Theory: Darkstar works for Varys, and here's why

Jon of the Dead

“I have a niece in Sunspear, did I tell you? I could make rather a lot of mischief in Dorne with Myrcella. I could set my niece and nephew at war, wouldn’t that be droll?”

This is especially interesting given that 1) Tyrion and Varys tend to think very much alike and are equally duplicitous, and 2) that Varys was the recipient of Tyrion's 'test info' re: sending a Baratheon/Lannister heir to Dorne back in aCoK. Varys would have had plenty of time to get his plan in order and have Darkstar execute (pardon the pun) irregardless of WHICH heir it ended up being. Meaning, if this thought popped into Tyrion's head as an afterthought, there is a really, really good chance that Varys had already had the forethought and was all over it.

Also, Varys would certainly have no trouble assisting DS in a getaway, arranging travel to/shelter at a remote undisclosed location, even across the Narrow Sea perhaps.

All in all, I like it! I have long thought Darkstar/House Dayne had a far greater role to play than chopping off a little girl's ear and dropping a few cheesy lines here and there. Redemption!

• 11 months later...

BTW, I was reading the Queenmaker chapter, and I think Varys has little birds amongst the orphans of the Green Blood. All that explanation about Arianne having contacts amongst those children, and one of them climbing through Quentyn's window and looking at his scrolls...that's sounds like what the little birds do.

I think that's how Varys knew of the plot, because one of his spies was following Garin, and then Varys contacted Darkstar

actually Varys knos about this plot long before that...

his little birds head it from Oberyn when he talked to Tyrion..

i´m sure he would have taken steps to protect Aegon in the event that someone else would have crowned Myrcella.

• 2 months later...
Good post. I think ultimately, Darkstar is a bad guy. He clearly thirsts for some Glory and renown and is fairly vain.

I suppose what he craves is to be " The" Dayne people talk about, and to wield Dawn.

In order to achieve that he needs War and Victory. Who gives him the best chance at that? My guess is Dany T ....so Varys it is.

Are we really sure Darkstar wanted to kill Myrcella?

Darkstar's laughter rang out. "Are you blind or stupid, Oakheart? There are too many. Put up your sword."

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

This is very, very curious. If his plan had been to kill Myrcella, wouldnt he have egged Arys on to provoke chaos? And if he had been the informer in league with Doran, as Arianne considers later, why did he want to kill Myrcella?

Are we really sure Darkstar wanted to kill Myrcella?

The Queenmaker, Feast 21

This is very, very curious. If his plan had been to kill Myrcella, wouldnt he have egged Arys on to provoke chaos? And if he had been the informer in league with Doran, as Arianne considers later, why did he want to kill Myrcella?

Reverse psychology? 

My guess has long been that Ser Gerold Dayne is the descendant of Aerion Brightflame's son, Maegor. He is the "most dangerous man in Dorne" because of who he is, not because he is the deadliest swordsman. Given we now know Egg's and Aerion's mother was a Dayne it further strengthens the idea. Does he work for Varys? I don't think so. He is his own crazy free agent who hates the world because he thinks he is the rightful king of Westeros, and no one will even listen to his claim. War between the Lannisters and Dorne? Hell yes, he is all for it! Killing little girls to start the slaughter is perfectly in keeping with Aerion's cruelty, and his grandson is only following in his ancestor's footsteps.

My guess has long been that Ser Gerold Dayne is the descendant of Aerion Brightflame's son, Maegor. He is the "most dangerous man in Dorne" because of who he is, not because he is the deadliest swordsman. Given we now know Egg's and Aerion's mother was a Dayne it further strengthens the idea. Does he work for Varys? I don't think so. He is his own crazy free agent who hates the world because he thinks he is the rightful king of Westeros, and no one will even listen to his claim. War between the Lannisters and Dorne? Hell yes, he is all for it! Killing little girls to start the slaughter is perfectly in keeping with Aerion's cruelty, and his grandson is only following in his ancestor's footsteps.

He is called the deadliest man in Dorne by Doran because of what DS knows. He obviously has some sort of important information that Doran does not want slipping out. That or he knows their house secrets inside and out and can expose them. Could very well know some of their future plans etc

He is called the deadliest man in Dorne by Doran because of what DS knows. He obviously has some sort of important information that Doran does not want slipping out. That or he knows their house secrets inside and out and can expose them. Could very well know some of their future plans etc

Lol, I like my guess much better. What makes you think Doran would entrust Ser Gerold with any secrets? Or put him in position to learn any? There are people who are in such positions, but Prince Doran doesn't call any of them the "most dangerous man" in Dorne. No, I think, Arianne's description of Ser Gerold is the major clue to who he is, and why he is so dangerous. He's the Brightflame's crazy ass, sadistic, grandson.

