[Book Spoilers] Season 3 Finale?

mystikherb

If you asked me a few months ago I would have said that LS was definitely going to be at the end of season 3, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be something for the first episode of season 4. Lots of shows who seemingly kill off major characters let the death rest till the new season, and just give out hints that said character might come back...

If you asked me a few months ago I would have said that LS was definitely going to be at the end of season 3, but now I'm beginning to wonder if it wouldn't be something for the first episode of season 4. Lots of shows who seemingly kill off major characters let the death rest till the new season, and just give out hints that said character might come back...

What will happen if she's gone, yet she's seen in studios, filming, has to participate in Comic Con, etc.? Flashbacks are non-existant, only Bran has dreams and the House of the Undying was a one-case scenario. I mean, they can try to hide all this, but it sounds too complicated. Plus, I think it gives a good feeling for Stark fans to see that she's coming back, even if they don't know how.

Again, they could try to justify her presence in the studios with she being present in Bran's dreams.

What will happen if she's gone, yet she's seen in studios, filming, has to participate in Comic Con, etc.? Flashbacks are non-existant, only Bran has dreams and the House of the Undying was a one-case scenario. I mean, they can try to hide all this, but it sounds too complicated. Plus, I think it gives a good feeling for Stark fans to see that she's coming back, even if they don't know how.

Again, they could try to justify her presence in the studios with she being present in Bran's dreams.

Stoneheart is not a feel-good moment for the Starks. She's a zombie hellbent for vengeance. She's like the cat from Pet Sematary, she comes back all wrong. It's a dark twist, it's not happy. Did you think it was a cheery moment when you were reading?

As for justify why she's there, other shows don't have this issue so I can't see why GoT would. Season 4 of True Blood killed off Tara in the last episode and left it at that. In the first episode of season 5, they sorted it out. Similarly, the fates of Theon and Davos were left unresolved until the new season. It's hardly an issue.

Still, they might do it this season, but I think it would work better in the next.

Stoneheart is not a feel-good moment for the Starks. She's a zombie hellbent for vengeance. She's like the cat from Pet Sematary, she comes back all wrong. It's a dark twist, it's not happy. Did you think it was a cheery moment when you were reading?

As for justify why she's there, other shows don't have this issue so I can't see why GoT would. Season 4 of True Blood killed off Tara in the last episode and left it at that. In the first episode of season 5, they sorted it out. Similarly, the fates of Theon and Davos were left unresolved until the new season. It's hardly an issue.

Still, they might do it this season, but I think it would work better in the next.

I was kinda in the Stark bandwagon at first and Lady Stoneheart coming back was a positive thing, like, "There's hope yet", although it was kinda shocking.

I didn't know it was fine with other shows, so I guess they can do it, although I believe it'd be a perfect way to end the season.

Oh don't get me wrong, I was rooting for the Starks too, still am if we count Jon is a Stark, but while Cat's coming back might initially be seen as a positive thing it's pretty clear there's very little left of Cat in LS. I suppose the idea of revenge might be good, but the fact that she basically comes back as a zombie after I got attached to her as a POV, always left a bad taste in my mouth. She might be avenging the Starks, but she's not Cat anymore.

If all they show is UnCat coming back to "life" it'll look like a good thing. Until early Season 4 where we actually see her in action and discover that, okay, zombies = not exactly good.

* I’d open the finale with Arya, staring at nothing, not speaking, barely moving. Maybe with muted sound. The Hound tries to talk to her but all she hears is mumbling – or maybe The Rains of Castamere playing. Cut to Sansa getting the news. Perhaps cut to Jon arriving at the Wall and getting the news. (Depends on whether they’ll pay attention to the timeline, or go for maximum effect.)

* A scene with the Lannisters talking about it. Tywin repeating to Tyrion that he needs to get Sansa pregnant. Tyrion talking about guest rights, Tywin claiming he saved countless lives. Cut to Jaime and Brienne, perhaps with them hearing the news. Qyburn being creepy.

* Essos. Jorah/Daario battling for Dany.

* Bran, innocently unaware of what’s happened, reaches the Wall. Osha refuses to go north of it, we say farewell to her and Rickon. Bran tells a ghost story, then Sam pops out of the well.

* Jon arriving at the Wall could go here instead.

* Joffrey taunting Sansa, insisting everyone is his to torment. Tywin tells him only a weak king needs to go around saying he’s the king. Joffrey mouths off about what Tywin did during the Rebellion.

* Perhaps a Tyrell scene?

