Top 10 Best Written Characters?

Pinkie Baelish

Killing your husband and getting away with it is a really good way of making the best of it. :thumbsup:

That's the one thing where I must say "Kudos" to Cersei. Denying him sex as much as possible, having children with who she wanted to, getting the drunken idiot killed, still reaping the benefits of the marriage.... Yeah, Cersei definitely made the best of her marriage! No matter how much I may dislike her for other things, I must respect her for that.

Sure, the realm may have been better off is she hadn't, but the realm would also have been much better off if Naerys and Rhaella had arranged little accidents for their husbands/kings.

:agree: Naerys could've saved generations of people, Rhaella could've saved the Targaryen dynasty and the victims of Robert's rebellion.

If murder isn't the answer, the issue is area of application or magnitude.

1. Jaime

2. Theon

You can't place Theon above Jaime due to his inconsistency. As others have previously mentioned, Theon doesn't really take off until ADWD. Jaime on the other hand has steadily been the best chapters in almost every book.

Which inconsistency are you talking about? can you support this claim? I claim that he isn't inconsistent at all and that both arcs were very well written and he was complex from the beginning. in support of my claim let me quote what I said earlier in this thread:

I have to disagree on this, I think Theon's chapters were some of the best chapters in the books. His entire identity crisis and all it's effects is written so well into it, so subtle because Theon isn't aware of his own issues, not really, the ones that he is aware of he ignores and lies to himself about. He fails to self reflect but he is a very emotional character and everything he does/says can be traced back to some emotional issues he has. I also think it's particulary interesting to look at his entire arc as a whole, not his separate clash and dance arcs but the whole thing together because what happens to him in Dance is what eventually helps him fix his identity crisis. it's no coincidense that he gets forced into an identity he doesn't want, it's kind of the foil to him forcing an identity on himself that he wants but can't have. of course I am biased though... I mean, like you with Arianne I have written hundreds upon hundreds of pages on him and i'm not stopping anytime soon. I'm actually getting into clash in my reread now :

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/120599-what-is-dead-may-never-die-a-theon-greyjoy-reread-project/ (I'd actually love it if more people joined because I haven't gotten a lot of responses... than again I wasn't expecting too many of them because he's not exactly a well liked character, but still I am putting my heart and soul into this :))

• 3 months later...

Jaime is the best written character for sure.

I don't have any particular order but Theon, the Hound, Tyrion... It's too early to rank some characters such as Varys or Littlefinger, we still don't know what are their goals.

I don't hate Cersei for how she treated Robert, she was absolutely justified in my book.

How is she justified ?

It would seem this fun little discussion devolved into an explosive social justice squabble. That's not so fun. Why can't we all be friends? :dunce:

As to my list, I'd have to say Theon of course, and Jaime, both of whom are indisputably in my opinion the best written characters. The other eight would be Tyrion, Jon (anyone who doubts (or doesn't for that matter) his inclusion on this list ought to read this series of essays on him. Brilliant stuff.), Cersei, Sandor, Roose (Tywin is a poor man's Roose, not the other way around), Daenerys, Arya maybe?, aaaaaaaaaand I'm drawing a blank. Nine is close enough, I think.

2. Cersei as she is pretty much a Godsend to any author for her frustrating personality and you cannot help but read on when she is about.

I have to agree about Cersei. Being inside her head is awesome. Hardly anyone is including her on their lists...maybe they're just forgetting her? I think she deserves to be in the top 3, or at least top 5.

I wont list any POV characters because they are in their own league and are all masterful in their own way.

Some non POV characters that I thought were written very well.

Podrick. He uses so few words but communicates so much. "If he tries anything, I can kill him" "I was his squire" and his stoic acceptance of his death sentence.

Stannis. I don't even think I have to get into how great the Stannis writing is.

Tywin. That ultimate father figure we are all still afraid of deep down.

Pycelle. Just such a low down dirty toady pretending to class and dignity. The fact that it takes several books for the reader to be like, "oh jeez, i didn't realize what a piece of shit he is" was great.

Both Mormonts.

Roose Bolton.

Old Lord Walder. In a book full of shits he is near the top but at the same time you can identify with him, like what would you do if your house and family was ripped off/insulted in such an egregious manner? That and he is cool being 90 years old and still cranking out kids. Hate him but also kind like him a little in the back of my head. Thats not easy to do for a writer.

Tormund. Even if he is just comic relief and a tool for humanizing the wildlings he is still fun to read.

Archived