Eddard & Stannis are having coffee...

Feliciano69

Stannis is speaking to Davos and also Jon as a superior. Whereas he would have spoken to Eddard as equal - or inferior.

Obviously nonsense. It was long after Eddard´s breaking siege that Stannis even sailed for Dragonstone. So that Robert´s slight against Stannis did not yet exist.

I agree, Stannis is talking to them as inferiors, but the irony is.........they also seem to be the only ones with which he has and enjoys truthful conversations. With Ned, it would depend on when the conversation was held, if one came after Stannis felt he was king, there'd be a bit of the talking down, and excessive teeth grinding, I'd think. At Storms End, as mentioned in this thread earlier, I'd get the feeling that the terms with Tyrell and company beseiging were probably ordered by Robert, anyway, and Robert set precedance with his generous pardons.

I do think Jon and Stannis offer a bit of an example for a Ned and Stannis conversation, albeit with a bit more equality. I think Stannis might enjoy it inspite of himself.

All that caffeine would not be good for the teethgrinding, though.

Ned: Better drink your coffee while you can Lord Stannis, Winter is Coming.

Stannis: Pah, this coffee has SUGAR in it! Are we children or Dornishmen that we require such frippery?

Ned: I thought you may need it, its only Arabica beans , all.

Stannis: The good taste does not wash away the bad, Lord Stark.

Ned: Better drink your coffee while you can Lord Stannis, Winter is Coming.

Stannis: Pah, this coffee has SUGAR in it! Are we children or Dornishmen that we require such frippery?

Ned: I thought you may need it, its only Arabica beans , all.

Cressen: You need the milk anyway. It´s a year since you slaughtered and ate any live kine and goats in Storm´s End. And milk is good for breaking a long fast.

Stannis : Lord Eddard Stark

Ned: king Stannis

Stannis : you should be on your way north

Ned: Yes my king, Kingslanding belongs to you now

Stannis; Aye it is, I never asked for such a filthy place but it is my duty to my brother to rule here after him

Ned: very Well, may the gods be with you

Stannis : the gods have never been with me Lord Stark, what makes you think they would now. Be on your may Lord Stark. Keep the north in the kings peace or your head would be on a pike soon. I intend to cleanse my kingdom.

` How would Ned have addressed Stannis after ending the siege at Storm's End? Not "Lord"; would it have been "Ser"? (I don't recall if Stannis had been knighted or not.)

Anyway, I think the conversation would have been cordial. I think both men respected each other. The funny thing is that Ned would have gotten along well with Stannis and could have b a good friend to Stannis, and vice versa.

` How would Ned have addressed Stannis after ending the siege at Storm's End? Not "Lord"; would it have been "Ser"? (I don't recall if Stannis had been knighted or not.)

Anyway, I think the conversation would have been cordial. I think both men respected each other. The funny thing is that Ned would have gotten along well with Stannis and could have b a good friend to Stannis, and vice versa.

He'd be Lord Stannis on three counts; he's the son of Lord Steffon, he's the brother of Lord Robert, and he is the heir assumptive of the Stormlands. Consider that Tyrion is referred to as 'Lord Tyrion', who fits two of the three same points.

He'd be Lord Stannis on three counts; he's the son of Lord Steffon, he's the brother of Lord Robert, and he is the heir assumptive of the Stormlands. Consider that Tyrion is referred to as 'Lord Tyrion', who fits two of the three same points.

And Varys, although he fits none :D

Cold conversation, but they wouldn't step on each other's toes. The two of them have a lot in common, but Stannis is considerably less warm. If you consider Ned's choice in friends, it seems like he fairs better with those less like him.

Still, Kevan fits two of those criteria and he's always called Ser.

It's also notable that despite being Kevan being Lord Regent, it's Cersei who continuously thinks of him as Ser Kevan, chucking perspective in the equation (which makes sense, most lowborn tend to refer to highborn as lord and lady, regardless of titles). He was also never an heir assumptive. I'll just go out on a limb and say case by case basis :dunno:

How did Eddard satisfy himself that it was right to overrule Stannis and pardon Reach, and that he had heard and thought of all Stannis´ arguments against pardon and answered them to his own satisfaction?

Why would Ned pardoning Mace count as him overruling Stannis? Seeing how Stannis held no real position at that moment besides Robert's younger brother?

I thought that Tyrion gets called "Lord" after he joins the Small Council. If so, it's just an empty title (on the basis of not having lands).

I guess the sons of lords are sometimes called lordlings, but again aren't actual lords. I guess it's not that important.

I thought that Tyrion gets called "Lord" after he joins the Small Council. If so, it's just an empty title (on the basis of not having lands).

I guess the sons of lords are sometimes called lordlings, but again aren't actual lords. I guess it's not that important.

He gets called it right from his first chapter. Sandor, Aemon, Jeor, quite a few people extend that courtesy to him early on.

It would be the most uncomfortable silence since that time Catelyn walked in one of Robb and Roose's war councils and found them making out passionately on top of a giant map of Westeros.

hot.

Ned: *sips coffee*

Stannis: *sips coffee*

Ned: "..."

Stannis: "...Hmph..."

Ned: *puts more milk in his coffee"

Stannis: "...pass that this way, please."

Ned: *passes milk* "So...What brings you so far up here?"

Stannis: *glare* "Wait...arent you dead?"

Ned: "This is a hypothetical. Anything can happen. Just answer the question."

Stannis: *grinds teeth* "Hmph. Logically speaking, this so-called hypothetical cannot happen. But alas, i shall humor you. Wildings came flooding over the Wall. Lady Melisandre tells me there is a great evil beyond the Wall. As the champion of fire and the rightful heir to the throne, i must comply."

Ned: "......i see..."

Stannis: "Do you object? The North shall bend its knee to me."

Ned: "...They declared a King In The North--"

Stannis: *cuts Ned off* "And that 'king' is dead."

Ned: "erugh....." *soul crushing look of despair*

Stannis: "His so-called heirs are dead as well..."

Ned: "....Heh...hehehahhahahhahahaha!"

Stannis: "Why are you laughing?"

Ned: *finishes his coffee* "Because, my lord, you know so little."

Stannis: *gets up in a fury* "You dare? If anyone would understand, i thought it you. Despite the illogicality of this conversation!"

Ned: "....."

~Meanwhile, At Greywater Watch~

Howland: *sits down for a coffee*

Glover: "My lord...i have a message..."

Howland: *stirs his sugar in his coffee* "Ahhhhh good. Good. It is time...Send a raven to the Wall."

Random Maester: "Yes my lord."

Why would Ned pardoning Mace count as him overruling Stannis? Seeing how Stannis held no real position at that moment besides Robert's younger brother?

He was the commander of the army who had stood siege at Storm´s End. They were commanders of two armies on the same side... so which of them was the superior? Stannis was the one whom Robert had left in charge of Storm´s End, and the whole Stormlands, when he marched his army abroad across Reach. So Stannis could thank Eddard for bailing him out from siege... and argue that Eddard operating on Stannis´ turf ought to take Stannis´ commands.

Archived