Dany's code of ethics is inconsistent with her actions in many cases

Panos Targaryen

To answer your question, Dany's code of ethics only cemented with Eroeh (that girl who she saved from rape). Before her face to face experience with war, rape, death and pillaging she only thought of it as an inseparable thing from her journey back to Westeros, but seeing it face to face ignited that doubt and hatred. When Eroeh gets killed and the Dothraki leave Dany, she was finally hit with the fact that such things directly negate her code of ethics, so she began acting against it.

As for Daario, she needed him at the time, and she grew horny at his presence. I think she has the hits for bad boys (but hopefully not Victarion!).

I think she has the hits for bad boys (but hopefully not Victarion!).

Understatement of the year :)

I doubt she'd be attracted to Vic, not because he's not a "bad boy" but because he lacks intelligence - or at least what passes for "street-smarts" (Daario, for all his douche-ness, has that in spades).

Understatement of the year :)

I doubt she'd be attracted to Vic, not because he's not a "bad boy" but because he lacks intelligence - or at least what passes for "street-smarts" (Daario, for all his douche-ness, has that in spades).

Oops, meant to say "hots" but auto-correct screwed me up.

??

This has nothing to do with the discussion I was having? I can't even begin to contemplate how to forge a connection between the first book's title and why the 'Dany's tur to screw Westeros!' argument is incredibly morally flawed.

Waste of time.

Yeah it is. You talked about the IT not being a game for different rulers, but that's pretty much exactly what it is. It's not "Dany's turn to screw Westeros" from anyone's POV in the series, but the players and smallfolk in the series find it completely normal to have their rulers switch all the time.

Say what you will about Joffrey, he never crucified over a hundred people. The good King Joffrey!

He just shot them himself with a crossbow for no reason. Killing to send a message against slavery even if conducted in the wrong way is still better than an idiot 13 year old killing smallfolk because he thinks he can.

Don't forget about that innocent girl she had tortured.

Omg dude, you just hate Dany for no reason, she's just a young girl and prone to make mistakes of course she's gonna torture a child now and then but hey she can improve!

My reply here will be very similar to my first post on this thread. Dany simply does not stand out at all. Torture is just about everywhere in Westeros. You breath it in the air; you drink it in the water. In the Eyrie, it's in the very architecture. This has been pointed out in a number of threads. It's very easy to substantiate in the text.

One can certainly argue that Dany wouldn't be a good ruler of the seven kingdoms. How bad would she be compared to what else is currently available? That is a much more debatable point.

Omg dude, you just hate Dany for no reason, she's just a young girl and prone to make mistakes of course she's gonna torture a child now and then but hey she can improve!

No you stop right there, sir. Where is your proof that they were children? Because they only say it was some random guy's daughters. Now daughters come in all shapes, sizes and ages. For all we know she tortured Cersei Lannister! And who cares about Cersei? Therefore Dany is a good queen and always will be. Long live the mother of dragons.

No you stop right there, sir. Where is your proof that they were children? Because they only say it was some random guy's daughters. Now daughters come in all shapes, sizes and ages. For all we know she tortured Cersei Lannister! And who cares about Cersei? Therefore Dany is a good queen and always will be. Long live the mother of dragons.

We don't know if they're children or not. But, by any yardstick, ordering a man's daughters to be tortured in front of him was pretty sadistic. It's the sort of idea that would occur to the Tickler.

We don't know if they're children or not. But, by any yardstick, ordering a man's daughters to be tortured in front of him was pretty sadistic. It's the sort of idea that would occur to the Tickler.

I'll keep beating the same drum. Why not? It's a noble instrument, and it produces worthwhile rhythms. This performance will feature Jaime Lannister. You know the guy. Some readers maintain he's on a redemption arc. Some even go so far as to claim that he's emerging as a hero. In AFfC, Jaime threatens Edmure Tully with the oubliettes beneath Casterly Rock. Then we read--

"You gave me your word that I would be treated honorably, as befits my rank."

"So you shall," said Jaime. "Nobler knights than you have died whimpering in those oubliettes, and many a high lord too. Even a king or two, if I recall my history. Your wife can have the one beside you, if you like. I would not want to part you."

Three points worthy of consideration here: 1. It was Dany's advisor, not Dany herself who thought of torturing family members. 2. Dany was acting under considerably more provocation than Jaime. 3. We don't know the age of the daughters. We do know that Jaime was talking about Edmure's pregnant wife.

I could mention other significant examples from the text. Many people continue to look for heroes in ASoIaF. In my opinion, despite all the talk about grey characters, heroes are harder to find than most readers want to admit. If there were elections in the seven kingdoms, and the slate of candidates consisted of the current contenders for monarch. the choice would be tough. I'm not saying that, if I had a vote, I'd cast it for Dany, but I'd consider doing so.

Archived