NFL - Divisional Round - Best week of the year

Howdyphillip

http://www.fsta.org/industry_demographics

I wanted to just see what the numbers of people playing Fantasy Football after Sperry's last post in the last thread. It is amazing. Over 33 million people actually play. That is a heavy dent in the number of people who watch games.

I don't play FF. Anyone else on the board? Or do you guys (and girls) all play fantasy football?

To Sperry's point about RBs and the Hall of Fame, I'd have a problem with anyone but AP and LdT making it over the next several years. The RB position is nowhere near as prominent as it once and I hope the Hall proves extra discerning. If baseball's hall of fame is too restrictive, football's seems too loose to me. It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Very Good. Case and point I felt the last RB admitted, Curtis Martin, was a mistake. He was good RB but he wasn't special. He was the classic compiler...like a poor man's Emmitt Smith without the career highlights. I've never said "holy fuck, I'm watching Curtis Martin play".

Contrast that to AP and LdT who are/were clearly special. They each offered a skillset that simply wasn't out there otherwise over an extended period of time. Marshall Faulk was special. Their career peaks were too short but Terrell Davis and Priest Holmes were also special. Curtis Martin? Frank Gore? Clinton Portis? Good, but not special. Edgerrin James coulda been special if he didn't suffer that knee injury after his third year in which sapped him of his speed. Afterwards his primary value was as a rock solid compiler. Compilers aren't difference makers in today's game and shouldn't make the Hall.

And outside of AP, the only current RB I think is that level of special is Jamaal Charles with his Jim Brownesque YPC. And maybe LeSean McCoy if he can put up 3-4 more years like this one which I wouldn't bet on but at least Chip Kelly's offense gives him an outside shot. But that's it and both are longshots IMO. Especially if you gotta reach 10,000 yards to receive serious consideration. You got a set of durable backs and you got a much smaller set of backs who possess the gamebreaking ability to be special and only a few every decade that combine those skillsets. And I'm completely fine restricting entry to the Hall to those select few.

I play, but I was a huge fan of the NFL years before I ever played. Don't get me wrong, I love FF, but I'd be a huge football fan without FF.

Hmm... May be I should play next year. I think I tried one of the board leagues, may be a pick'em one, a few years back. Did well for the first few weeks. Then started missing picking teams and that was the end of it.

Hmm... May be I should play next year. I think I tried one of the board leagues, may be a pick'em one, a few years back. Did well for the first few weeks. Then started missing picking teams and that was the end of it.

I set up a Yahoo Pick' em league here the two seasons before last, but neglected to do so this season. I'll have to remember to start a thread next season.

I set up a Yahoo Pick' em league here the two seasons before last, but neglected to do so this season. I'll have to remember to start a thread next season.

Yep, that's the one I played, I'm pretty sure.Remind me and I will play next season. :cheers:

Greets all,

Just heard about Goddell's interest in expanding the playoffs (as if a Packer loss wasn't bad enough?! Ha). Sorry if ya'lls' discussed the expanded playoffs already. Terrible idea!! If you compare the NFL to other pro sports leagues, it already is just where it should be in terms of total teams v teams that make playoffs. Any more makes the regular season less meaningful.

Didn't we just go through total BS about re-seeding the playoffs? Uff. And there's Goddell saying .... "all that excitement in the final week? We want to incease that." Umm, dude... the reason it's exciting is because it matters. Long live divisions, the rivalries, and the reason the regular season matters.

PS. good name for the thread Howdyphillip... 12 hours of playoff football, yes sir

Every rumor this morning seems to be about Jay Gruden being close to becoming the next Head Coach of the Skins. I hope this is true, not cause I think he's a bad coach but because I love the idea of Hue Jackson taking over for him.

Apparently Josh McDaniels has decided that Cleveland is beneath him.

On the one hand, I'm sure the Cleveland fan is happy they don't get McDaniels. On the other hand, you just got turned down by Josh McDaniels... That's like getting ready for the prom and the pimply faced trenchcoat kid tells you he's not interested. Sure, you don't want to go with him anyway, but who does he think he is?

Apparently Josh McDaniels has decided that Cleveland is beneath him.

On the one hand, I'm sure the Cleveland fan is happy they don't get McDaniels. On the other hand, you just got turned down by Josh McDaniels... That's like getting ready for the prom and the pimply faced trenchcoat kid tells you he's not interested. Sure, you don't want to go with him anyway, but who does he think he is?

