September Reads

mashiara

I just finished The Blade Itself, and hell, it is really good, although I've got some peeves, as usual.

(Having read The Accursed Kings so recently, I can't get around the fact that Kanedias' daughter's name is Tolomei. What a coincidence. Now I keep picturing the old, fat banker instead. :D )

My wish is that someone will soon royally kick Jezal's arrogant ass. Please.

I had a permanent grin while reading Cetaganda by Lois McMaster Bujold. I can't recall who directed me towards her books, but boy, am I having a great time reading her stuff!

Up next is another favourite author of mine, Jo Graham. I'm looking forward to reading The Emperor's Agent.

Finished rereading The Joke by Milan Kundera. I first read it more than a decade ago, and I feel I understood it much better this time around. A really beautiful novel.

Now reading The Republic of Wine by Mo Yan.

Finished rereading The Joke by Milan Kundera. I first read it more than a decade ago, and I feel I understood it much better this time around. A really beautiful novel.

Ah, The Joke. Either this or Laughable Loves was the first Kundera book I ever read. So many years ago. Two decades at least. Great book indeed, although I prefer Life is Elsewhere, The Book of Laughing and Forgetting and The Unbearable Lightness of Being. Perhaps it's time for a reread at last.

I started Dust, which started quite slow, and I'm rereading Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver.

Oh, The Book of Laughing and Forgetting... A friend bought that for me some years ago when I was feeling down because of love :rolleyes:. She didn't read the synopsis or anything, just the title. :lol: I liked the book, I haven't read anything else by Kundera.

I've been meaning to post here again but life has been hectic and every time I open the thread up someone screams or needs a diaper change. I've had this thread open for more than half an hour now and I've had to stop twice to go calm someone down, and it's only 6.30am. It's cursed, I tell you, cursed!

Anyway, I finished Matter by Iain M Banks and ended up loving it, even though I had my doubts as I was reading it. The ending was so strong that it made up for other issues I had with the book.

I also read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A Heinlein, my very first of his. Excellent read, if I hadn't known when it was written I would have never guessed it was so old, it didn't feel dated at all. I felt like I should be taking notes on how to start a revolution.

Other reads include Due Date by Nancy Wood, which was pretty bad but not the worst thing I've read, just utterly predictable, with the plot and the dialogue deteriorating as it went along. Also A Fistful of Charms by Kim Harrison, which was a fun read but not as good as the first ones in the series. It saddens me to think the rest might follow what's probably the "norm" for urban fantasy.

-insert 10 minute break to calm crying toddler. Both of them awake, not even 7am on a Sunday yet. I give up-

I'm now reading Joyland by Stephen King. And by reading, I mean I cracked open the first page late last night and promptly fell asleep on it, so I'm hoping I'll get to start it today.

Nearly finished with Banewreaker, which I'm loving though it makes me sad that Satoris is going to inevitably lose. On the other hand I find Haomane's Allies far less interesting and developed and sometimes downright annoying in their blind self-righteousness. I hope in the second book there's more development of that side of the conflict since Carey did a really good job of making me sympathize with Satoris. By the way, how have people who read the book imagined Satoris? Whenever I read his scenes I imagine something similar to Hades from the God of War video games except with the added addition of clothing similar to that of Thorin's from the Hobbit movies.

Read "Blankets" by Craig Thompson. A sorrow disappointment. While I actually love his second work "Habibi", this graphic novel is really stale. The drawings are decent and some insights into the author´s life as young nerd in a Christian family are somewhat interesting, but all in all I really cannot understand why this work is considered one of the best graphic novels. And yes I had a tragic first love as well ;-9

The Emperor's Agent, by Jo Graham was very much a middle book in the series. Without spoiling, the link between her Numinous World series was much more apparent than the previous books. Still, I find her books compelling reads.

Now re-reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. It is hard to believe that I read this 7 years ago!

