December Reads -almost time for the Holidays!

mashiara

Well, of the books I said I was going to finish last month, I only finished two, meaning I'm still reading Mistborn: Well of Ascension, The Blade Itself, The Lies of Locke Lamora, Bleak House, and Wuthering Heights. Because I didn't have enough on my plate, I added the Wheel of Time prequel novel, and started His Dark Materials trilogy.

I will finish the Blade Itself, becuase that admittedly has most of my attention. I hope to finish Well of Ascension and Bleak House. No way on Wuthering Heights, or the two I just started reading.

MST gets a thumbs down from me. Too boring, and that's from someone that likes slow, rambly books!

After reading the Farseer trilogy, the Liveships trilogy, and the Tawny Man trilogy, I decided to go back and start over with the Farseer trilogy again. I can't recall ever having done that before, but I don't regret it at all. I am now back on Assassin's Quest. I think once I finish this one I'll be ready to move on to something else. Although I might have to re-read the ending of Fool's Fate because I need me some Molly/Fitz after the Farseer trilogy. :cry:

ETA: I have a weird feeling of deja vu about this post, like I maybe said this already. oops.

Dragonfly Falling by Adrian Tchaikovsky was a good read and a good second book to what appears to be a very interesting series. Definitely interested in reading more.

Village Books by Craig McLay, on the other hand, was not fun. It tried too hard and didn't deliver.

I've now started Dr Sleep by Stephen King. I know I'll enjoy this one, it might even be my last read for the year.

Also, thumbs down for Memory, Sorrow, Thorn from me as well.

Officially hooked on Vorkosigan, finished up the first Miles book and loved it. Was going to read Mage's Blood by David Hair on my vacation (because it is a think damn book and I don't want to lug it back and forth to work) but ended up starting Red Rising by Pierce Brown because I got stuck in town with only my kindle app. This may be the last dystopia for a while if it can't prove to be better than the last few attempts.

Finished Doctor Who: The Dalek Generation, it was a quick and fun read though with some miscues in the plot.

Starting The Kobayashi Maru by Julia Ecklar, its a Star Trek novel featuring the Original Crew. This is going to be the last "never-before-read" book of the year unless my last outstanding Early Reviewers giveaway book arrives before the end of the year.

I'm going to start my re-read project for 2014 a few weeks early with The Hobbit followed by Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, as well as reviewing the film on my review blog (link in my signature).

I'm reading Blade of Tyshalle by Matthew Stover. Like the first book it took me a little while to get into for some reason but now it's got going it's really good.

BoT is one of all-time favorite books (it shares a first place with ASOS). I absolutely loved it. Could you post your thoughts when you're finished? I'd like to hear them.

Finished The Left Hand of Darkness by Le Guin and I can see why this is one of the classics of science fiction. Very good book. I'm glad I finally got around to it.

I got a couple of chapters into Jo Graham's Stealing Fire before getting bored and putting it down. Maybe I'll give it another try later. Picked up American Gods next.

I attempted to read the whole series over the summer, and it feels like it just gets slower and more ponderous with each book. It's not easy going. I made it to Heretics, but had to switch to something more lively.

Much respect for Dune, but the sequels aren't Required Reading for the SF Fanatic in Cryptile's book.

I recently bought the Great Dune Trilogy, with all three of the original books in it. I bought it loving the TV show, and seeing it every time in the bookshops. It was quite cheap for under £12, for over a thousand pages. I have heard it is a bit slow of reading, I am hoping it's good as I heard the original three books are vital, but not the sequels especially those written by Herbert's son.

But currently, I am finishing the First Law by Joe Abercrombie, which I am thoroughly enjoying and with less than 120 pages, left I am tense. Afterwards for over the Christmas period, I have a lot to read. With Abercrombie's stand-alone works, Mark Lawrence's Broken Empire, and Daniel Abraham's The Dagger and the Coin series. Not only that :stillsick: I also have the two massive, thick The Walking Dead comic compendiums to read at a thousand pages a piece. As well as a few Post-Apocalypse novels to get started on. I have a lot of Holiday reading to get on with. Never knew Christmas reading could be so daunting, and fun at the same time :)

MST gets a thumbs down from me. Too boring, and that's from someone that likes slow, rambly books!

