[Book Spoilers] Season 3 Finale?

mystikherb

Ep 9 and 10 are a 2 stage finale.

Ep 9 - red wedding from all points of view, Stannis sets sail, Tyrion's wedding,

Ep 10 - yunkai, Battle at castle black, night'sgate, maybe Arya recovering from blow to head and warging the wolf to find her Mom's corpse

tyrion's wedding is happening in episode 8, that's confirmed. and stannis shouldn't set sail until next season, the writers are already facing a problem as to the lack of ASOS material to put in season 4. PW, tyrion's trial, battle of castle black and stannis to the rescue, tywin and lysa's death... they have to savor these moments so we don't run out of things to show next season. and what's all this about arya being a warg and finding nymeria? in the books all arya's shown is potential for warging and nymeria hasn't appeared at all.

I disagree. I think it's possible if they do it right. They could have scenes in episode 9 that lead up to and begin the royal wedding. Leaving episode 10 with the humiliation of Tyrion by Joffrey and then the long-awaited death of the blonde brat. I think that having Tyrion's discovery (Joffrey ordering the assassination of Bran in season 1) and that conversation along with the start of the PW in the same episode as the RW could be pretty ominous. The season finale could easily make an awesome scene of Joffrey making an ass of himself with Tyrion and then a drawn out death by poison in fifteen minutes (even 20 if they have to). After all, Dany completely overthrew astapor, set every slave free, and marched out with a massive army in about 6 minutes. If they included Joffrey's death in 20 minutes, it would leave plenty of time in the episode. A few minutes for Arya to deal with her losses (similar time for Bran's ending) with maybe some slightly longer segments to tie off Dany and The North (Jon Snow, Sam, the Wall, ect). Then about 2 minutes to unveil UnCat.

I really think that the ninth episode will focus entirely on, and end with, the red wedding. i just don't see anything else happening. and also, i feel like if they were doing the Purple Wedding this year, everyone would know about it; I mean, doesn't everybody know about the Red Wedding? No spoilers to that effect, no mentions by any of the cast members in interviews. Also, the writers said that only ONE long-awaited scene will happen in season 3, which is clearly the Red Wedding. I think everyone wants things to happen too fast. at the rate people seem to want them to go (many people want arya and hound's inn scene to happen, even for her to go to braavos) they'll get through ASOS in episode 4 of next season.

Long time lurker, first time poster.I have a theory that the PW will happen in the last episode. Other than the obvious allusions we can make to this episode being called Mother, we also do know that the producers D&D have been hyping this season to no end. They keep saying in interviews that this was the season they were looking forward to the most.

In the books, they happen pretty close to each other. Now ever since episode 10 of season 2, we have been hearing about this royal wedding. They have actually mentioned it in every single episode of the season 3. In my opinion, spending an entire season leading up to a wedding and then not having it until a year later seems a little strange. Non book readers would be confused to why it is being held up. While it would be a surprise, to have it in season 4 in one of the earlier episodes, it wouldn't work well with the scheme the producers have already created. Also I think it would not be a problem to introduct the Lord of Highgarden and the Martells until later because 1) Olenna has already established her son as a non-character, so he is not really needed yet and 2), they can always just have Oberyn at the wedding but not seen and inculde him later. I don't think thses are great reasons to write of the possibility.

There are plenty of things that go on in season 4: after effects of the RW and PW, danaerys' adventures, aryas journey, bran and jon in the north, tyrions trial and resolution with tywin, meeting the martells, etc.

Another thing that I have noticed is the constant mention of Littlefinger leaving to go to the Eyrie. There is no way they would have him go and not take Sansa with him because otherwise all of this constant talk would be for nothing if he doesnt leave until season 4.

In all, I think that television shows have to deal with people that have not read the books and to keep them interested. I think the symmetry of the Lannisters getting their dues echoes the wrongs done to the Starks in Season One (Bran being push and Ned being killed). And if people don't see any kind of retribution for the Starks, they will start to get disinterested.

And what would be a bigger surprise of hyping "weddings" to have not 2, but 3 weddings in one season, I think it would keep everyone talking for months to come and look forward to all of the fallout that is to come.

I really think that the ninth episode will focus entirely on, and end with, the red wedding. i just don't see anything else happening. and also, i feel like if they were doing the Purple Wedding this year, everyone would know about it; I mean, doesn't everybody know about the Red Wedding? No spoilers to that effect, no mentions by any of the cast members in interviews. Also, the writers said that only ONE long-awaited scene will happen in season 3, which is clearly the Red Wedding. I think everyone wants things to happen too fast. at the rate people seem to want them to go (many people want arya and hound's inn scene to happen, even for her to go to braavos) they'll get through ASOS in episode 4 of next season.