Me too!

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/132900-darkstar-is-a-brightflame/

Lol, I like my guess much better. What makes you think Doran would entrust Ser Gerold with any secrets? Or put him in position to learn any? There are people who are in such positions, but Prince Doran doesn't call any of them the "most dangerous man" in Dorne. No, I think, Arianne's description of Ser Gerold is the major clue to who he is, and why he is so dangerous. He's the Brightflame's crazy ass, sadistic, grandson.

I think you need to go reread and also dip into the lines a bit more

Also with your guess how does that make him the most dangerous? What good is being the true heir to the throne without having an army and not having anyone support his claim. And as you just said isnt a gifted sword fighter so only way he could be dangerous is information.

He also knows the whole truth about the scenario when he chopped princess mys ear off, so if the other people there want to cover it up as they have been doing could get exposed if DS tells anyone

You know what they say about great minds ...

Seriously, when I first put my idea out it was in conjunction with speculation about which Targaryen the Queen of Thorns turned down. My thinking was this was Aerion's son. Now we know it was Egg's third son who we did not even know existed at the time. We also know Aerion's son's name now, and Egg's mother's name. So some of my original idea was shot down, but the main was strengthened with the new revelations. Glad to know others have come to similar conclusions.

Congratulations! That theory about Darkstar is the only plausible explanation for his acts. The only hypothesis for Darkstar attitudes were crackpots and theories based only in wishful think.

Aegos (and Varys) are the only one who would be benefits  his attempt against Myrcella's life. I just don't know what exactly he would want in exchange. May be the Kingsguard (he would be skilled enough, but not with a suitable behavior) and even he wanting the lordship of Starfall, Aegon would have to disinherit Edric and Allyria, two people that made nothing wrong or committed any act of treason. 

Per some theories (such as one that Darkstar was Arthur Dayne's squire) Gerold Dayne might have some knowledge of what happened at the Tower of Joy during the Rebellion. That is, he could be aware that Rhaegar managed to get Lyanna with child, even if he doesn't know WHO that child is. Further more, Darkstar tattling on Ashara Dayne for having knowledge of said child (which likely could've resulted in her suicide, real or faked) would explain why Ned Stark played the R+L secret so close, not even telling his wife: he didn't want to risk his own family betraying him, as Darkstar did to Ashara.

Per some theories (such as one that Darkstar was Arthur Dayne's squire) Gerold Dayne might have some knowledge of what happened at the Tower of Joy during the Rebellion. That is, he could be aware that Rhaegar managed to get Lyanna with child, even if he doesn't know WHO that child is. Further more, Darkstar tattling on Ashara Dayne for having knowledge of said child (which likely could've resulted in her suicide, real or faked) would explain why Ned Stark played the R+L secret so close, not even telling his wife: he didn't want to risk his own family betraying him, as Darkstar did to Ashara.

A couple of problems I see here. First, do the Kingsguard get to have squires? I don't think their duties really allow for it, but I could be wrong. The closest I see is Cersei's thoughts about Tommen and Ser Loras, but even if that would be possible that would fall under their special oaths to protect the king. Taking on as squire someone outside the royal family seems highly unlikely. Can't come up with any examples of such that we know of; can you?

Assuming young Gerold is Arthur's squire and was at the tower to have knowledge of the pregnancy, just who did he "tattle" to? Doran? We have no clue that Doran knows of the events there. In fact, all of his calculations seem to ignore the presence of a child from Lyanna and Rhaegar. We have nothing to point to Doran having knowledge of anything to do with the tower, nor his thinking of Ser Gerold in relationship to any of these events.

Now, admittedly our own information base for the Darkstar is slim at best, so we are all building theories based on scant evidence, but this direction seems to go against what we know of Prince Doran as well as being based on almost nothing we know of Ser Gerold other than he was related to Ser Arthur. My thinking anyway.

I do not think he is operating alone.

He literally has no reason i can see for starting a war in the first place,

He's not avenging Oberyn. From what i remember Oberyn labeled him as "poison" it doesn't sound as there was a lot of love.

He also seems to have no love for The main branch of House Dayne from the way he was so bitter about Ser Arthur being the only one remembered, so it's not some random idiotic revenge mission.

------------------------

I don't think he used poison, a few weeks had passed by the time Ser Balon Swann reached Sunspear and she was injured but no other side affects that have been mentioned so far..

Archived