a lot of the battles in the books we don't see but we hear about them. Blackwater was shown in the book because it was that important, and the Battle of Castle Black was shown because that was important.

I for one believe Jon's story will end with him either escaping or showing up at Mole's Town to warn them.

The Battle at Castle Black will be shown in Season 4 because it is important to the story just as Blackwater was.

Y'all need to stop complaining about Battle at the Fist of the First Men because as I recall we did not see it in the books we only heard the beginning and Chett's chapter ended.

Believe me we will see the Battla at Castle Black maybe in the first or second episode of season 4.

While before the Season started I was on the PW will be this season train, I've come to the conclusion that it has to be next season. I think the KL arc this season is about the influence of power from the people heading in the direction of the Tyrells (setting up for the Tyrell v.s Cersei battles of power in the latter half of SoS). So the episode will end with the Lannisters celebrating the RW with some juxtaposition of the Tyrell's showing they have the real power in KL.

I think the scene that everyone keeps referring to from the trailer (where Joffrey and Margery both have crowns on) is prob some marriage rehearsal or announcement in which Cersei is replaced (by Joffrey's descision) by Margery (modestly accepting wearing the crown early). Ending with a cryptic foreshadowing by the QoT like "This wedding is going to change everything" /scene and cut to UnCat's awakening

That would be WAY too soon for Lady Stoneheart to appear, she's only been dead for one episode. It would be a cool finale, but I don't think it's going to happen.

It is hard to say, though, what big scene they are saving for the finale. I'd like for them to do PW, as that would mean lots of Oberyn for Season 4, but I don't think they'll do it. I feel the big cliffhanger will be Mance's attack on the Wall.

I think they could do it by adding a few uncat scenes into season 4 that weren't necessarily in the books. I know there are a lot of purists there but I definitely enjoy the show in a different way from the books and haven't minded the changes so much, especially when the show does so well with the important things. Much in the way that they've shown what's going on with Theon earlier than the books, they could show some of Stoneheart's search for vengeance every couple of episodes. That way they could have the crazy finale of her being revealed and not have to wait two seasons to continue that storyline.

What do people think for the actual final scene?

If PW is in, Tryion's arrest would be a good cliffhanger. I was one for PW S4, but the speed we're going at now makes me think it might be this episode. They can always slip the new characters and missing scenes into early S4 anyway, and I think the climax of the whole thing would make up for missing moments. Plus as mentioned, it is a tight ending to Kings Landing plots as well as a natural starting point for next year. But I also agree it would be just as good next series so who knows!

If not, I don't think many other story lines are strong enough at this point after RW ep 9 for the last scene of the series. They'll all make the finale great, but the only one I can see as a real draw dropping ending is UnCat. It's shocking and in keeping with the supernatural finale conclusions of dragons and the other's army. I know it's early to reveal her, but for TV purposes it does make some sense.

I did read in an interview with GRRM that it is very likely that season four will very likely contain some early moments from AFFC and ADWD. Seeing as the show is first and foremost and adaptation of ASOIAF rather than a book-by-book replication for tv, I feel like they could add the PW the season finale and still have plenty of material for season 4. With Tyrion's trial, more scenes with Theon/Reek, Arya's journey to (and possibly arrival) to Braavos (including the apparent death of the Hound), Possible added scenes of Lady Stoneheart, Jaime/Brienne alliance, Daenerys fighting and conquering Meereen, Jon Snow becoming Lord Commander and meeting Stannis, and a lot more that they could still have a vastly epic season while including later events in season 3 such as PW and revealing of Lady Stoneheart.

Here's the interview I mentioned, it's a very good one

http://www.adriasnews.com/2012/10/george-r-r-martin-interview.html

here is my list inconsequential order of where the characters will be end of season 3:

Tywin= Dead. yea i know impossible. but i see a rewrite

Joffrey= Dead. also i get it very unlikely but i want it NOW

Robb Stark= Dead.

Beric Dondarrion= finally Dead.

Lady Catelyn= Un-Dead

The Hound= left for Dead...

Lord Commander Mormont= do i even need to say it?

Ygritte= damn i wanna see them tittes & firecrotch before shes DEAD. most likely by a crow or falling off wall but could be JS

Ros= hanging above Tyrion's bed just like daddy promised. Dead

Shae= arrow in her gut floating in Blackwater Bay. Dead

Sansa= with LF heading to fingers

Tyrion= heading to mopatis by means of Varys being forced by Jamie to let him go

Theon=now Reek... but what is dead may never die but rises again harder & stronger. theon is dead as fuck

Arya= heading towards Braavos with needle & a special coin...

Jon Snow= somehow gets back to Castle Black with Samwell & Gilly & monster & ghost. but sammy boys got a secret!

Stannis= the riteful king of westeros has arrived at the wall

Bran= heading towards Bloodraven

Samwell= with jon. brought his new woman & her lil monster

Melisandre= at the wall & finally meets her new crush

Danny= in meereen & she intends to rule as Queen

Brienne= has oathkeeper & her new right hand man Podrick looking for the missing tyrion/sansa

Jorah= hit the road jack & don'tcha come back. unless its in season 4 with tyrion!

Thoros= has got a new boss...

now some of my predictions require major rewrites from the book but i just have a feeling the last 3 episodes will have book readers saying... wtf is going on this is nothing like the SoS ending.

i have read the numerous posts on this forum that quote GRRM/D&D saying how season 4 will be the last half of SoS with a lil bit of book 4 & 5 sprinkled in. while this could work i think the plotline for 3 seperate books would be to difficult to mesh together (i know 4&5 happen at same time just different locations). i also dont want to see season 4 be all about the SoS storylines they didn't finish this season.

Archived