Well that's not exactly what they've hinted. There's been no official statement where somebody behind the show said "Hey guys, the Red Wedding scene will happen at the end of episode 9. And where did you hear them say there will only be one long awaited moment? I've never heard them say anything like that at all. The reason that the RW has been hinted at so much to the point that we know when it happens is because it was the scene that D&D read that original inspired them to make a tv show. That doesn't mean that nothing else of that magnitude happens in the next episode. In fact, if it didn't, what would be the point of not making the RW the finale? I'm not saying that it's definitely going to happen, but I could see it going either way at this point. And as far as it being to quick... remember that ASOS is not anywhere near double the size of GOT and COK but is being made into two seasons. As far as I'm concerned, that merely means that it is possible for them to have the PW in season 3, based on the fact that enough crazy shit happens in the later parts of SOS and the earlier parts of FFC and DWD for season 4 to keep the show fresh and awesome.

tyrion's wedding is happening in episode 8, that's confirmed. and stannis shouldn't set sail until next season, the writers are already facing a problem as to the lack of ASOS material to put in season 4.

I've seen someone say this a couple times now (that the writers are already having trouble with season 4 material). How do you know that? I've never seen them say anything like that? Is there some interview or statement that I haven't seen where they mention problems with season 4? I just don't think that's likely, seeing as any problem with SOS material for season 4 can be fixed with parts from FFC and DWD.

Well that's not exactly what they've hinted. There's been no official statement where somebody behind the show said "Hey guys, the Red Wedding scene will happen at the end of episode 9. And where did you hear them say there will only be one long awaited moment? I've never heard them say anything like that at all. The reason that the RW has been hinted at so much to the point that we know when it happens is because it was the scene that D&D read that original inspired them to make a tv show. That doesn't mean that nothing else of that magnitude happens in the next episode. In fact, if it didn't, what would be the point of not making the RW the finale? I'm not saying that it's definitely going to happen, but I could see it going either way at this point. And as far as it being to quick... remember that ASOS is not anywhere near double the size of GOT and COK but is being made into two seasons. As far as I'm concerned, that merely means that it is possible for them to have the PW in season 3, based on the fact that enough crazy shit happens in the later parts of SOS and the earlier parts of FFC and DWD for season 4 to keep the show fresh and awesome.

I've seen someone say this a couple times now (that the writers are already having trouble with season 4 material). How do you know that? I've never seen them say anything like that? Is there some interview or statement that I haven't seen where they mention problems with season 4? I just don't think that's likely, seeing as any problem with SOS material for season 4 can be fixed with parts from FFC and DWD.

Well, in an interview they stated that this season would cover one of the most long-awaited scenes, for them and the viewers alike. the way this was phrased, as far as i can tell (I only read the interview) was that it would be the only one appearing THIS season. And, well, everybody knows that it's going to be in episode 9: look at the title! (btw, don't you think if the purple wedding were to happen, the title of the tenth episode would be something which hinted more to it?) plus, the ninth episode of each season is usually the real climax (ned's beheading, battle of blackwater) with the final episode being a character round-off with a huge supernatural reveal to end the season, so that's a good reason to keep the red wedding in the ninth episode. and i just think that to do the red wedding justice, they're gonna have to focus at least most of the episode on it; maybe we'll have a couple of scenes in the beginning, but... My prediction: episode 10 will focus on dany's conquering of Yunkai, with other round-off scenes for arya, bran, jon, and a couple KL scenes including the scene between tywin and joffrey. the ending will probably either be UnCat or something to do with Bran. it just doesn't seem likely that such a momentous event as the PW could happen without book readers knowing about it in advance. if it does happen, I'll stand corrected, but it just seems like way too much to squeeze into two episodes, and just the fact that we don't know that it's happening seems to indicate that it won't, as it's such a huge event.

Another thing that I have noticed is the constant mention of Littlefinger leaving to go to the Eyrie. There is no way they would have him go and not take Sansa with him because otherwise all of this constant talk would be for nothing if he doesnt leave until season 4.

Littlefinger is leaving to go the Eyrie and not taking Sansa with him. We're going to see him and Lysa this season (episode 7, I think).

Just to add my tuppence worth. One of my friends in currently beating his way through the books, trying his best not to get spoilered as he does so. It's been especially hard as he is manager of a hotel in Belfast, one that has been dealing with the GOT crew. He's been hearing snippets of info, which he's been relating back to me. I knew when they filmed the RW, as he was able to tell me enough of what he'd overheard as to have no doubt. There's been a few other details too, but there hasn't been anything that would lead me to believe that the PW was filmed here, last year. Perhaps it's a case of not being in the right place, at the right time, or that the crew was simply just so elated about shooting the RW, that the PW paled into insignificance, but I certainly have strong doubts as to its inclusion this season.

yah theyre definitely saving the purple wedding for season 4. i see next season beginning with tyrion waiting outside of king's landing as we get introduced to oberyn martell!

