December Reads -almost time for the Holidays!

mashiara

I finally finished Wizard for Hire, the omnibus of the first three Harry Dresden novels by Jim Butcher (Storm Front, Fool Moon, Grave Peril). I had the same opinion that many others on this board have had -- the first two were OK, and the third was much better. Most of the characters in the first two books just weren't as interesting as in the third -- the addition of Michael as a spiritual contrast to the self-loathing cynic Dresden, and the character of Lea, a very creative twist on the "fairy godmother" concept, really made Grave Peril much more interesting for me. Plus I thought some of the gore in Fool Moon was a bit gratuitous.

If the subsequent novels are of the same caliber as Grave Peril, I can certainly see why this has become a very popular series.

Might try The Maze Runner. Anyone read this? Supposed to be similar to The Hunger Games. There is a film out next Autumn.

I thought it was fairly mediocre. I liked the idea of the maze and some parts were interesting. But overall one of the weaker YA dystopian reads. Out of curiosity I read the spoilers for the other two books in the trilogy and it sounds like it doesn't come to a satisfying conclusion and leaves open a lot of questions...that killed any interest I might have had in reading either of those books and just stopped after the first one.

Hmmm. Well, I've bought it now so I guess I'll read it anyhow. Probably worth it if it's being made into a film. No need to read the sequels though if the first book isn't very good.

I started The Still Point by Amy Sackville intending for it to be my last completed book of 2013 but I'm only 12% done with it. Trouble is, it's a literary novel so I can't zip through it as I want to fully appreciate it. Best put it aside for today and start a graphic novel which I can finish in order to complete my reading challenge for the year. :)

I finished Dangerous Women anthology yesterday. I found this a weaker anthology compared to Unfettered or Warriors. I felt the topic of dangerous women seemed too narrow and some of the stories seemed too similar in themes. Still, there was some very good stories.

Started Ethan of Athos by Lois McMaster Bujold.

I just finished Donna Tart's The Goldfinch and I couldn't have ended the year on a better note. I loved it, I loved the story, I loved the writing. It was brilliant at times, very good the rest of the time and I couldn't put it down. Well worth the wait.

Well, you got through that in no time at all! I'll be starting it after I complete The Still Point.

I've just completed The Sandman series. Really glad I worked my way through the series this year. I think it paid off to be able to read them quite close together, much like watching a series on DVD instead of on a weekly basis makes it more intense.

I didn't think I'd get done before year's end, I really didn't, but I loved it so much I wanted to keep on reading, even if it meant getting even less sleep and balancing that bulky hardcover while trying to avoid the twins' attention. It was a treat, I think you'll like it too.

Archived