Makeup 4: Makeup Shotgun Edition

Xray the Enforcer

Looking at that website, I suppose I'm a 2b (wavy curly)?

The hairdresser suggested I get a mist-like heat protector, instead of gel, which are too heavy for my hair, and also to try some serum like Frizz Ease, so we're on to a winner there. My hair feels much lighter, smoother and thinner now it's been cut, thankfully.

I only wash my hair about once every two weeks, because it's a whole process and takes all day to dry. I moisturize it regularly though. For the people looking for people who know how to cut curly hair dry, every black salon I've ever been to does dry cutting. I don't often see white people in black salons, but I'm sure they could cut very curly hair. I sometimes trim my hair myself (dry of course), I did that a lot in college because the nearest decent black salon was not close. Since we're doing hair types, I don't have a pic just of my hair, but it's type 4a.

I wish I had known this secret when I was younger...I basically knew nothing about hair salons of any kind. Until I was about 17, my mom cut my hair, but since everyone else in the family has hair that is easy to cut, this just meant that I ended up with a bad haircut. Then instead of getting free bad haircuts, I paid for bad haircuts until I finally learned that curly hair has to be cut differently and it never occurred to me that there were salons for curly hair or hair of other textures that doesn't normally come up in mainstream fashion magazines, where a lot of the curly hair isn't natural.

I do need to find some hair styles now that my hair is longer, other than just putting it up in a ponytail. When I had bad long hair for years as a result of not knowing what to do with curly hair, I always just wore it in a bun. Then I had short hair for about 8 years. Now I don't know what to do with it, and it's starting to resemble one of those creepy wigs that little girls who do Irish dancing wear. <_<

I had to learn also, but I had cousins and aunts who could help. My mother has very curly hair 3b/c, but it's not textured like mine, so she knew what to do for curly hair, but not kinky hair. She was very insistent that I not perm my hair (at least til I was out of the house) and I'm glad now, because sure it's easier to deal with and more socially acceptable, but it's so bad for your hair. No matter what a black woman's hair makes some type of political statement, especially natural hair.

So going off my mother, she washes her hair about once a week and goes to a curly salon for dry cuts, it's usually at least shoulder length (when dry and curly). And good conditioner is very important. Those pictures are funny. You could have it long with a good cut and not have it look like those wigs.

I've just distracted myself from one of my final projects by cashing in my Birchbox points before they started to expire.

http://www.birchbox.com/shop/jouer-mini-luminizing-moisture-tint

http://www.birchbox.com/shop/klorane-dry-shampoo-with-oat-milk

http://www.birchbox.com/shop/laqa-lil-lip-duo-6195 in Bossy Boots and Ring of Fire

http://www.birchbox.com/shop/stila-portrait-of-a-perfect-lip

(I plan to experiment with lip colour more in the new year, cause why not?)

http://www.birchbox.com/shop/weleda-skin-food

And a mystery sample pair of something. So...now that I've drained most of my points *L* I'll gladly refer any of you to build the bank back up.

I'm wearing Nars velvet matte lipstick in dragon girl today. It's a flourescent red that is so boisterous and jolly, but extremely fierce.

I feel like a Christmas warrior.

Har!

http://image.naldzgraphics.net/2012/12/8-barbarian-warrior-santa-claus-christmas-artworks-illustrations.jpg

I only wash my hair about once every two weeks, because it's a whole process and takes all day to dry. I moisturize it regularly though. For the people looking for people who know how to cut curly hair dry, every black salon I've ever been to does dry cutting. I don't often see white people in black salons, but I'm sure they could cut very curly hair. I sometimes trim my hair myself (dry of course), I did that a lot in college because the nearest decent black salon was not close. Since we're doing hair types, I don't have a pic just of my hair, but it's type 4a.

That's a VERY good idea.

Oh and if anyone wants to go to a black salon for curly hair try to find one that specializes in natural hair. Natural hair is trendy now, so any place with a decent black population willprobably have salons for natural hair. Sometimes other places mostly just deal with perms or weaves or braids or whatever.

Mine is 3a although it doesn't quite match the described pattern (or at least I like to sound all elitist, mine is a helix coil, not S :p). I lucked onto an awesome hair dresser via my cousin that I've been going to for years, and she dry cuts for the curl for me and carefully shepherded my hair from short short to where it is now just about to reach my shoulders (while curly) in 18months. Having someone who knows what they are doing with your hair makes such a difference...especially when you have no fucking clue :p

I also treated myself to a few other items because I love a sale and I'd rather shop than do my final project..