I know! first episode of next season could be the introduction of oberyn as well as an intro of where the characters are, and could end with the start of the purple wedding and tyrion figuring out who tried to kill bran first season. then second episode: purple wedding, hound and arya at the inn, ends with sansa leaving for the vale with littlefinger and ros' death.

I think a lot of people here are wishing for the PW to happen this season, but it is much more logical for it to happen next season. Arguments that show watchers would lose interest, or become infuriated and simply stop watching are invalid. We all kept reading the books, didn't we? A much greater investment in time and effort than watching the telly.

And there will be plenty of kick ass moments to go around to keep people's spirits and interest up in S3E10 even without the PW, as has already been mentioned.

O.K.....reasons why I'm still thinking the purple wedding will happen this season.

1. Too much build up to a royal wedding this season for it not to happen.

2. Melisandre reveals a secret to Gendry according to episode descriptions released for the 7th episode. I'm guessing she knows Gendry is a son of a king and he is the Edric Storm substitute. if this happens and she gets blood from a king then things could start unfolding rapidly.

3.The April 30 interview with Bryan Cogman (See news) reveals that there are still more new characters introduced even after the mid season appearances of Selyse, Grey Worm, and Shireen. I suspect one of these will be Oberyn Martell.

4. In Episode 8 Davos demands proof from Melisandre and this could be something similar to the leeches scenes in the book and/or seeing Joffrey, Balon, and Robb's death in the fire.

5. King 's Landing hosts a wedding also in Episode 8 (Second Sons). this could be the arrival of Oberyn. Tyrion and Sansa spend the night together which I assume is after they are married.Danny meets the Titan's Bastard.

Sam and Gilly meet an older gentleman which could be Coldhands (another new character introduced). I'm assuming Robb must be working his way back to the wall because in the book Sam makes it back before Robb.

6. So we are left with episodes 9 and 10 which could easily combine the red wedding, purple wedding, and Dany in Yunaki. You will have three mothers emphasized in the finale (Catelyn...and Ayra's wanting to save her); Cersei grief and helplessness as Joffrey is dying; and of course the free slaves calling to their mother Daenerys (Mhysa).

As always...just my best speculation.

O.K.....reasons why I'm still thinking the purple wedding will happen this season.

1. Too much build up to a royal wedding this season for it not to happen.

2. Melisandre reveals a secret to Gendry according to episode descriptions released for the 7th episode. I'm guessing she knows Gendry is a son of a king and he is the Edric Storm substitute. if this happens and she gets blood from a king then things could start unfolding rapidly.

3.The April 30 interview with Bryan Cogman (See news) reveals that there are still more new characters introduced even after the mid season appearances of Selyse, Grey Worm, and Shireen. I suspect one of these will be Oberyn Martell.

4. In Episode 8 Davos demands proof from Melisandre and this could be something similar to the leeches scenes in the book and/or seeing Joffrey, Balon, and Robb's death in the fire.

5. King 's Landing hosts a wedding also in Episode 8 (Second Sons). this could be the arrival of Oberyn. Tyrion and Sansa spend the night together which I assume is after they are married.Danny meets the Titan's Bastard.

Sam and Gilly meet an older gentleman which could be Coldhands (another new character introduced). I'm assuming Robb must be working his way back to the wall because in the book Sam makes it back before Robb.

6. So we are left with episodes 9 and 10 which could easily combine the red wedding, purple wedding, and Dany in Yunaki. You will have three mothers emphasized in the finale (Catelyn...and Ayra's wanting to save her); Cersei grief and helplessness as Joffrey is dying; and of course the free slaves calling to their mother Daenerys (Mhysa).

As always...just my best speculation.

My refutations:

1. They have to build up the PW in this season. If, as I think they will, they show it as a shocker beginning to season 4, they can't just suddenly have the royal wedding happening with no mention of it coming. the best thing they could do was to have the red wedding happen and the PW looming, so that they can use it to open next season without confusion.

2. Things will unfold rapidly. The Red Wedding in episode nine, and probably Balon's death in episode 8 or 10.

3. They're probably talking about Daario and the Titan's Bastard. They haven't cast Oberyn yet so I imagine he won't be appearing this season.

4. I think it's the dungeon scene where Melisandre visits him in his cell to tell him about how Stannis is the god's champion.

