Cersei's plan to kill Trystane

Northernmonkey

Does anyone else think there's something fishy about Cersei's plan to kill Trystane? We only hear about it from Doran, and it seems unbelievably stupid, even for Cersei. There's no way that Doran would believe Tyrion was behind it, and it would probably lead to Dorne rebelling against the Iron Throne.

Is it possible that Doran's sources in King's landing have been playing him? Maybe Varys put out false information in order to convince Doran to rebel against the Iron Throne and send him into alliance with Aegon. Or maybe Doran is lying in order to appease the sand snakes (although I don't think Doran's that kind of guy).

Well, Balon Swann nearly choking on his fiery peppers when Doran suggested they'd take a boat trip instead of going by land does seem to suggest there might be some truth to that plan. But I love it how much faith you have in Cersei!

I actually think Cersei vastly underestimates Doran. Doran is a sick old man, and as far as I know he's never really actively meddled with Cersei's politics. Outside of Dorne it seems like Oberyn is seen as the dangerous one while Doran seems to have the image of being peaceful and maybe not the most clever man. Also, Cersei generally seems to have a problem with realising that the people she is trying to play have a brain of their own and might not do what she wants them to do. I'm pretty sure Tywin wouldn't have made that mistake, though.

Well, Balon Swann nearly choking on his fiery peppers when Doran suggested they'd take a boat trip instead of going by land does seem to suggest there might be some truth to that plan. But I love it how much faith you have in Cersei!

That is the main problem with the theory, but it is possible that he was genuinely worried about pirates, or worried about what Cersei would say.

In one of Cersei's Feast chapters, she tells the Smallest Council that she is sending Ser Balon Swann to Dorne with Gregor's head, but thinks to herself that he has another task, but the Council don't need to hear it. I'll find the quote.

I remember that chapter as well

I hope Cersei didn't really plan this. The Lannisters barely won WOT5Ks and the realm is in shambles. They have just replaced 2 old and powerful Great Houses. The Ironborn are attacking. Robert Arryn doesn't seem to be in the best shape. Also who is else Myrcella gonna marry, a Frey, Baelish, another Tyrell.

The Dornishmen are blood thirsty, 16 years later. Then Oberyn died in King's Landing. If another of their royals die, I doubt they are going to keep listening to Doran's talks of caution. His bannerman and citizens will be thirsting for blood and they haven't even found out about Quentyn yet.

Having the Martells just around the corner would be useful especially with their known animosity with the Tyrells and the Reach. To kill a child prince is insane and this time Lannisters won't be able to get away with it.

Here's the quote I referred to:

Cersei III, A Feast For Crows

"The prince writes he cannot hope to calm the waters until he receives the justice promised to him."

"To be sure." A tiresome creature this prince. "His long wait is almost done. I am sending Balon Swann to Sunspear, to deliver him the head of Gregor Clegane." Ser Balon would have another task as well, but that part was best left unsaid.

I hope Cersei didn't really plan this. The Lannisters barely won WOT5Ks and the realm is in shambles. They have just replaced 2 old and powerful Great Houses. The Ironborn are attacking. Robert Arryn doesn't seem to be in the best shape. Also who is else Myrcella gonna marry, a Frey, Baelish, another Tyrell.

The Dornishmen are blood thirsty, 16 years later. Then Oberyn died in King's Landing. If another of their royals die, I doubt they are going to keep listening to Doran's talks of caution. His bannerman and citizens will be thirsting for blood and they haven't even found out about Quentyn yet.

Having the Martells just around the corner would be useful especially with their known animosity with the Tyrells and the Reach. To kill a child prince is insane and this time Lannisters won't be able to get away with it.

They didn't get away with it though because Doran heard of the plot beforehand.

Here's the quote I referred to:

Cersei III, A Feast For Crows

I remembered this too, and when you combine this with what Doran says and Balon's reaction, I think it's pretty clear the plot was real. I'm glad George covered it with Doran so we didn't have to hear a lot about it on Cersei's end too since it was a small plot.

It makes sense that Cersei would want Trystane dead because Tyrion is the one who brokered that marriage, and she was always furious about sending Myrcella to Dorne. Top that off with Myrcella being hurt severely while under the prince's protection, and I can see Cersei wanting some serious revenge - especially the way she was acting towards the end of AFfC.

I don't think there is any plan too stupid for Cersei.

It's obvious from Cersei's own thoughts that there is something going on. A part of me wonders, though, if Doran's source is playing him or exaggerating for their own ends, but then I have to admit I agree with the above post. And well, it deserves a 'like' as well. Having Trystane attacked and killed while idiots yell out "Halfman Halfman" does sound right up Cersei's alley. While I'm a bit suspicious that someone is also playing Doran with the exact details, it's hard not to just go with: No plan being too stupid for Cersei.

It's obvious from Cersei's own thoughts that there is something going on. A part of me wonders, though, if Doran's source is playing him or exaggerating for their own ends, but then I have to admit I agree with the above post. And well, it deserves a 'like' as well. Having Trystane attacked and killed while idiots yell out "Halfman Halfman" does sound right up Cersei's alley. While I'm a bit suspicious that someone is also playing Doran with the exact details, it's hard not to just go with: No plan being too stupid for Cersei.

Also at this point she was frequently drunk.

Also at this point she was frequently drunk.

Seven Hells, wouldn't it be kind of funny if Cersei herself forgets some of the details thanks to all the whine, er.....wine? Although, she'd have to hire the actual thugs to do the deed, but maybe she had a drunken toss up idea, an either/or for Balon and some bozos.

Archived