which kingdom in westeros fields the best soldiers?

The tyrells have the largest army, the lannisters the best equipped but troop quality is another factor.

The heavy cavalry/knights may be considered equal, with the reach having an edge but the common soldiers and infantrymen were another topic.

Personally i think the north and Dorne field the best common soldiers and the vale would come second.

The riverlands and reach might respectively field the worst common soldiers.

The North- Hard places breed hard men. The northerners are naturally hard and durable people thanks to their brutal winter, haunted forests and poor harvests. Harsh conditions of life harden them physically and mentally. Plus they are always in one form of fight or the other with the wildlings, ironborn, mountain clans and hunting....

The vale- the vale is a mountainous region and the average man there seems to be of larger size. They too have to live under rough conditions but not as much as the north.

Dorne- History and geography speaks for them

If hard places breed hard men, Dorne, North, Iron Islands and Stormlands are pretty much equal in this. Numbers and equipment are the Reach and West major assets. But the amount of above the average fighters that the Stormlands puts out is really surprising. Of course, individual fighting capability and average soldier quality aren't the same thing. Soldiering is much about discipline, teamwork and dependability. Also we haven't seen much of Dorne or Vale to make an assessment. Maybe West, they seemed very disciplined and trained(under Tywin) and gold likely increases the amount of professionals present.

After thousands upon thousands of years, westeros was down to 7 kingdoms stalemated before ageons arrival. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. Just as the northerners wouldn't do too well in Dorne, and vise versa, the iron born make for best sailors, ect.

Have 1 v 1 tourney of common soldiers, and my favorite would be northerner or Dorne.

Heavy cavalry: The Vale and the Reach.

Light cavalry: Dorne

Heavy infantry: All roughly equal, possibly excepting IB and Dorne who are lower or at least lighter.

Light/irregular infantry: Iron Islands, North and Vale.

Spearmen: Dorne.

Archers: Stormlands and Riverlands.

Horse archers: Dorne.

Naval/Marine: Iron Islands, Crownlands and Reach.

If I had to field an army made of just one region, on a man to man basis, I think I'd have to choose between the Vale, the Reach and Dorne.

One interesting note is that nothing is said about the Vale being particularly good at spear/pike work, which is odd. All mountainous regions of Europe (Alps, Scottish highlands, Balkan mountains, Greece) bred famously good spear/pikemen because the terrain, specifically the number of choke points, suits it.)

Depends on the terrain and type of battle. The Dornish seem quite militant. I don't get where people are saying the Vale has the best cavalry, that seems more like a Reach and Westlands thing.

Well we often hear about "The knights of the Vale" no other warriors have been distinguished in such a manner for a region(e.g. no "archers of Dorne" or "pikemen of the Reach") so I guess they must have eared it.

Well we often hear about "The knights of the Vale" no other warriors have been distinguished in such a manner for a region(e.g. no "archers of Dorne" or "pikemen of the Reach") so I guess they must have eared it.

Well, something earned 20 years ago no doubt. I would give more credence to it if they had done a single fing thing in the recent war.

Heavy Infantry I'd say the North, Ironborn seem incredibly OP at Deepwood Motte so they're pretty strong in this as well.

The Dornish I'd say manke great gurilla fighters and ambushers, but in a pitched battle versus say the Reach or Strormlands, I have my doubts.

Knights of the Vale appear to be notoriously good, and the Mountain Clans mean they aren't unblooded Knights of Summer.

For no reason, I'd say the Stormlands and Westerlands both have good archers, because they remind me of Wales and England, so the Longbow.

The Reach, excellent heavy cavalray and good Men at Arms, very well equipped

The Riverlands seem pretty weak constantly, although poor leadership could be a important factor.

Houses sworn to Dragonstone, Redwyne and Greyjoy make the best sailors and warships.

Whoever has the best commanders. Bolton doesn't seem to be able to hold the North very efficiently together, and he essentially commands his soldiers through fear more than loyalty. I might say Dorne, but I get the impression Doran Martell is more of a political strategist than a military one (unlike Oberyn).

I would guess that the Westerlands could be an option for having the best non-knightly forces,

most liege lords rely heavily on the bannermen and the forces they bring+a few thousand from the major house itself. For example. The Starks raise maybe 5000 themselves, the Boltons come with 2500 and so do the manderlys, the Umbers maybe 1500 etc. The quality of all this troops probably changes a lot from house to house as well as their doctrines, tactics,equpment etc.

In the Westerlands however The Lannisters seem to rely less on the Crakehalls, Baneforts etc. After defeating the Tarbecks and Reynes(the most powerful houses after the Lannisters) it seems like the Lannisters just took their lands for themselves(I have not heard anything of any other houses being given their lands. So, if the Starks maybe raise 25 % of the northern might by themselves the Lannisters maybe raise 50-60 % if not more. The Lannisters can standardize their tactics, equipment and training to have a reliable fighting force. Also having a large force themselves also enables officers to become professionals and make a career with in the Lannister armed forces.

In the Lannister chapters(Tyrion, Cersei and Jaime) we don´t really see them refer to "Lord crakehall's soldiers" etc but they just refer the the Lannister forces as troops only lokal to themselves.

In the Westerlands however The Lannisters seem to rely less on the Crakehalls, Baneforts etc. After defeating the Tarbecks and Reynes(the most powerful houses after the Lannisters) it seems like the Lannisters just took their lands for themselves(I have not heard anything of any other houses being given their lands. So, if the Starks maybe raise 25 % of the northern might by themselves the Lannisters maybe raise 50-60 % if not more. The Lannisters can standardize their tactics, equipment and training to have a reliable fighting force. Also having a large force themselves also enables officers to become professionals and make a career with in the Lannister armed forces.

In the Lannister chapters(Tyrion, Cersei and Jaime) we don´t really see them refer to "Lord crakehall's soldiers" etc but they just refer the the Lannister forces as troops only lokal to themselves.

I think this is more in referral to the loyalty of their Lord Bannerman and their troops, who have a seemingly unwavering faith in Tywin, and later Kevan, Daven and Jaime. If we say the Westerlands can field around 50,000-65000 men if they really scrape, I doubt the Lannisters could raise more than 20,000 max. I agree they could be the most disciplined, although this is not really because of Lannister standardized tactics, but leadership and training. With the exception of Ser Stafford and his motley crew, who were not well led, well trained or well disciplined.

Archived