* Littlefinger/Lysa and Yara scenes somewhere around here. Ditto Dragonstone with “mercy” and Davos pointing out that only two kings have died, not three.

* Dany taking Yunkai. “Mhysa!”

* And then the BWB finds Cat, Thoros prays over her, her eyes open. FIN.

Either way, with two episodes to go there are a few thing that still need to happen. Some of them we know exactly when they will happen, others we just know will happen, and a couple that are most likely going to happen but haven't been confirmed.

-Sam meeting ColdHands

-Bran and Reeds separate from Osha and Rickon

-Sam finds Bran, leads them to Coldhands

-Red Wedding

-Arya reaction to RW/Hopefully Nymeria scene

-Dany liberating Yunkai/Mhysa scene

-Queenscrown (both for Bran and Jon)

-Jon returning to the wall

-Stannis/Davos mercy for Gendry/Maybe NW letter

-KL developments: Sansa RW reaction, Joff vs. Tywin, and maybe Loras joining KG

-Ramsay Bolton reveal

-Balon death/Greyjoys

-Jaime/Brienne season closure

-?maybe UnCat?

Sorry if I've left out anything major, but the point is that however they split it up we have an awesome couple of episodes coming our way.

I started to dislike LS after her meeting with Brienne, but before that it was all fine. Or that's how I believe it was at least, I could remember wrong now.

This confusion for book readers over weather or not Stoneheart is a heroic-revenge character or a villian is a contributing factor to why some people felt FfC dragged. GRRM cleaned house at the end of SoS in terms of villians. Major ones died and Jamie and the Hound were brought over to a more sympathic side. For a large part of FfC and even DwD we have very few opponents to root against! Im all for GRRM's writing "grey characters", and not focusing on Baddie vs Goodies, but there was definitely some motivational loss.

This is why im positive D&D are feeling the need to establish House Bolton so early in the show. Not just to give the RW a heavier feeling of deception, but to win over the audience against hating House Bolton, so when we lose some of our favorite Lannisters who we love to hate, there will be no villan absence.

Don't know when LS will appear on the show, but i have a feeling D&D will establish right away that we are not rooting for her revenge. She is a villian from the start.

If all they show is UnCat coming back to "life" it'll look like a good thing. Until early Season 4 where we actually see her in action and discover that, okay, zombies = not exactly good.

* I’d open the finale with Arya, staring at nothing, not speaking, barely moving. Maybe with muted sound. The Hound tries to talk to her but all she hears is mumbling – or maybe The Rains of Castamere playing. Cut to Sansa getting the news. Perhaps cut to Jon arriving at the Wall and getting the news. (Depends on whether they’ll pay attention to the timeline, or go for maximum effect.)

* A scene with the Lannisters talking about it. Tywin repeating to Tyrion that he needs to get Sansa pregnant. Tyrion talking about guest rights, Tywin claiming he saved countless lives. Cut to Jaime and Brienne, perhaps with them hearing the news. Qyburn being creepy.

* Essos. Jorah/Daario battling for Dany.

* Bran, innocently unaware of what’s happened, reaches the Wall. Osha refuses to go north of it, we say farewell to her and Rickon. Bran tells a ghost story, then Sam pops out of the well.

* Jon arriving at the Wall could go here instead.

* Joffrey taunting Sansa, insisting everyone is his to torment. Tywin tells him only a weak king needs to go around saying he’s the king. Joffrey mouths off about what Tywin did during the Rebellion.

* Perhaps a Tyrell scene?

* Littlefinger/Lysa and Yara scenes somewhere around here. Ditto Dragonstone with “mercy” and Davos pointing out that only two kings have died, not three.

* Dany taking Yunkai. “Mhysa!”

* And then the BWB finds Cat, Thoros prays over her, her eyes open. FIN.

What about Arya's dream pulling Cat out of the water? Isn't that the only thing that brings her to accept that she's dead?

I have a feeling this may be when they start showing her warg abilities. Show her having nightmares about that day. Maybe have her haunted by the Rains of Castamere. Then have her seeing Cat pulled out of the water. Then have her admit "I know she's dead." Then an overhead, slighty zooming shot of a group of men standing around her, with one kneeling next to her muttering. Then show Cat's eyes open, the way Bran's did when he woke up in episode s1e2.

That way, we know Arya is a warg too, Catelyn is revived, we don't yet know that Beric is dead/disagreed with Thoros, and the unsullied can argue and speculate and be hopeful for a year until they see that Catelyn is bent on revenge.

