NFL - Divisional Round - Best week of the year

Howdyphillip

Eh, even the fake Onion style stuff can't match the hyperbole of Dan Shaughnessy.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/01/07/dan-shaughnessy-patriots-must-like-their-path/RpB9NbUrV6PNiu5F4bBqsM/story.html

I had no dog in this fight until reading this article. Now I'm hoping the Pats fall flat on their faces just to see the follow up to this column.

I was already going to root for the Pats because of draft position, but now I am staunchly rooting for them.

Why?

He called the Colts tomato cans, one of my favorite insults!

I was already going to root for the Pats because of draft position, but now I am staunchly rooting for them.

Why?

He called the Colts tomato cans, one of my favorite insults!

Tomato Can is solid, but I'm not sure the Colts fit the bill, considering who they have beat this year. Those are some tasty tomatoes.

Tomato Can is solid, but I'm not sure the Colts fit the bill, considering who they have beat this year. Those are some tasty tomatoes.

Oh, I don't think the Colts are cans at all, any team with a QB like Luck isn't canny. I just think calling them that is hilarious.

I'm not meaning to blame the fans or the team for Shaugnessy's asshattery, I just want to see a follow-up to that tripe after a Pats loss. The schadenfraude would be absolutely to die for.

He's basically already got his crowning moment for that in baseball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWOQLIZGW8Y

It was indeed something to die for.

He's basically already got his crowning moment for that in baseball: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWOQLIZGW8Y

It was indeed something to die for.

He also started planning the victory parade when the Bruins went up 2-1 on the Blackhawks in June. A week later, he wrote a column about the shocking end to the SC Final with no acknowledgement of the previous column. Shaughnessy is a clown.

But thanks, Mack, for the video link featuring Heidi Watney. I miss seeing her on game broadcasts.

So the Bill Simmons on the ESPN is the same one that runs Grantland.com, right? Because the dude discussing the Miami Heat game was not what I pictured from reading the site. He seemed almost... reasonable, and he was fairly well-groomed.

The website made me picture a fat monstrosity that raged in the dark about Rob Gronkowski's dad.

Colts' defensive backs v. Patriots' receiver. The classic battle between the stoppable force and the moveable object. It's going to be epic.

Btw, what are the odds that Robert Mathis is doping? In baseball, a player having his by far best statistical year at the age of 32 would raise a few eyebrows. But in football he might have benefited from a change in position and scheme.

If Robert Mathis is doping, he needs to be a team player and share his methods with the rest of the defense. I think it's more a product of scheme, and he's improved every year in the league, but I would not be surprised if he uses some PEDs. Peyton Manning left the country for stem cell therapy, you do what you gotta do to win.

ETA: One of the funniest things I've ever seen. Madden Greg Jennings scores 99 yard TD on a broken leg.

So the Bill Simmons on the ESPN is the same one that runs Grantland.com, right? Because the dude discussing the Miami Heat game was not what I pictured from reading the site. He seemed almost... reasonable, and he was fairly well-groomed.

The website made me picture a fat monstrosity that raged in the dark about Rob Gronkowski's dad.

Yeah, that's him. The rule of thumb with Simmons is that he knows his stuff about basketball, has a fairly deep understanding and interest in pop culture*, and can provide an interesting take on sports that neither he nor most of the general public have much understanding of (for example, he was in London covering the Olympics and wrote some really interesting columns). But for football, hockey, soccer, and baseball, he knows just about as much as a talk radio caller; which, fortunately at least, he freely admits. When he says at the top of his football columns that you should probably do the opposite of what he suggests for gambling purposes, that's not really a joke.

*Not like Chuck Klosterman or someone like that, but the upside is he's friends with a lot of those people and always willing to have them on his podcast.

If Robert Mathis is doping, he needs to be a team player and share his methods with the rest of the defense. I think it's more a product of scheme, and he's improved every year in the league, but I would not be surprised if he uses some PEDs. Peyton Manning left the country for stem cell therapy, you do what you gotta do to win.

ETA: One of the funniest things I've ever seen. Madden Greg Jennings scores 99 yard TD on a broken leg.

At the very least, if his improved performance this year comes from doping, then it's pretty impressive that he wasn't doping for the past 10.

You are dead to me.

I actually just decided that I'm rooting for the Saints, because fuck the Seahawks. I like Russell Wilson, I think he's really good, but I won't be able to stomach the internet people turning him into Jesus 'Fucking' Christ if he wins the NFC Championship (or god forbid, the Superbowl). It's for your own good, Russell, lose!

I also decided that I'm rooting for the Panthers as well. Because Cam Newton has lowered himself on my hate list, while Colin Kaepernick continues to rise.

I actually just decided that I'm rooting for the Saints, because fuck the Seahawks. I like Russell Wilson, I think he's really good, but I won't be able to stomach the internet people turning him into Jesus 'Fucking' Christ if he wins the NFC Championship (or god forbid, the Superbowl). It's for your own good, Russell, lose!

Tread lightly, Pony Queen. You're not making any friends with that attitude!

Archived