After reading the Farseer trilogy, the Liveships trilogy, and the Tawny Man trilogy, I decided to go back and start over with the Farseer trilogy again. I can't recall ever having done that before, but I don't regret it at all. I am now back on Assassin's Quest. I think once I finish this one I'll be ready to move on to something else. Although I might have to re-read the ending of Fool's Fate because I need me some Molly/Fitz after the Farseer trilogy. :cry:

ETA: I have a weird feeling of deja vu about this post, like I maybe said this already. oops.

I have slowly pieced together the Farseer trilogy, from charity shops and Amazon and now have the three books of the trilogy. I haven't started them yet, but I know they get a lot of praise and I am looking forward to starting them... eventually :)

Officially hooked on Vorkosigan, finished up the first Miles book and loved it. Was going to read Mage's Blood by David Hair on my vacation (because it is a think damn book and I don't want to lug it back and forth to work) but ended up starting Red Rising by Pierce Brown because I got stuck in town with only my kindle app. This may be the last dystopia for a while if it can't prove to be better than the last few attempts.

I have Mage's Blood by David Hair, I haven't got started on it either. It is a thick book, with almost a thousand words. I am also looking to get the second book of the series as well, Scarlet Tides. I hear it is a heavy book to read, but it is deep and has a very interesting take on fantasy according to reviews.

Well, of the books I said I was going to finish last month, I only finished two, meaning I'm still reading Mistborn: Well of Ascension, The Blade Itself, The Lies of Locke Lamora, Bleak House, and Wuthering Heights. Because I didn't have enough on my plate, I added the Wheel of Time prequel novel, and started His Dark Materials trilogy.

I will finish the Blade Itself, becuase that admittedly has most of my attention. I hope to finish Well of Ascension and Bleak House. No way on Wuthering Heights, or the two I just started reading.

Hey man, I would say stick to The Blade Itself, Joe Abercrombie's works get better as you move onto the last two books of the First Law trilogy. I am currently reading the last 120 pages of the final book; Last Argument of Kings. But you sound like you have ALOT on your plate to read as it is, and to add two more books on top may be damaging for Holiday spirits :)

I am looking to get into the Wheel of Time series as well, but I hear it goes on for a long time in terms of books. I was looking at buying the first book, but saw how many there are in the series and the prequel you are speaking of. I thought let's wait until I get some of my reading material down a few books, then think about jumping into Wheel of Time.

Dear Lit Board,

Will I like Memory, Sorrow and Thorn? Although you're bad at general recommendations, you seem to be pretty good when I ask you specific questions.

Thanks, Eponine

I'm reading Troubles by J.G. Farrell and will probably start on The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt next.

When people say it's slow, that's a massive understatement. There's a part where the main character wanders around sightless in dark tunnels for around a hundred pages, only to end up strapped to a waterwheel for another 50 pages. And I think he was mad and delusional for most of this section. Maybe it's not so bad if you just quickly skim through all these sections, but all I recall is that the reading experience was miserable.

So this Saturday I will start my 10 day vacation from work and I want to get my reading ON!

Currently I have started The Hobbit

A few weeks ago I had started Lies of Locke Lamora and stopped, and now I just got The Night Angel Trilogy.

I need your help guys, which book do I read of the ones I posted above ;).

I plan to be be reading: (not counting rereading books):

-Tigana
-Best Served Cold
-The Heroes
-The Name of the Wind
-Wraith Squadron
-Whiteout
-Fall of Giants
-The Lies of Locke Lamora
-The 100-year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window And Disappeared
-Caine Black Knife
-Caine's Law

Gonna be two busy weeks.

I finished Red Rising by Peirce Brown. A strange YA Hunger Games/Lord of the Flies mash-up. It will probably be popular but I was pretty meh about it. Try again to start Mage's Blood, and rereading Hogfather from Pratchett, though that is going slow because the picture of Santa with tusks on my paperback is "scary" according to the three year old of the house.

Archived