Ulta had this on sale for $15 dollars so I snatched one up.

http://www.stilacosmetics.com/product/smudge-stick-waterproof-eye-liner-set.do

Philosophy had a friends and family sale, 30% off so I grabbed a bottle of Purity face wash and Hope in a Jar.

I'm going to be on vacations for a month or so, and I'm going to take about twenty of my nail polishes with me. The problem is that I don't know how to pack them safely... I used to just dump them all in a bag and carry them on my backpack, they usually made it back unscathed, except for one that broke and painted everything purple :lol:. This time I'm taking some indies that I would really, really hate to lose. I could wrap them all in bubble wrap but that would take too much space on my backpack.

Any suggestions?

If you are taking a backpack, I would suggest you take 3 polishes, tops.

It also depends on how you're traveling. In a car, you can put them in a shoebox, tape it up and place it in the trunk with no worries. If you're flying, traveling by train, or bus, where your luggage is going to be handled multiple times, I would take a few treasured colors that you can't live without and plan on getting a couple of manicures wherever you're going.

Does one need 20 nail varnishes in a month? I'd pick one, maybe two, and have done with it :dunno: (I'm currently a Christmassy red, for you curious types.)

I sometimes paint each nail a different colour, so yes you can need 20, I don't do it very often though.

I sometimes paint each nail a different colour, so yes you can need 20, I don't do it very often though.

Eh, while that's pretty cool, if you're travelling and have to be careful with what you take, nail varnishes wouldn't be high on my list. I was going to do red and green nails for Xmas, but I forgot the green varnish, so red 'tis :laugh:

Eh, while that's pretty cool, if you're travelling and have to be careful with what you take, nail varnishes wouldn't be high on my list. I was going to do red and green nails for Xmas, but I forgot the green varnish, so red 'tis :laugh:

Oh God no, If I'm traveling it would be two or three, there's nothing wrong with red, mine are green at the moment :).

I forgot to mention half of those are gifts. :lol: I change the color of my nails every two or three days, so I'd need quite a few... Last year I took about 30, which ended up being a very bad idea. I ended up bubble-wrapping them, they fit well on my backpack, I thought it would take more space.

I'm going to do a red and gold gradient for Christmas, before leaving, I'm not taking those with me. :lol:

I'm going to be on vacations for a month or so, and I'm going to take about twenty of my nail polishes with me. The problem is that I don't know how to pack them safely... I used to just dump them all in a bag and carry them on my backpack, they usually made it back unscathed, except for one that broke and painted everything purple :lol:. This time I'm taking some indies that I would really, really hate to lose. I could wrap them all in bubble wrap but that would take too much space on my backpack.

Any suggestions?

Sally Hansen (or Incoco, or whatever brand) nail polish strips. Easy peasy, won't break, weigh nothing, no dry time. They come in solid colors or patterns. Pricey, but wear like iron.

Ooooh, ladies, speaking of polish...I bought myself 3 of these beauties - Birefringence, Cygnus Loop, and Nostalgia (which I'm wearing right now!)

Words cannot express the gorgeousness and awesomeness of these polishes. Strangers stop and gawk at the color shifting. It's dangerous to drive with them on - I can't quit staring at the fabulousness.

And the packaging is incredible! It was like opening a lovely little present to me!

The formula is good (3 coats for me, maybe 2 with black undies - haven't tried it yet) and the wear is great.

Highly recommended.

Sis, they have to be seen to be believed. OTOH, I'm getting ready to do a mani, so Nostalgia's coming off in just a few minutes. The family's still asleep so I'll have quiet fun doing a Christmas quickie.

I forgot to mention that shipping was really quick from ILNP too - and reasonable.

Some of the indie polish makers do fantastic stuff.

Oh, man...CVS just had (might still be having, I dunno) a huge clearance on makeup/beauty. I got so much stuff for 50 - 75% off - including a bunch of Nicole by OPI polishes (and 5 boxes of Sally Hansen Salon Effects strips that I mentioned upthread - for $2.50 each! Normally $10). I keep sayin' I'm on a no-buy ('cause I've got so much polish I've never even opened!!!) but I'm a junkie. I admit it. Sparkly glittery stuff - I die.

At least it's not crack. Sigh.

Archived