December Reads -almost time for the Holidays!

mashiara

I've been in a weird mood lately and not reading as much as I normally do, but I'm currently close to finishing the first book in the Shadows of the Apt series, Empire in Black and Gold by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

I'm enjoying it a lot and I think it has a lot of original -to me, at least- ideas. I think if I was in the right mindset I'd be unable to put it down, it's a very good read. So far. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series and seeing what he does with his characters.

So, what about you?

Finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn last night. There's something about the way she writes that just grabs me. Gone Girl was probably my favourite, but the others aren't far behind. I really like how she keeps things from you as a reader, and I feel constantly surprised as the story goes on.

Next, I'm still not sure. Reckon I'll pick a book off the shelf at random. I ordered Looking for JJ by Anne Cassidy on the recommendation of a housemate, so I might go for that.

Recently finished The Innkeeper's Song by Peter S Beagle. I don't think it was as good as The Last Unicorn, but still solid. Best characters were The Fox and Karsh.

Next up: heading back to Constantinople for the second instalment of John Julius Norwich's Byzantium trilogy.

I finished Leigh Bardugo's Siege and Storm. I enjoyed it, although the pacing could have been better - the start and end of the book felt a bit rushed, which was a shame since they were the most interesting parts of it.

Next up in Hugh Howey's Dust which I'm hoping will be closer in quality to the first book in the series than the second.

I finished the Cuckoo's Calling, which was really fun and nicely immersive. I think it's a bit toned down for Rowling, if anything - I expected the world of ditzy celebrities to be one where that really cruel eye for character of hers would be having a ball, but it's reasonably nice, all told. Not exactly great literature or even particularly thought provoking, but i'd check out a sequel.

Felt like more mystery, so I picked up The Boy in The Suitcase.

Haven't posted here in a while. Last night I finished the ninth Wild Cards book, Jokertown Shuffle. Decent, but not terribly interesting. I can see what the writers mean when they say the Jumper plotline didn't turn out so well in execution.

This morning I started Icehenge, one of Kim Stanley Robinson's earliest books.

It's also been quite awhile since I've posted in a reading thread. I think the last update was that I had just started The Ace of Skulls by Chris Wooding, I have since finished that and also Necessary Evil by Ian Tregillis. Both were great, and also the end of their respective series so I don't think I need to say all that much about them other than that they're both highly recommended. I also read The Walking Dead Vol. 10 it was very good. I'm disappointed in how issue 100 went down, but it looks like Book 10 will be a great one. I think I would go insane if I was reading this month-to-month.

I've now started Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie; I've enjoyed her short fiction over the years so I've been really looking forward to this one. I'm less than 10% through, but it's very enjoyable so far.

I'm currently reading The Heart of Everything That Is a biography of Red Cloud, a legendary but forgotten Sioux chief.

Then will come Baseball's Creation Myth followed by JFK in the Senate.

All three books I received from either Goodreads or LibraryThing so they automatically went to the top of my TBR pile above all the other books.

Started the next book on The List before finishing godawful Lucifer's Hammer (but I will finish). So onto Jack Vance's Lyonesse series, which so far is lovely.

Also started Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog, recommended by boarder Sabby - so far, so good. I'm enjoying it more than Doomsday Book, which was more good than likeable.

Archived