Luther

Darth Visenya

I can't believe this hasn't got its own thread, what a great way to bring the Series to a close the other day.

Also it was good to see Alice back and she was great as always, she's like a grown up Arya who has joined the 21st Century.

Elbas performance was great, I did wonder how he managed to get up those stairs with a hole in his leg though.

Yeah, the last two seasons have been four episodes each. I'm fine with that, since the first season was six and the middle two episodes were pretty weak.

I thought it was awesome. Particularly the second part. Though

the corruption investigation plotline was a bit wasted.

It's the last season, but they plan to do a film.

They may yet make another series, it's not confirmed either way. Obviously the amount of time Elba is available for now that he's becoming one of the biggest movie stars in the world might affect the choice, but then it's only a four hour series, not the same as if it was a 23 episode American network show or whatever.

There's also the possibility of an Alice show. Which I would be well up for.

I find this show predictable, tropish, and over the top melodramatic (especially Elba). White male serial killer #341234

One difference between British and American police shows is the cops are always chasing down criminals without a weapon. Often the persuer is a female much smaller than the person she is chasing. In this season of Luther it got someone killed.

When will they do the episode with the rampaging jihadis hacking soldiers to death in the street? Nah lol, jk, that wouldn't be realistic...

I thought it was awesome. Particularly the second part. Though

the corruption investigation plotline was a bit wasted.

I thought the first three of this series were great, but episode four was rubbish.

Arresting Luther for killing DS Ripley and sending the killer after Mary was very "American Cop Show" arrest without cause or evidence and sort it out later. I'm so sick of that lazy, false drama inducing writing and I expected better of this show. The fact that he also got to the scene soooooo much quicker than response team while on a very wounded leg and needing to "commander" a car. And both cops leaving Mary to check out the noise was implausible.

Alice was great though, unsurprisingly.

The corruption angle was totally wasted, especially considering how poorly O'hara's character handled everything.

I watched the first episode, and I have to say I wasn't impressed. The writing just seemed terrible - everything seemed like a parody of an 80s cop show. Luther's failed marriage, the stereotypical serial killer villain, and the way Luther immediately jumps to the conclusion that she's guilty because she didn't yawn... Does it get better? Because I'm really not inclined to watch any further based on what I saw.

The interviews seem pretty clear this is the last series.

Nah. Idris Elba seems to prefer that it is, and clearly suggests that wheels are in motion for the film. Sadly, it also implies that the film would be based on the already-existing book, which as a prequel means no Alice. Obviously, there are also the various mentions of the Alice tv show (and recent interviews with Ruth Wilson and indeed Elba suggest that's more than just pie-in-the-sky too) but again, it would seem that there wouldn't be too much interaction between them there either.

Mind you, now that they've gone on their travels together I totally want Alice and Luther to pop in on the next season of Hannibal.

Though I do have to say, I find Luther's not saying anything about her murdering a husband and then just tootling off with her at the end a bit even-more-implausible.

I watched the first episode, and I have to say I wasn't impressed. The writing just seemed terrible - everything seemed like a parody of an 80s cop show. Luther's failed marriage, the stereotypical serial killer villain, and the way Luther immediately jumps to the conclusion that she's guilty because she didn't yawn... Does it get better? Because I'm really not inclined to watch any further based on what I saw.

Wait, you didn't like the first episode with Alice talking about black holes?

Really?

When will they do the episode with the rampaging jihadis hacking soldiers to death in the street? Nah lol, jk, that wouldn't be realistic...

Is this really something Luther would be called in to deal with?

• 1 year later...

LUTHER RETURNS IN 2015:

New York - Wednesday, November 19, 2014 - Golden Globe®-winning and Emmy-nominated Idris Elba makes a welcome return to BBC AMERICA in 2015 to reprise his role of DCI John Luther, the murder detective whose brilliant mind can't always save him from the dangerous violence of his passions.

Luther will return as a 2 x 60 event special and will film in and around London in March and will premiere later next year on BBC AMERICA.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/11/19/bbc-americas-award-winning-original-mini-series-luther-returns-in-2015/329701/

• 1 year later...

Archived