Will Theon Take the Black?

Shah

Good post, Jon of the Dead (#26). :)

Just wondering though, why do people hate the idea of Theon dying to resurrect Jon?

I hate it because it makes Theon's entire arc worthless. Theon's been struggling with his identity for the whole series, and in that struggle has ended up as the tool of various people- first as a ward of the Starks, then as Balon's son, then as Ramsay's Reek. He's always been someone's something, which is the same as saying he's nothing at all (that's a quote btw, dunno where from). He's never really been able to make his own decisions for himself- something not influenced by others or trying to live up to someone else's standards.

At the end of ADWD he's taking steps to making his own choices- yes, he was roped into the rescue mission by the spearwives, but at the moment of truth, on the walls of Winterfell with no-one around, he chose to pick up Jeyne and jump over the wall. He didn't do it to impress anyone or becuase of anyone's influence, but because he wanted to save her.

For him to be executed by Stannis at the heart tree and his blood resurrecting Jon would be awful, because it would have Theon be a tool again. He'd be killed with no choice of his own, to serve a purpose he doesn't even know. He'd have no agency whatsoever, which is a terrible conclusion to an arc which is all about Theon gaining agency for the first time in his life.

I'm not against Theon sacrificing himself for Jon. If he gets to the Wall, finds Jon dead and willingly walking into a fire/bleeding into the heart tree to bring Jon back, that's fine. That would be Theon making his own choice, even at the end of his life. It's the idea of Stannis' execution of him leading to Jon's resurrection that I can't stand.

Just wondering though, why do people hate the idea of Theon dying to resurrect Jon?

Because its just so lame.... I don't want Jon resurected by anyone to do so would really cheapen the story.

Too many undead characters as it is. Beric was cool but it should have stopped there.

Yeah, for the reasons everyone said, and above all what a great waste it would be for what I honestly think it's one of the most, complex, original and complicated character I've seen in a very, very long time. Theon is a masterpiece

Because its just so lame.... I don't want Jon resurected by anyone to do so would really cheapen the story.

Too many undead characters as it is. Beric was cool but it should have stopped there.

Jon wouldn't be undead, but waking from a state of near-death, a coma. I don't think it will be Theon's life, but Asha's.

I agree with what Jon of the Dead said, and that it would be waste for Theon's character arc. Nearly everyone with Stannis wants Theon to die and death would be a mercy for Theon, so Theon won't die. GRRM creates an impression only to pull the rug out from under us. I think he will remember Luwin's advice from ACoK, and ask to take the black. Once a man asks, he can't be denied, and everyone knows Jon is the LC, so Theon's request will be granted.

The Watch would be the only way he could live with some dignity and honor. There's much worse men on the Wall then him and he was a skilled warrior once and could possibly become one again. But I don't see it (is the Night's Watch even going to be around come TWOW?)

Nor do I see a half-mad eunuch ever getting the Seastone chair. So Theon will have to regain his dignity, honor, and name in death rather than life.

I am (as usual) probably in the minority, but I don't see Theon dying at all. I think he'll be one of the few to survive the series.

I don't see it making much narrative sense if he dies. That wouldn't be a complete story arc to me. Obviously that's just my opinion, and I understand how ppl are arguing that his death - as penance - would be the culmination of his arc, but I think there is too much still for him to do.

The Iron Isles, the fact that Bran + Rickon are alive, fArya... I think there's story left for him... I don't see GRRM wasting the opportunity :)

I am (as usual) probably in the minority, but I don't see Theon dying at all. I think he'll be one of the few to survive the series.

I don't see it making much narrative sense if he dies. That wouldn't be a complete story arc to me. Obviously that's just my opinion, and I understand how ppl are arguing that his death - as penance - would be the culmination of his arc, but I think there is too much still for him to do.

The Iron Isles, the fact that Bran + Rickon are alive, fArya... I think there's story left for him... I don't see GRRM wasting the opportunity :)

I honestly don't see him dying either. I don't think he would make much of a sacrifice for Stannis, and Ramsey would just keep torturing him if he caught him again. The only way I see him dying is if he does something fatally heroic at some point.

I hate it because it makes Theon's entire arc worthless. Theon's been struggling with his identity for the whole series, and in that struggle has ended up as the tool of various people- first as a ward of the Starks, then as Balon's son, then as Ramsay's Reek. He's always been someone's something, which is the same as saying he's nothing at all (that's a quote btw, dunno where from). He's never really been able to make his own decisions for himself- something not influenced by others or trying to live up to someone else's standards.

At the end of ADWD he's taking steps to making his own choices- yes, he was roped into the rescue mission by the spearwives, but at the moment of truth, on the walls of Winterfell with no-one around, he chose to pick up Jeyne and jump over the wall. He didn't do it to impress anyone or becuase of anyone's influence, but because he wanted to save her.

For him to be executed by Stannis at the heart tree and his blood resurrecting Jon would be awful, because it would have Theon be a tool again. He'd be killed with no choice of his own, to serve a purpose he doesn't even know. He'd have no agency whatsoever, which is a terrible conclusion to an arc which is all about Theon gaining agency for the first time in his life.

I'm not against Theon sacrificing himself for Jon. If he gets to the Wall, finds Jon dead and willingly walking into a fire/bleeding into the heart tree to bring Jon back, that's fine. That would be Theon making his own choice, even at the end of his life. It's the idea of Stannis' execution of him leading to Jon's resurrection that I can't stand.

I think that's what makes Theon interesting, is that he's always doing something for someone else - not out of selflessness, mind you, but because he's always been someone's something, like you said. And so it makes me wonder where he would take himself without the influence of all those 'someones'.

You know what's sad? Theon has basically become a male version of his own mother. Both of them white-haired, mentally broken ghosts of their former selves. A Theon/Alannys reunion would be so bittersweet. :(

I honestly don't see him dying either. I don't think he would make much of a sacrifice for Stannis, and Ramsey would just keep torturing him if he caught him again. The only way I see him dying is if he does something fatally heroic at some point.

Stannis is going to sacrifice him for political reasons, not religious ones. The Northmen all want him dead, and I'm sure they still will even if the truth about Bran and Rickon gets out. Him living a long time would mean he would have to escape Stannis's camp in the middle of a Northern winter

• 3 weeks later...

I think Theon is going to redeem himself. He has been lost in this narrative for a while. His intentions when he first returned to his father was to get him to join Robb's cause. His father laughed in his face and Theon swayed to his father's side. He tried to prove himself to his father and ended up suffering greatly as Ramsay's captive. He admitted to Lady Dustin that he wanted to be a Stark and now he's finding his way again. "You have to know your name". He'll likely have to take the black to pay for his crimes in the north, or he'll have to sacrifice himself for some greater cause. His crimes were pretty heinnous so I'm leaning towards sacrifice.

Archived