Wow, I Never Noticed That V.3 Eyes Wide Shut Edition

Winter's Knight

I think all of Dany's chapters happen a few months before everyone elses, this is how they find out about her marriage and pregnancy reasonably quickly, it also accounts for how far Vaes Dothrak is from Pentos and the time it takes to get there.

I see - thanks for clarifying.

"He [sam] spoke awkwardly of King Stannis and Melisandre of Asshai, intending to stop at that, but one thing led to another and he found himself speaking of Mance Rayder and his wildings, king's blood and dragons, and before he knew what was happening, all the rest came spilling out; the wights at the Fist of the First Men, the Other on his dead horse, the murder of the Old Bear at Craster's Keep..."

"Sam hesitated a moment, then told his tale again as Marwyn, Alleras, and the other novice listened."

I think it's likely that when Sam told Marwyn about Jeor's death, he told Marwyn that Jeor's dying wish was for Jorah to join the Night's Watch, which means Marwyn might be the one to tell Jorah about it if they cross paths.

"He [sam] spoke awkwardly of King Stannis and Melisandre of Asshai, intending to stop at that, but one thing led to another and he found himself speaking of Mance Rayder and his wildings, king's blood and dragons, and before he knew what was happening, all the rest came spilling out; the wights at the Fist of the First Men, the Other on his dead horse, the murder of the Old Bear at Craster's Keep..."

"Sam hesitated a moment, then told his tale again as Marwyn, Alleras, and the other novice listened."

I think it's likely that when Sam told Marwyn about Jeor's death, he told Marwyn that Jeor's dying wish was for Jorah to join the Night's Watch, which means Marwyn might be the one to tell Jorah about it if they cross paths.

Yay!!

It sounds like Irri and Jhiqui are sisters (Dany mentions them having a single father), which I never noticed. Furthermore, Dany gets Irri/Jhiqui from Viserys, who would have to have gotten them from Illyrio. And if they were enslaved when Drogo destroyed their father's khalasar, that means Illyrio would presumably have originally gotten them from Drogo. (I suppose there could be some steps between, with Drogo (and/or his riders) transferring them to someone who then transferred them to Illyrio, but given the existing Illyrio/Drogo business relationship, I find that unlikely.) It looks like there was a bit of "re-gifting" going on here: Drogo "gifts" Irri/Jhiqui to Illyrio, then Illyrio "gifts" Irri/Jhiqui (via Viserys) back to Drogo's wife.

I think Illyrio has a very strong hand in slave trade as Tyrion suspected.

“By land or by sea, there are long leagues between Meereen and Volantis,” Tyrion observed.

“Five hundred fifty, as the dragon flies, through deserts, mountains, swamps, and demon-haunted ruins. Many and more will perish, but those who survive will be stronger by the time they reach Volantis … where they shall find you and Griff awaiting them, with fresh forces and sufficient ships to carry them all across the sea to Westeros.”

Tyrion pondered all he knew of Volantis, oldest and proudest of the Nine Free Cities. Something was awry here. Even with half a nose, he could smell it. “It’s said there are five slaves for every free man in Volantis. Why would the triarchs assist a queen who smashed the slave trade?” He pointed at Illyrio. “For that matter, why would you? Slavery may be forbidden by the laws of Pentos, yet you have a finger in that trade as well, and maybe a whole hand. And yet you conspire for the dragon queen, and not against her. Why? What do you hope to gain from Queen Daenerys?”

“Are we back to that again? You are a persistent little man.” Illyrio gave a laugh and slapped his belly. “As you will. The Beggar King swore that I should be his master of coin, and a lordly lord as well. Once he wore his golden crown, I should have my choice of castles … even Casterly Rock, if I desired.”

Tyrion snorted wine back up the scarred stump that had been his nose. “My father would have loved to hear that.”

“Your lord father had no cause for concern. Why would I want a rock? My manse is large enough for any man, and more comfortable than your drafty Westerosi castles. Master of coin, though …” The fat man peeled another egg. “I am fond of coins. Is there any sound as sweet as the clink of gold on gold?”

