Which House has the best words?

Probably something to do with the morning or stars.

Surely.

The fact that we don't know makes me more confident that the Daynes will have a bigger part in the future with the whole Sword of the Morning, Dawn stuff. If they were irrelevant GRRM could just have come up with "Ours is the morning wood.. er... sword" or whatever (LOL).

I would agree with those putting House Martell's words as top dog. It is the rule of three at its very best: simple, alliterative, and more importantly very much representative of the Martells as a house.

Close second for me would be House Baratheon, followed by the Greyjoys/Starks.

"Winter is Coming" is by far my favorite. But I think "We Do Not Sow" is definitely the most chilling motto. "A Lannister always pays his debts" is excellent, even if it's not actually their house motto. Also, I like "Family, Duty, Honor" because those are actually words to live by.

Moving beyond house words, my favorite sayings are:

"All men must die."

"Words are wind."

"The night is dark and full of terrors."

I know the Greyjoy house words are "We do not sow", but I love "What is dead may never die, but rises, harder and stronger." It is kind of an unofficial house saying. It is so badass when those guys say it, because they actually believe it.

I find the Martell words *pretty* ironic. They are governed by a broken and bent man in a wheel chair, and have plotted revenge for Elia solely through the act of bowing down to House Targaryen in marriage. They have variously hoped for marriage alliances with Viserys, Daenerys and now most likely Aegon. When angry, Doran doesn't even quote his own words, he says... Fire & Blood. Seems pretty bowed, bent and broken to me.

Despite his physical weaknesses Doran still works toward his goal of a Targaryen ruler. Despite his many setbacks. Despite his peoples lack of faith in him.

Doran Martell is those words.

If it will be coupled with the House sigil, I like House Lonmouth words:

Sigil: skulls and kisses

Words: "The Choise is Yours"

It's like they are saying that they can be your best friends or your worst enemies. The choice is yours.

And of course, let's not forget that the best words belong to Hodor...

Archived