If two Lords Paramount married each other, what would happen to their respective "kingdoms"?

Panos Targaryen

For example, Arianne becomes overlord/lady of Dorne, and marries the lord of say, Winterfell. What would their children inherit? Would the Starks gain dominion of Dorne? Would Dorne pass to Arriane's brother? Would one of her children rule Dorne, the other the North? If this is what would happen, then could a single family end up ruling every one of the Seven Kingdoms? Lots of questions, I know, but with the Sansa/Tyrion situation I got curious as to whether two kingdoms/fiefdoms in Westeros could merge through marriage.

I think it differs from case to case, either a sibling takes one of the castles or there kids split the responibility. If Edmure died than Catelyn would have been heir, it this scenario I think Robb would take Winterfell and Bran takes Riverrun

I don't see that happening on purpose, but it might happen accidentaly. For example, Lord Paramount of X marries a daughter of the Lord Paramount of Y, and then, because of a few unforeseen deaths, she ends up inheriting. In that case, I imagine they would divide the titles amongst their children. Or perhaps they would skip the female heir married to the Lord Paramount and give the title outright to the next heir that is not next in line to the other Lord Paramount title. This is unlikely to happen with a female heir to a Prince of Dorne, since they practice absolute primogeniture.

This reminds me of something else. What if Arianne marries (f)Aegon and he becomes King?

The laws about who you make your heir do not seem to be that strict. If the LP's Stark and Tyrell marry each other then both houses would pass on to the next male(or in Dornes case oldest) family member. The female LP would choose a cousin,uncle,or second son to inherit and carry on the family name. If it was her son he would change his name. Would not be to much of a issue

It's a very unlikely scenario...

LF is LP of the Riverlands and he married Lysa who was LP of the Vale! If Willis Tyrell had married Sansa, it would have been the same.

The answer the OP, it would probably depend on the wishes of the husband, which child got what inheritance.

LF is LP of the Riverlands and he married Lysa who was LP of the Vale! If Willis Tyrell had married Sansa, it would have been the same.

The answer the OP, it would probably depend on the wishes of the husband, which child got what inheritance.

Lysa was not the LP of the Vale, she was Regent to the LP of the Vale. When the Tyrells were planning to marry Sansa to Willis, she wasn't the Lady Paramount of anything. Her brother was King in the North (or, from the Lannister's perspective, the Lord Paramount of the North who had become a traitor), and pretty much alive, healthy and capable of having children. Without the Red Wedding (and the supposed deaths of Bran and Rickon), the chances of her having a strong claim to Winterfell were slight. She's actually the perfect example of an "accidental" female heir.

The point I was trying to make was that, unlike in real life historical tradition, noble houses in Westeros do not accumulate titles through marriage and inheritance. If a new title is inherited or granted, it immediately passes to a cadet branch of the family. Case in point: Garlan Tyrell, Lord of Brightwater Keep. There is not a lot of incentive in marrying a reigning Lady Paramount with a reigning Lord Paramount or even the immediate heirs.

Not that unlikely, see the current situation of House Tully, had Edmure died in the war, either Cat's or Lysa's child will be the heir, and they're already Lords of the Winterfell or the Vale.

There's also Arianne ploting to visit and arrange a marriage with Willas Tyrell, had she succedded, their child will be Lord of Dorne and the Reach.

ETA: Or the Tyrell's plot to marry Willas to Sansa, making their child Lord of the North and the Reach (they think Bran and Rickon are dead, and Robb was a rebel)

Each one of the 2 oldest childs inherit one of the 'kingdom ' if they get only one child one of the kingdoms will go to a sibling.

I don't think a kingwould allow several kingdoms to emerge by this, too much danger for his throne...

Also this:

So you're not optimistic about LF's plans to wed Sansa Stark to Harry the Heir?

Would their child inherit the Eyrie or Winterfell? Its a tricky question. The first born son would likely want both for his first two sons, but his first son would want the same, so there is a major succession issue here.

It makes sense that they would split the kingdom between their heirs. Remember Doran planned to marry Arianne to Viserys, which would have put her on the Iron Throne ruling all of the kingdoms and the Crownlands and made Quentyn the prince/ruler of Dorne. Arianne wasn't going to have the Crownlands and Dorne.

With Tyrion and Sansa, Tywin never planned on Tyrion inheriting Casterly Rock and the Westerlands. He did not consider Tyrion his heir and only planned on Tyrion having the North through Sansa.

For the most part, it is difficult for two heirs to marry each other because girls only inherit if they have no brothers to be the heir and that doesn't seem to be a common occurrence.

I don't see that happening on purpose, but it might happen accidentaly. For example, Lord Paramount of X marries a daughter of the Lord Paramount of Y, and then, because of a few unforeseen deaths, she ends up inheriting. In that case, I imagine they would divide the titles amongst their children. Or perhaps they would skip the female heir married to the Lord Paramount and give the title outright to the next heir that is not next in line to the other Lord Paramount title. This is unlikely to happen with a female heir to a Prince of Dorne, since they practice absolute primogeniture.

This reminds me of something else. What if Arianne marries (f)Aegon and he becomes King?

Arriane becomes Queen, and Trystane becomes the Prince of Dorne

I suspect that the Crown would insist on different children being named as heirs, to prevent power from being consolidated. When vassals get too large they become quite dangerous to their overlords, as the Kings of France found with the Plantagenets.

Archived