September Reads

mashiara

I enjoyed Joyride by Stephen King. I know most of King's latest books have been hit or miss but this one was a good one, short and sweet and hitting just the right tones of nostalgia, without letting it become too much. Don't let the pulp cover fool you, this one is worth reading.

I also read The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, after a couple of friends from here strongly recommended it. Also a great a read, it starts off a bit slowly but pulls you in and takes you places. I almost forgot it was a YA book. I'll wait a little on the second one though, I don't want to pay the hardcover price for it, but it's definitely on my to-read list.

I'm currently reading The Killing Moon by N.K.Jemisin.

The Daylight War?

The real answer is probably Under the Dome.

Ha! I laughed out loud at that.

And holy mother of poop, Under The Dome was terrible, and GROSS. And i like most King, even the King that most people don't like.

Under the Dome was my first thought too.

Also started The Alloy of Law, which is quite OK but not overwhelming so far. It would have been interesting to find out what happened after Mistborn. I also can't remember who the Lord Mistborn was, although I guess it's not too important for this story.

Completed On the Steel Breeze, moved on to Ann Leckie's Ancilliary Justice.

Wait, what book is this?

Under the Dome, indeed. I was comparatively mild on The Daylight War, though that was also not very good at all.

Over the summer, I went on a spree of reading Gillian Flynn's novels. Sharp Objects, which I believe was her first novel, was excellent; I enjoyed Gone Girl, but the darkness of Sharp Objects was more appealing. I then read Herman Koch's The Dinner, which was another great, thoroughly engrossing read. It is not the "European Gone Girl" as some reviewer described it; I think it's far better, with one important exception at the end.

I went on a similar spree recently, and based on that, I checked out The Dinner. While I enjoyed the premise and think the structure of the book was interesting, ultimately some of the characters did not work for me. I'm a big fan of books featuring terrible people, but in this case, I thought

the medical explanation for Paul's (and therefore Michel's) horribleness made the character much less interesting.

Aside from a few superficial details I do not think it is very similar to Gone Girl - I think the more apt comparison would be William Landay's Defending Jacob, which I think explored many of the same themes of The Dinner but was executed much better imo.

Also started The Alloy of Law, which is quite OK but not overwhelming so far. It would have been interesting to find out what happened after Mistborn. I also can't remember who the Lord Mistborn was, although I guess it's not too important for this story.

I just read that one. About a third into it, I had to get out my copy of the Mistborn series to try and figure out who they were referring to with all their names!

ETA: Oh, and Lord Mistborn is Spook, FYI. :)

I went on a similar spree recently, and based on that, I checked out The Dinner. While I enjoyed the premise and think the structure of the book was interesting, ultimately some of the characters did not work for me. I'm a big fan of books featuring terrible people, but in this case, I thought

the medical explanation for Paul's (and therefore Michel's) horribleness made the character much less interesting.

Aside from a few superficial details I do not think it is very similar to Gone Girl - I think the more apt comparison would be William Landay's Defending Jacob, which I think explored many of the same themes of The Dinner but was executed much better imo.

Your spoiler was my one important exception at the end. :)

I believe it was a reviewer for the Wall Street Journal who stated that the Dinner with the European Gone Girl. Ugh.

Defending Jacob has been recommended to me as well. I may give it a try after I finish the Criminal Conversation of Mrs. Norton.

Just finished 'Ancillary Justice' by Anne Leckie. There is a reason people are raving about this one.

Yup. Only 50 pages into this one, but there is something very intriguing about it so far.

Thanks, guys. Just ordered a sample chapter...

How I'd describe it so far:

(not really spoilery as it's the premise spelled out in the first two chapters, but still)

What would happen if a ship's AI became trapped in a human body? Especially if the ship's AI had severe problems without its normal sensor inputs, like not being able to tell what gender someone is?

ETA: io9 has a good article on the book as well.

Archived