Cleveland beat writers are saying that McDaniels was told he wasn't a front runner which is why he removed his name from consideration. I think Schefter is saying that's not true. I don't know what's true anymore.

ETA: And it's official. According to Jay Glazer, Jay Gruden has informed the Bengals that he has been hired by the Redskins. Excellent. Good luck!

Was just going to say that I received a push notification about Gruden.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. I like his brother as a commentator, but I've never quite understood the fascination with him as a coach. After that first year in Tampa, it was a steady spiral. Then Jay just seemed to linger on and never quite get called up to the big boy chair until now; and with him coaching under Marvin Lewis I really don't feel like I have a true idea of what his offensive identity is. Feels very much like a true unknown.

But hey... his brother got started under the old Al Davis; and he's getting his start under the new Al Davis! (Minus the old Al Davis' prior success.)

When I first saw the news, I thought it said Jon Gruden, and I was extremely surprised. Then I read it a bit more closely, and went 'ah, that makes more sense.'

It'll be interesting to see how he does. I like his brother as a commentator, but I've never quite understood the fascination with him as a coach. After that first year in Tampa, it was a steady spiral.

Jon Gruden has to be the most overrated coach in perhaps the history of the league. He inherited Tony Dungy's playoff team and lucked out in being able to play the Super Bowl against basically his old playbook. And when he built "his" Tampa team he proceeded to drive them into the gutter for the next decade.

I think there's a reason Gruden hasn't come back to coaching and it's not because he enjoys his MNF gig too much.

Jon Gruden has to be the most overrated coach in perhaps the history of the league. He inherited Tony Dungy's playoff team and lucked out in being able to play the Super Bowl against basically his old playbook. And when he built "his" Tampa team he proceeded to drive them into the gutter for the next decade.

Of course, Dungy was never able to get that team to the Super Bowl, so whether he lucked into the matchup with the Raiders was mostly irrelevant. Tampa was lucky that it was a down year for the AFC during a period of AFC dominance. But Gruden deserved his ring, I don't think Dungy was going to get that team over the top.

Of course, Dungy was never able to get that team to the Super Bowl, so whether he lucked into the matchup with the Raiders was mostly irrelevant. Tampa was lucky that it was a down year for the AFC during a period of AFC dominance. But Gruden deserved his ring, I don't think Dungy was going to get that team over the top.

Exactly this. Timing and situation matter. Its the same thing when other Kentucky fans say "Tubby won with Pitino's team" but my argument is always that Pitino wouldn't have won with that team in '98. From there, things did not go well... but he was the right guy at the right time. That's exactly how I feel about Gruden.

Was just going to say that I received a push notification about Gruden.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. I like his brother as a commentator, but I've never quite understood the fascination with him as a coach. After that first year in Tampa, it was a steady spiral. Then Jay just seemed to linger on and never quite get called up to the big boy chair until now; and with him coaching under Marvin Lewis I really don't feel like I have a true idea of what his offensive identity is. Feels very much like a true unknown.

I think among Cinci fans, he gets a bad rap. Mostly, fans are annoyed when he moves away from the run and goes into Arena Football throw every down mode. It happens when we're behind and it's later in the game, even if the run is working and we're only down 1 score. This pisses off Bengals' fans after the fact who think they can do a better job.

That being said, he has also did three very impressive things in my opinion.

1. Got Andy Dalton ready with no offseason, a rookie WR and his first season as an OC in the NFL and got to the playoffs
  2. Bengals were 3rd in the league in offensive TDs scored (behind Philly/Den) and that's with Andy Dalton
  3. Bengals were 2nd in the league in RZ TD % at 75%, a few percentage points behind Denver.

The fans might want us to be better than we are, but they fail to realize how good we were in the first place and how limited our QB is. I will say, that the #1 thing that annoyed me about Gruden was turning Dalton into a gunslinger like Favre instead of a game manager like Smith, which is more what the Bengals need at this point.

I am mostly indifferent about the Jay Gruden hiring. I don't know how good he'll be, hiring coordinators you never know. I am a little concerned about rumors that this whole string of interviews was just a big waste of time and that the Redskins were sure Gruden was their guy from the start. That kind of "we already know who we want, we just need to make it happen" thinking has been causing problems for decades.

But that's neither here nor there. I wish him luck. We have a good bit of cap space this year to resign the guys we need on defense (Riley, Orakpo, DHall) and get some more guys to play special teams and hopefully upgrade the ILB and safety positions. Hopefully we can do this without horribly overpaying anyone.

Archived