I just finished Chris Wooding's The Ace of Skulls which was really good as usual, a shame he's not going to write any more of the Ketty Jay books. Before that I read Cold Steel by Kate Elliott which was pretty good if a bit disjointed in places.

About halfway through Goblet of Fire. I forgot how long this book is, and it seems to take a while to get round to the point. Not a bad book in all, though. Keen to start Dexter's Final Cut afterwards, which will hopefully be a lot better than the show ended up being.

Finished Andre Norton's Witch World. On to its sequel, Web of the Witch World.

Norton's series focuses on Simon Tregarth, an ex-military man in trouble with organized crime, who magically travels to the Witch World to escape certain death at the hands of underworld figures.

The witches of ancient Estcarp are surrounded by enemies, both barbarians who fear their Power and technologically advanced invaders from another world. Technology is roughly equivalent to Earth's medieval era, with dart guns substituting for bows.

Overall very entertaining, light reading.

Finished Godslayer [sequel to Banewreaker] this Monday. Have never been so depressed upon finishing a book as I was upon finishing Godslayer. Am currently reading Bitterblue, the only thing which I dislike about it so far being the names of characters and places, which is one of my few criticism of the two previous books also.

I just had a several week underway that wasn't very busy for me, so I read a lot of books!!

Started out by finishing up Emperor of Thorns by Mark Lawrence. It was okay. Some interesting ways that it all played out, some more of me just hating almost everyone involved.

Then read The Blinding Knife by Brent Weeks. I loved The Black Prism, so I had been putting off reading this one to avoid the pain of getting caught up in an unfinished series. Anyway, that didn't really work because I ended up skimping on a lot of sleep to tear through this one. Don't know what it is about Brent Weeks, but he can really pull me in. I enjoyed his Night Angel trilogy a lot too. Need more Gavin!! (And less Kip...)

Read The White Queen by Philippa Gregory. Some of her books I have enjoyed, others not as much. This one was pretty interesting, in large part because I was not at all familiar with the stories of the period (I didn't figure out which Henry the Henry Tudor was going to end up to be until the end), so I really wanted to find out what was going to happen and was rather surprised by several events throughout.

Made pretty quick work of The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson. I liked it but didn't love it. I like Sanderson more than most, but I'm not sure how I felt about the quasi-wild west framing and the different metals and such. I did enjoy the main character, though, so I could see myself reading more of this. (Although I can't even remember his name, now!)

The Human Division by John Scalzi was pretty good. I totally forgot how one of the central characters was related back to John Perry, which was kind of stupid of me! Some good stuff, and I am still interested in the galaxy he has set up. Definitely wanting more!

The Ocean at the End of the Lane was all sorts of awesome and amazing and almost heart-breakingly beautiful. And I say that as a non-Gaimin fangirl. I enjoyed The Graveyard Book but found American Gods so boring I couldn't finish it, and I think that's about the extent of his works I've read. Probably should find some more, though, since this one was so good!

Finally, I finished up with My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok. Turns out this guy is a pretty good writer, weird, right? I wasn't really planning on this one, but someone lent it to me underway and I was running out of books at that point (I was average one a day by then) so I went with it. SO good.

Now I am working on book one of The Mongoliad. It's okay, but after reading so many truly spectacular books, I am having trouble getting very wrapped up in this one.

ETA:

Oh yeah, I also read Dust by Hugh Howey in there somewhere. And maybe some other ones. Just going off what I remembered to enter into Goodreads. :) Anyway, that one was good. I'm glad the trilogy is over. Thought the quality declined throughout, which is a shame after what I found to be such a strong first book.

The Heresy Within was pretty good, but really needs an editor. Still I see it finding an audience as plot wise it was put together than alot of wannabe grimdark.

I recently learned that Rachael Bach is the new pen name for Rachael Aaron, so I grabbed Fortune's Pawn, her new sci-fi book. One quarter in, really good so far.

Archived