Its going to be a 'F**K yeah!' moment for non-book folks and a good portion of book readers as well.

What about Arya's dream pulling Cat out of the water? Isn't that the only thing that brings her to accept that she's dead?

I have a feeling this may be when they start showing her warg abilities. Show her having nightmares about that day. Maybe have her haunted by the Rains of Castamere. Then have her seeing Cat pulled out of the water. Then have her admit "I know she's dead." Then an overhead, slighty zooming shot of a group of men standing around her, with one kneeling next to her muttering. Then show Cat's eyes open, the way Bran's did when he woke up in episode s1e2.

That way, we know Arya is a warg too, Catelyn is revived, we don't yet know that Beric is dead/disagreed with Thoros, and the unsullied can argue and speculate and be hopeful for a year until they see that Catelyn is bent on revenge.

And I just realized – The List. We’ve got to have Arya coming out of her fugue state to repeat her list. Maybe leaving the Hound off it, maybe not yet. You know, he’s talking, she’s acting like he’s not there, she hears The Rains of Castamere playing… Then somehow he gets her attention – cuffs the back of her head? – and she turns her head to stare eerily at him. Then she says: “Joffrey. Cersei. Tywin. Ilyn Payne…”

I like ASOIAF because it will fuck with your head about "good" moments and "bad" moments. I think the LS moment is a "fuck yeah" kind of moment, but the reason I see it as positive is complicated. I think LS is fucked up and is clearly not the same person anymore (though I think her change is not because of death, but because of the manner of her death and the life leading up to it), but to be brutally honest about how I feel- I'd kind of like to see some fucked up shit happen to the people who have done the same kind of shit to the Starks. Maybe not Jaime Lannister, but I did find myself very happy that GRRM took this route with her. I think when she's revealed and her search for revenge is revealed, there will be at least a fair amount of unsullied fans that will feel similarly. But that's what's so awesome about this kind of story, it evokes situations that don't have a set positive or negative connotation.

Joffrey "challenging" Tywin obviously has to do with the fact that he'll appoint Loras to the Kingsguard, which may lead into their argument from the books, where Joffrey claims that Tywin hid while "my father" rebelled and won against the Targaryen's.

No, I'm pretty sure the Joffrey/Tywin stuff refers to the blowup over Joffrey wanting to serve Robb's head to Sansa at the wedding, since Joffrey's "everyone is mine to torment!" line in the trailer is pretty obviously an addition to that scene in the book.

I like ASOIAF because it will fuck with your head about "good" moments and "bad" moments. I think the LS moment is a "fuck yeah" kind of moment, but the reason I see it as positive is complicated. I think LS is fucked up and is clearly not the same person anymore (though I think her change is not because of death, but because of the manner of her death and the life leading up to it), but to be brutally honest about how I feel- I'd kind of like to see some fucked up shit happen to the people who have done the same kind of shit to the Starks. Maybe not Jaime Lannister, but I did find myself very happy that GRRM took this route with her. I think when she's revealed and her search for revenge is revealed, there will be at least a fair amount of unsullied fans that will feel similarly. But that's what's so awesome about this kind of story, it evokes situations that don't have a set positive or negative connotation.

Great points. It will definitely be a F** Yeah kind of moment, but I think many of the 'unsullied' (Is this what we call non-book readers?) will want some vengence. You have all different levels of good and bad.

I've been thinking about something lately...

I could definitly see an end to the Theon arc this season :

In KL : a Small Council scene with Tywin stating that to thanks Roose Bolton in his help against the North, his bastard son will be given rya Stark to marry and thus will become Lord of Winterfell.

(many people will be like : "Wow ? Wtf ? Arya ? But nobody knows where she is !)

Then cut to the Dreadfort and we have Ramsay smiling in front of Th... I mean, Reek, all like : "Hehehehe, I will be marrying Arya Stark and become Lord of Winterfell". This could be a damn satisfying element to this story line, both by setting up future events and by revealing the bastard identity.

I'm really curious what they'll make of Lady Stoneheart. I really hope we'll see her in the finale. And I can't deny that, even though Cat is supposed to be younger, the fact that she's played by an older actress will help with her appearance as Lady Stoneheart. Not a realy compliment to the actress though lol.

I guess we'll see or hear about Balon's death in the finale, since there was this shot of Asha in the trailer where she doesn't look too happy.

It would be cool if the Silence sailed into Lordsport, that'd be a great set-up for the coming Greyjoy-storyline.

Archived