Dany's code of ethics is inconsistent with her actions in many cases

Panos Targaryen

Those guys had some or the other sort of regent,Heck even Joff had a regent.

Most of the RL guys listened to their advisers a ton more than Dany does.

Forgot that dude, what I think is most regrettable is that Nictarion is actually advocating the idea of the Iron Throne being part of some large scale pass-the-pillow type game between potential rulers. Only, in this game, each time a pillow is passed, people die.

Untill your 16. Dany is 16. And Tyrion is quite capable as hand if it ends up going that way.

Sounds like a fun game, can I be King after Dany's dead?

I don't know how you could possibly consider passing of the Throne a game, using the 'it's Dany's turn now!' logic.

Untill your 16. Dany is 16. And Tyrion is quite capable as hand if it ends up going that way.

Tyrion is a wild card,Though I believe he will get her to Westeros and serve as her hand for a while,It won't be the stability most expect.

Tyrion is a wild card,Though I believe he will get her to Westeros and serve as her hand for a while,It won't be the stability most expect.

People are expecting stability to be brought to a war ravaged Westeros through an incompetent ruler with three uncontrollable flesh eating dragons?

K time to say bye to this thread. XD

Are you familiar with the title of the first book?

What the hell does that have to do with anything here?

Like I said that's the way it is, unless Westeros starts electing their leaders, people with royal bloodlines will continue to rule. This really isn't that foreign of a concept is it?

Apart from most princes don't come to power at such a young age, as their parents will still be alive. They will also be trained from birth to rule. Before they rule they will serve as regent of a province, fight in wars, serve on the small council, etc. Just look at all the tuition young Griff has received. Furthermore, history is full of people rising up against incompetent rulers and limiting their powers/forcing them to listen to advisers.

Apart from most princes don't come to power at such a young age, as their parents will still be alive. They will also be trained from birth to rule. Before they rule they will serve as regent of a province, fight in wars, serve on the small council, etc. Just look at all the tuition young Griff has received. Furthermore, history is full of people rising up against incompetent rulers and limiting their powers/forcing them to listen to advisers.

That's not really the point. Westeros firmly has a system that gives 16 year olds theoretically unlimited power. So what Danerys does is consistant with that system. I don't think anyone on here actually supports absolute monarchy, I imagine we're all democrats of some sort. But people are trying to argue she has a different view to most people, and that's clearly wrong.

Forgot that dude, what I think is most regrettable is that Nictarion is actually advocating the idea of the Iron Throne being part of some large scale pass-the-pillow type game between potential rulers. Only, in this game, each time a pillow is passed, people die.

Uhh... The first book was called A Game of Thrones. That's exactly what the Iron Throne is, or has become.

What you just said is basically what Cersei said. "When you play the game of thrones you win or you die."

That's not really the point. Westeros firmly has a system that gives 16 year olds theoretically unlimited power. So what Danerys does is consistant with that system. I don't think anyone on here actually supports absolute monarchy, I imagine we're all democrats of some sort. But people are trying to argue she has a different view to most people, and that's clearly wrong.

That puts things reasonably well. Dany is not an outlier. She is not some villain, or even someone who is clearly becoming a villain. The main problem with Daenerys Targaryen is not that she stands out, but that she fits in. Both her vices and her virtues (which she definitely does have) are easy to find in many other characters in the story.

The main problems in the seven kingdoms are systemic. I've argued this in series of threads. One example is "The Virgin Legion and the Maesters' Dogma."

http://asoiaf.wester...maesters-dogma/

A couple of examples from that thread:

"I say that in ASoIaF there is a continuing theme of very serious inadequacy of governance. A number of individuals are honest and hardworking. They do their duty as they see it. However, there are definite existential threats, and the system just isn't responding in anything like a proper way. One sees a remarkable amount of arrogance and ignorance. Lots of this ignorance is willful. It isn't just that most high leaders ignore the existential threats. The few people who try to raise the alarm are insulted, made fun of. A good bit of this malignancy centers around the maesters and the Night's Watch.

"In the prologue of AGoT, we find Ser Waymar Royce..."

The way we start off the story is not an anomaly. Tyrion Lannister, for instance, is a smart guy.

"However, the Imp is just the very essence of ignorance and arrogance. Never before has he been even as far north as Winterfell, and yet he is oh-so-sure that all this business about the Others is just a bunch of fairy tales."

There's a good deal more of that. The important thing for this thread: Daenerys Stormborn is more or less what one might expect her to be; she's part of a badly flawed system.

Uhh... The first book was called A Game of Thrones.That's exactly what the Iron Throne is, or has become.

What you just said is basically what Cersei said. "When you play the game of thrones you win or you die."

??

This has nothing to do with the discussion I was having? I can't even begin to contemplate how to forge a connection between the first book's title and why the 'Dany's tur to screw Westeros!' argument is incredibly morally flawed.

Waste of time.

Don't forget about that innocent girl she had tortured.

Omg dude, you just hate Dany for no reason, she's just a young girl and prone to make mistakes of course she's gonna torture a child now and then but hey she can improve!

I dont think GRRM expected people to judge Dany on being hypocritical by marrying Drogo a slaver.

Before Dany gave birth to her dragons, she was just a woman in society, so obviously she doesn't have enough power to stop the whole Dothraki from raping, but she tried her best.

To the OP this was a very inaccurate analysis of Dany's character in AGOT.

Archived