Who Is That One (Or More) Character You'd Defend to the End?

Winter's Knight

I don't have the text in front of me, but doesn't Catelyn repeatedly say that she wants her daughters back? That isn't her saying it's best for them, it's her saying that's what SHE wants. It's a bit tricky since that part of the story is told from her POV, admittedly.

And I still stand by the belief that her daughters are safest at King's Landing as hostages as long as Robb holds Jaime, who's by far the most valuable piece in this deal. If Robb's endgame is to seek revenge for his father and rescue his sisters, then King's Landing is in the cards anyway for the Starks.

Catelyn wants her daughters back because that way she can be sure of their safety, aka what is best for them. Simply, her daughters are not safest in King's Landing with the Lannister. Seeing how the Lannisters already killed her husband(their father) when they held him captive despite the fact that would instigate a war with the Starks thus they might cruelly do the same. Secondly, seeing how Sansa is repeatedly having to put up with physical beatings, verbal insults, rape threats, and other emotional turmoil it is obvious that she isn't safest there.

Moreover, when Catelyn acts on her efforts to release Jaime IIRC it is before the Battle of Blackwater. Meaning her action if successful, would work to ensure that her daughters are not stuck in King's Landing when Stannis is leading a sack/capture of the city and all the risks that contains(like rape or murder as mentioned by Cersei). Furthermore, if Stannis wins the battle that just means Sansa is still captured(if not dead as result of the battle) and that Jaime is now a worthless hostage as Stannis holds the capital.

Nor is Jaime a more valuable tool then Robb's only heirs, in how by holding Sansa and Arya that gives the Lannisters the mean to steal Winterfell by forcibly making her daughters marry one of their cronies(like Tyrion) as now Robb's heir is married to one of the Lannister's own. That is not to even mention how Sansa might be used to arrange some type of marriage alliance with some other power.

Robb was never going to take King's Landing unless the Vale suddenly came to his aid, thus there is no reason for her to hold for that.

It's not that I don't bear hearing them being criticized but I will defend them till the end:

Robert Baratheon:

The gods be damned. It was a hollow victory they gave me. A crown ... it was the girl I prayed them for. Your sister, safe ... and mine again, as she was meant to be. I ask you, Ned, what good is it to wear a crown? The gods mock the prayers of kings and cowherds alike.

Theon Greyjoy:

Only a fool humbles himself when the world is so full of men eager to do that job for him.

Oh, and the gif: http://media.giphy.com/media/Vuw9m5wXviFIQ/giphy.gif

Jon first.

"I am the shield that guards the realms of men. Those are the words. So tell me, my lord - what are these wildlings, if not men?"

I can't stand it when people are like "He was a terrible ruler in ADWD", "I hope he die/stay dead", "All hail Bowen March". My heart die a little each time.

Jaime.

"So many vows...they make you swear and swear. Defend the king. Obey the king. Keep his secrets. Do his bidding. Your life for his. But obey your father. Love your sister. Protect the innocent. Defend the weak. Respect the gods. Obey the laws. It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or the other.”

For me, all the bad things that he've done is because of Cersei. She's the worst part of him.

Sansa.

"She had last seen the snow the day she'd left Winterfell. That was a lighter fall than this, she remembered. Robb had meltings flakes in his hair when he hugged me, and the snowball Arya tried to make kept coming apart in her hands. It hurt to remmeber how happy she had been that morning. Hullen had helped her mount, and she'd ridden out with the snowflakes swirling around her, off to see the great wide world. I though my song was beginning that day, but it was almost done."

I feel the need to defend her, especially to my show-friends. And as the criticisms about her in AGOT, come on ! she was only eleven.

Feel the need to defend all the Starks in general.

Ah and I have a hard time with people being mean to Rhaegar because I feel that we don't have enough informations to put the blame on him and he even seemed to be a great guy.

Archived