"A... certain name..." (slightly crackpot)

Ser Leftwich

this wouldn't make much sense to the aforementioned reader untill it's revealed (f)Aegon lives, so I don't think that's it

I think many things don't really make sense until a re-read, then they're like easter eggs (or easter Aegons)

The second thing to keep in mind is that there is precisely one secret passage in Maegor's Holdfast (a passage so the king can escape the holdfast if necessary). From what the Wiki says about Maegor's Holdfast in tPatQ, that secret passage is in the king's chambers (I haven't yet read tPatQ). Elia and Aegon were attacked in the nursery and Rhaenys was killed in Rhaegar's bedchamber. So neither of these killings happened close to a secret passage for the first type of "little bird" to hear.

Do we know for sure that Aegon's nursery and Rhaegar's bedchamber were in Maegor's? It could be reserved for the Aerys and his household and the crown prince and his family might be accommodated elsewhere in the RK.

Do we know for sure that Aegon's nursery and Rhaegar's bedchamber were in Maegor's? It could be reserved for the Aerys and his household and the crown prince and his family might be accommodated elsewhere in the RK.

In his dream about the incident, Jaime thinks twice about them being in Maegor's. We know dreams can be wrong, but it makes sense for them to be in Maegor's during the sack because it is the most secure location inside the Red Keep.

Two other thoughts about the situation. Elia could have said Aegon just because Aegon was being ripped from her arms, it is hard to say why Varys is holding back the name. Also, the reason I try to distinguish which type of bird Varys gets his information from is because if it is the second type (paid informant) there may be someone who comes forward as a witness. If it is the first type (tongueless child), Varys can never reveal where he got that information.

I don't know that it has any relevance, but this reminds me of Dany's vision of Rhaegar's death. Where he says "a woman's name." So both Rhaegar and his wife give a name at the end that is not specified.

That parallel may actually be important. Per GRRM, the name Rhaegar whispered was Lyanna. Did Elia also utter the name of the one she loved? I'd bet then that the name was not Rhaegar.

That parallel may actually be important. Per GRRM, the name Rhaegar whispered was Lyanna. Did Elia also utter the name of the one she loved? I'd bet then that the name was not Rhaegar.

If it wasn't, we might never get it. After all, Elia's main virtue is being Rhaegar's faultless wife. Varys wouldn't want to spoil that. But I can totally see him having a good laugh over that in private.

Then again, it isn't that likely. Rhaegar whispered Lyanna's name in his last moments. Elia called out a name as she was being attacked. If one of the two was more likely to think of the person they loved, it would be Rhaegar. Elia's main priority would be to stay alive and keep her son alive. No time for romantics.

This could just be Varys maintaining character. If he's only vague when he wants people to misinterpret something, people would catch on quickly. Sometimes he might be vague about something that is in fact obvious and true, just to set the other half truths up.

Well why would she call out Aegon if a switch had taken place? I can't spot the motivation.

Imagine, Elia just reached the baby just before Clegane arrives. Elia recognizes that the baby is not hers. She is alarmed, the baby has been switched and so she calls out the name of her missing baby.

Archived