What was Rhaegar doing during Defiance of Duskendale?

Mithras

In reality the best place for the Prince and sole heir to be was in King's Landing.

To nap and make emo songs? The LL cool R had to write his next hit song " when my dad was kidnapped."

You can't prove otherwise

True

This is also false. ;)

This is probably false.

Your Royal Hotness,

I did not mean to give credence to Bael's assertions that you were either an "asshole" or "off killing babies." We all know you prefer to make babies, not kill them :leer:

I merely meant to defend your musical reputation against a very serious charge. I'd like to think you had better taste in music than to have ever been a Nickelback fan ;)

To nap and make emo songs? The LL cool R had to write his next hit song " when my dad was kidnapped."

How dare you :devil:

Your Royal Hotness,

I did not mean to give credence to Bael's assertions that you were either an "asshole" or "off killing babies." We all know you prefer to make babies, not kill them :leer:

I merely meant to defend your musical reputation against a very serious charge. I'd like to think you had better taste in music than to have ever been a Nickelback fan ;)

You'd be right :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

Making maidens weep and writing letters to Aemon @ the wall.

I think the OP question is very good because the heir is usually mentioned when anything has befallen the ruler. Like how he was safe somewhere else or taking over some role.

Ser Barristan describes Rhaegar as "able", "determined" and "single-minded". I believe he was but only abouy the prophecy. He never seems to express any interest in ruling.

Hmm... how many maidens did Rhaegar bring to tears in the books other than Lyanna?

Cersei and Lyanna anf it seems all his songs were sad about tears and twilight and dead kings. Weeping when bards play seems in fact to be very common place.

What were the others signs that she would run away with him?

I forget, why does she theoretically dress up in male armor and beat those three knights?

Oh right... to have them teach their squires HONOR.

• 2 months later...

More than likely Tywin was keeping Rhaegar safe on the chance Lord Darklyn killed Aerys. With the King in danger, the heir must be kept safe.

The Defiance of Duskendale is an interesting topic. The Myrish wife of Lord Darklyn, Lady Serala, convinces the Lord to resist paying taxes. Upset with the credit Tywin is receiving as Hand of the King, Aerys takes a small force himself to deal with the situation and walks right into an ambush and is captured. After a few months, Barristan sneaks into Dun Fort and rescues the King. And Barristan is left wondering if the realm might have been healed if Aerys died and Rhaegar ascended to the throne.

Under the theory Varys is a Blackfyre, this looks like a Varys move...at the very least a Blackfyre move.

Myr is one of the cities the Blackfyre supporters escaped too after being exiled. Varys as spymaster is positioned to alert Lord Darklyn of the size of the force Aerys will be using, as well as timetables to set up this ambush. Varys is also the one whom likely uncovered the hidden passageways Barristan used to rescue Aerys.

This move was to further drive the wedge between Twyin and Aerys without Rhaegar being able to take over as King.

Maybe, this was a time when Rheagar showed good apptitude towards governance and sowed seeds of eventually, I will be a good King. We are also told that after Dunkensdale is when Aerys started his drift towards madness and it is possible that soon after Dunkensdale, he hired Varys to come and be his master of whispers. Aerys might have heard from people in Kings Landing, upon his return that Rheagar did a wonderful job sitting in his place. It all went down-hill from there.

Can I ask what you base this timing on? I have the DoD as happening well before this when Rhaegar is much younger. He is probably a young boy in King's Landing learning from his maester's lessons when the event takes place. Not a man grown, and certainly not able to command much of anyone. Perhaps i'm wrong, but I'd love to read what makes you think DoD happens so late in the chronology of events.

Can I ask what you base this timing on? I have the DoD as happening well before this when Rhaegar is much younger. He is probably a young boy in King's Landing learning from his maester's lessons when the event takes place. Not a man grown, and certainly not able to command much of anyone. Perhaps i'm wrong, but I'd love to read what makes you think DoD happens so late in the chronology of events.

The DoD happened after the Tourney at Lannisport. Aerys never left Kingslanding after the DoD until Varys convinced him he needed to travel to the Tourney at Harrenhal. Rhaegar was going to negotiate with the High Lords to support the removal of the Mad King. It's all in the wiki.

Things between Rhaegar and Aerys probably weren't so bad until after the defiance, when Aerys really started to go insane. Since Aerys was in there for six months, it seems highly likely that Rhaegar would have at least stopped by. Maybe he tried to negotiate.

Things between Rhaegar and Aerys probably weren't so bad until after the defiance, when Aerys really started to go insane. Since Aerys was in there for six months, it seems highly likely that Rhaegar would have at least stopped by. Maybe he tried to negotiate.

"Hey Lord Darklyn, mind if I pop in and say "HAI" to my pops. I want to rub it in his face that I'm free and essentially ruling the realm whilst he's in here rotting."

The only communication between Tywin and Lord Darklyn was "If you storm the walls, we will kill him." Not exactly much negotiating from there. If Rhaegar had been smart, he'd have told Tywin to storm the walls and go "Rains of Castamere" on the Darklyns. That is pretty unfair to Rhaegar though. You wouldn't want to essentially murder your dad when he's not been bad to you or the realm yet.

Archived