A sister’s screams. “Are you quite certain that Daenerys will make good her brother’s promises?”

“She will, or she will not.” Illyrio bit the egg in half. “I told you, my little friend, not all that a man does is done for gain. Believe as you wish, but even fat old fools like me have friends, and debts of affection to repay.”

Liar, thought Tyrion. There is something in this venture worth more to you than coin or castles.

“The best calumnies are spiced with truth,” suggested Qavo, “but the girl’s true sin cannot be denied. This arrogant child has taken it upon herself to smash the slave trade, but that traffic was never confined to Slaver’s Bay. It was part of the sea of trade that spanned the world, and the dragon queen has clouded the water.

“Very good,” he [Tyrion] said, plucking up his dragon. “The most powerful piece in the game,” he announced, as he removed one of Qavo’s elephants. “And Daenerys Targaryen has three, it’s said.”

“Three,” Qavo allowed, “against thrice three thousand enemies. Grazdan mo Eraz was not the only envoy sent out from the Yellow City. When the Wise Masters move against Meereen, the legions of New Ghis will fight beside them. Tolosi. Elyrians. Even the Dothraki.”

“You have Dothraki outside your own gates,” Haldon said.

Khal Pono.” Qavo waved a pale hand in dismissal. “The horselords come, we give them gifts, the horselords go.” He moved his catapult again, closed his hand around Tyrion’s alabaster dragon, removed it from the board.

The Dothraki are the largest slave creators, essential for the continual of the slave trade.

Bran in ADWD re: Eating the elk:

"Coldhands butchered the brave beast who had carried them so far. He told himself he would not eat, that it was better to go hungry than to feast upon a friend, but in the end he’d eaten twice."

Jojenpaste foreshadowing :)

Not eyes wide shut, but. Some picks from latest re-read.
From aGoT from Sansa

"and began to read a long list of names, commanding each in the name of king and council to present themselves and swear their fealty to Joffrey. Failing that, they would be adjudged traitors, their lands and titles forfeit to the throne.

The names he read made Sansa hold her breath. Bla bla, many names, Lady Shella Whent, bla bla."

And like in next parchment:

"Pycelle continued.

“It is also the wish of His Grace that his loyal servant, Janos Slynt, Commander of the City Watch of King’s Landing, be at once raised to the rank of lord and granted the ancient seat of Harrenhal with all its attendant lands and incomes, and that his sons and grandsons shall hold these honors after him until the end of time.""

Wanna keep your lands Lady Whent ? Uups too slow. :D

From Tyrion I aCoK

Littlefinger laughed. “You’re a braver man than me, Lannister. You do know the fate of our last two Hands?”

Come on Tyrion if you don't know for sure that Jon was poisened, how does Littlefinger know ?

Not eyes wide shut, but. Some picks from latest re-read.
From aGoT from Sansa

Wanna keep your lands Lady Whent ? Uups too slow. :D

From Tyrion I aCoK

Come on Tyrion if you don't know for sure that Jon was poisened, how does Littlefinger know ?

I think LF was only referring to the fact that the previous two hands (Ned and Jon) had died whilst in office (while in reality it were the last 4 hands).

And LF would know who poisoned Jon Arryn, since it was him who arranged it :) Lysa admits it in aSoS. I'm assuming you've read that book already

I just realized that Sansa hasn't been near a weirwood since she reached King's Landing. Only now that she's down from the mountains can she get someplace visible to Bran. Arya may be visible through the faces on the doors to the House of Black and White, Sansa may be visible while doing things around the Vale, GhostJon has the weirwood grove in the near vicinity, Rickon almost certainly has weirwoods on Skagos.

Pretty early in the next book it may be within Bran's ability to contact all of his remaining siblings, at least to some extent.

“Lord Eddard’s daughters live. One has just been wed. The other…” Brienne, where are you? Have you found her? “…if the gods are good, she’ll forget she was a Stark. She’ll wed some burly blacksmith or fat-faced inkeep, fill his house with children, and never need to fear that some knight might come along to smash their heads against a wall.”

Above foreshadowing Arya marrying Gendry or Hot Pie?