5. (You mean Jon right? Robb never reaches the wall :) )

6. I believe that the Red Wedding will take up almost all of episode 9. I can see them having a few scenes elsewhere at the start, before Robb arrives at the Twins and they show the whole wedding; the second part of the episode would show everything going down. Then in episode 10, and I've said it before: the climactic episode usually happens episode 9 (Blackwater, Baelor). The season finale is basically just a character round-off with a supernatural cliffhanger ending. Dany conquering Yunkai and a possible Battle of Castle Black will be more than enough climactic material to help along the character-driven plots: Sandor consoling Arya, Bran and Sam and Coldhands, etc. There's no need for a Purple Wedding.

What I think:

-Dany freeing the Yunkish slaves, cheers of "Myhsa"

-Sam and Gilly being instructed to find Bran, but not finding him

-Bran & co rest on a tower while Summer helps Jon escape, who rides to CB (Doubt we'll see it, though)

-Arya is in fact alive and continues with the Hound, Nymeria finds the body

-Jaime and Brienne share another bonding scene

-Ramsay reveals himself to Theon (maybe S4)

-Joffrey celebrates the Young Wolf's death - no Purple Wedding

-Beric's sacrifice

Sorry....I did mean Jon....not Robb in my previous post.

Perhaps I'm in the minority but when reading SoS it was Joffrey getting his just desserts that got me out of my chair and shouting hallelujah. The red wedding was upsetting but I was expecting something to happen to Robb after he married Jeyne Westerling (Talisa). Maybe we will get more clues after next week to better ascertain the finale.

My preference for the final scenes in King's Landing this season would be Joffrey choking (would have to wait till next season to see if he survives) or Tyrion being arrested.

I'm trying to keep the expectations not so high, but have to admit I believe that the PW has to happen in season 3. First of all, I guess more or less everyone agrees upon the RW happening in the 9th ep. If a huge turn of events like RW is not going to be in a season finale, then sth even more shocking has to happen. Imagine the reaction of the TV show viewers, who have seen the RW just a week before, oblivious of a more shocking scene in the finale. That would totally be sth to talk over a year. Agree with the mother connections, the 3 mothers' arc would be great. My guess, KL arc, Tyrion gets arrested, Essos arc, Yunkai slaves calling Dany mother, final scene Un-Cat. And the 4th season opening can be Cersei remembering about "Maggy"...

Arguments that show watchers would lose interest, or become infuriated and simply stop watching are invalid. We all kept reading the books, didn't we? A much greater investment in time and effort than watching the telly.

That's a spurious disregarding of an argument.

You didn't have to wait a year between the RW and the PW. They would be infuriated because in general people route for the good guys, and the Starks are portrayed that way. It's completely valid to think some will not watch it when this happens with little to no consequence to the Lannisters. I'm pretty sure there is no one that is watching to see what Joffrey's next moves are, so to have

Robb and Cat die, Bran and Rickon separate and one go beyond the wall, Arya still kidnapped with the Hound, and Sansa completely heartbroken and in grief while in a forced marriage to a member of the family who killed or tore apart her family, there will be immense fan reaction, if not complete disinterest. If the the next two books really do have enough material for three seasons as some claim, there is no Stark revenge for the next four years until Winds and then someday Dream of Spring.

You do recall that many fans were nearly turned off when Eddard died, don't you?

I'm trying to keep the expectations not so high, but have to admit I believe that the PW has to happen in season 3. First of all, I guess more or less everyone agrees upon the RW happening in the 9th ep. If a huge turn of events like RW is not going to be in a season finale, then sth even more shocking has to happen.

But the ninth episode is usually the shocking climax. look at the first 2 seasons: Ned's beheading and the battle of the blackwater. episode 10 is not really the climax, just the last scene is usually epic (to end the season), but mostly it's an episode which is trying to set up where the characters will be next season.

That's a spurious disregarding of an argument.

You didn't have to wait a year between the RW and the PW. They would be infuriated because in general people route for the good guys, and the Starks are portrayed that way. It's completely valid to think some will not watch it when this happens with little to no consequence to the Lannisters. I'm pretty sure there is no one that is watching to see what Joffrey's next moves are, so to have

Robb and Cat die, Bran and Rickon separate and one go beyond the wall, Arya still kidnapped with the Hound, and Sansa completely heartbroken and in grief while in a forced marriage to a member of the family who killed or tore apart her family, there will be immense fan reaction, if not complete disinterest. If the the next two books really do have enough material for three seasons as some claim, there is no Stark revenge for the next four years until Winds and then someday Dream of Spring.

You do recall that many fans were nearly turned off when Eddard died, don't you?

I had to wait more than a year to read between 'game of thrones' and 'clash of kings', all the while being thoroughly depressed that ned was dead.

Archived