NFL - Divisional Round - Best week of the year

Howdyphillip

It's not impossible - but you need more data.

Peyton Manning is making a case for greatest ever because no QB has ever done what he's looking to do - win two superbowls with two different teams. But that's the sort of data you need - you need to literally separate out that player and put them on another team and see how they do. This is one of the biggest reasons that we think so fondly of Brady and Belichick - because offensive players that go from the Pats to another team after lookign like superstars end up failing or being utterly mediocre.

It's not impossible - but you need more data.

Peyton Manning is making a case for greatest ever because no QB has ever done what he's looking to do - win two superbowls with two different teams. But that's the sort of data you need - you need to literally separate out that player and put them on another team and see how they do. This is one of the biggest reasons that we think so fondly of Brady and Belichick - because offensive players that go from the Pats to another team after lookign like superstars end up failing or being utterly mediocre.

Good point.

Quick question, who are the offensive players you are thinking of other than Branch? Moss was already pretty bad by the time the Pats let him go. Wleker has been more or less the same, just missed a few games because of injury.

Here's an example of how a great QB can elevate an average player to superstar level. Brett Favre made Sidney Rice look like a legit game breaking number 1 WR in Minnesota during his incredible 2009 season. He got paid like a superstar by the Seahawks. He has been pretty bad ever since. Injury has had something to do with that. But he was pedestrian last season when he was healthy enough to play all 16 games. He owes Brett Favre a few million dollars.

Also come to think of it, Branch was also signed by the Seahawks (different regime, I know)!

because offensive players that go from the Pats to another team after lookign like superstars end up failing or being utterly mediocre.

And so do many of their coaches.

I mean, in the aggregate, how much money do you think Brady has made for otherwise mediocre coaches? Weiss, Mangini, McDaniels, RAC, etc? In that group you have 3 head coaches and Weiss went to coach in college- all had terrible records after leaving NE.

I think the Brady-Belichick relationship is one that epitomises the phrase: the final product is greater than the sum of its parts."

As far as Brady if he were to leave the Pats- I think for any QB to find success later in their career they would need to fall into a situation like Manning wherein you had almost the entire team already put in place (recall: Broncos had gone to the Divisional round of the playoffs the year before Manning arrived, IN SPITE of having Tim Tebow at QB). And that once that QB arrived, more great stars were added (ie: Welker). Manning's success in that system is way above the curve, but still I think that's really the only way to get that type of performance. In other words, had you put MAnning on the 2013 Patriots then killed Gronk, he isn't throwing 55 TDs.

Looks like Grantland did another of their Worst Sports Columns in America

God damn it Jaime, I thought you were actually linking to a #HotSportsTake, and now I have unwittingly violated my principle to contribute no more clicks to Skip Bayless or Rick Reilly. I feel like I've been Poe-Rolled or something.

God damn it Jaime, I thought you were actually linking to a #HotSportsTake, and now I have unwittingly violated my principle to contribute no more clicks to Skip Bayless or Rick Reilly. I feel like I've been Poe-Rolled or something.

God damn it man, I can't believe I started reading that without looking at who wrote it. Thankfully 'pro bowl game manager' snapped me out of it, and I checked. Why JaimeL why?

Did you mean to link to a Grantland article instead of Skip Bayless? Because seriously, that sort of thing is worth 2 warning points at least.

Guys are you sure this isn't Grantland? I can't imagine an actual sports columnist writing this:

At his best, Luck has turned into more of a Pro Bowl game manager. At his best -- and worst -- he's actually more Eli than Peyton.

Pretty sure Andrew Sharp has just gotten better at trolling the legion of FB commenters who think it's real each time. Well you didn't get me today, Sharp!

Guys are you sure this isn't Grantland? I can't imagine an actual sports columnist writing this:

Pretty sure Andrew Sharp has just gotten better at trolling the legion of FB commenters who think it's real each time. Well you didn't get me today, Sharp!

Skip Bayless is just a much better version of Andrew Sharp. Sharp is just a more ham-handed and less subtle version of Skip. Bayless doesn't believe any of the crap he writes. He does it to get people riled up.

Eh, even the fake Onion style stuff can't match the hyperbole of Dan Shaughnessy.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/01/07/dan-shaughnessy-patriots-must-like-their-path/RpB9NbUrV6PNiu5F4bBqsM/story.html

I had no dog in this fight until reading this article. Now I'm hoping the Pats fall flat on their faces just to see the follow up to this column.

Skip Bayless is just a much better version of Andrew Sharp. Sharp is just a more ham-handed and less subtle version of Skip. Bayless doesn't believe any of the crap he writes. He does it to get people riled up.

Give Andrew Sharp time. He's only been doing this for a few years, and he wastes time writing "normal" articles, too. Skip been trolling and doing nothing but trolling for his entire career.

Eh, even the fake Onion style stuff can't match the hyperbole of Dan Shaughnessy.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/01/07/dan-shaughnessy-patriots-must-like-their-path/RpB9NbUrV6PNiu5F4bBqsM/story.html

I had no dog in this fight until reading this article. Now I'm hoping the Pats fall flat on their faces just to see the follow up to this column.

Psst... a lot of us chowds think Shaugnessy is a tool too.

Archived