As my username implies... I'm a fan of this theory/wishful thinking :)

Oh that would be so awful. I think I would cry at that.

That would be three red comets in 18 years, with two of those only two years apart. That sounds like a lot, especially since everybody is making such a big deal about it in 299 AL. It doesn't sound like it happens that often, to me.

I guess the sky was described as blood streaked since Ned had just found Lyanna (with her rose petals in a bed of blood).

Edit: or it was just because of his fever dream :)

Bran has a crush on Meera?

Quotes! :D

Someone made mention of Jon using Ghost as a sword between himself and Ygitte. Then he remarks that this must be the first time in the history of westeros that a direwolf was used a save a maid's honor.

I would like to point out Bran took to using the same method with Meera Reed. When they are in the caves he remakes that summer would sleep between them.

Something that always struck me on a re-read was that Cat also predicted Jon's death or coma like states. She states before jon leave for the wall that it should be him lying broken in the bed, this is even before we see Bran's vision. Yet this isn't the first time that Bran has predicted Jon's death. When Bran sees Ghost for the first time he notices that not only are Ghost's eyes are open but they are blood red like that of the man that just died from the night's watch. Yet he describes it more like his eyes are like the fresh blood on the snow after the man died.

I use to read the kettleblack name as back.

I've always like the reference by Jamie about the daughter marrying a blacksmith and found that to connect with Arya and Gendry. Anyone that says there isn't sexual chemisty between these two is crazy. At harrenhal she wakes him up and he's naked this girl doesn't turn her head or anything she gets an eye full. Then they are always play fighting.

The fingerbones, boots and hank of hair that Mel was talking about

I definitlydidn't know that Tywin was poisioned I didn't even pick up on that one.

Jamie Lannister and siblings their mother might not be dead but a sister of the silent sisters. There was that chick Jamie meets when he's standing vigil for their father and he only has the one hand. In Jamie's dreams he always has 2 hands.

Syrio might have been a faceless man, turning in to Jaquen thust would place him in a position to be in the black cells. Then to turn again in to Pate at Oldstown

Someone made mention of Jon using Ghost as a sword between himself and Ygitte. Then he remarks that this must be the first time in the history of westeros that a direwolf was used a save a maid's honor.

I would like to point out Bran took to using the same method with Meera Reed. When they are in the caves he remakes that summer would sleep between them.

Something that always struck me on a re-read was that Cat also predicted Jon's death or coma like states. She states before jon leave for the wall that it should be him lying broken in the bed, this is even before we see Bran's vision. Yet this isn't the first time that Bran has predicted Jon's death. When Bran sees Ghost for the first time he notices that not only are Ghost's eyes are open but they are blood red like that of the man that just died from the night's watch. Yet he describes it more like his eyes are like the fresh blood on the snow after the man died.

I use to read the kettleblack name as back.

I've always like the reference by Jamie about the daughter marrying a blacksmith and found that to connect with Arya and Gendry. Anyone that says there isn't sexual chemisty between these two is crazy. At harrenhal she wakes him up and he's naked this girl doesn't turn her head or anything she gets an eye full. Then they are always play fighting.

The fingerbones, boots and hank of hair that Mel was talking about

I definitlydidn't know that Tywin was poisioned I didn't even pick up on that one.

Jamie Lannister and siblings their mother might not be dead but a sister of the silent sisters. There was that chick Jamie meets when he's standing vigil for their father and he only has the one hand. In Jamie's dreams he always has 2 hands.

Syrio might have been a faceless man, turning in to Jaquen thust would place him in a position to be in the black cells. Then to turn again in to Pate at Oldstown

The person Jamie sees while standing vigil is Cersei. He even calls her "sister" and proceeds to discuss Tommen. Jamie does have a dream of Joanna later, in which he mistakes her for Cersei though. Its definitely Cersei.he sees though

That's because its a theory, which means it isn't certain. There are some people thinking that that is what happened. I still have my very strong doubts. The arguments used for the theory aren't that strong, IMHO.

GRRM has confirmed that Syrio is dead.

Archived