WWE Network

Dave Meltzer is reporting "The Icon" Sting has signed with WWE on a legends contract. I'm trying to verify it and if it is true, I am going to start the most widespread yes chant the world has ever known...

FWIW. Steve Borden's son is a tight end on the Kentucky football team.

I kept hoping to see Sting show up in some sort of blue face paint... but alas, it was never to be. :lol:

ETA: I wonder what his ring persona would be if he returns? The Crow schtick really wouldn't play today I don't think, nor would the quasi-Ultimate Warrior.

double post, sorry. A more detailed report from a better source

Source: PWInsider Elite

PWInsider has confirmed reports that negotiations are ongoing between Sting and WWE. Word is that a decision must be made within the next 2 weeks on whether or not Sting is going to join the company.

Several factors are being worked out right now including scheduling and what Sting is and isn't willing to do creatively. This does not mean Sting is definitely coming to WWE and he could very well work another year with TNA but the impression has been given that Sting realizes if he's going to have a run with WWE, this is the time.

The impression was also given, within WWE, that there will not be a match against The Undertaker, at least at this year's WrestleMania event. However, the idea of Sting debuting at WrestleMania XXX with some kind of cameo or vignette has been discussed.

There's also a feeling that Sting is the face of WCW and with WWE promoting a lot of WCW content on the Network, he could be an asset there. Sting is considered a fresh, unique face when they are used to using people like Ric Flair and Diamond Dallas Page to promote their WCW projects.

While it was believed on Monday that no deal had been signed yet, RF Video's Rob Feinstein noted on Facebook this morning that he heard Sting signed a deal with WWE in the last 24 hours, for what it's worth.

If true I think he spends a year or so in he ring before joining the HoF next year. Sting is a headliner for that type of thing and with the Warrior going in this year, I don't see how both of them do it.

That's not to say I think it's a good idea for him to wrestle. I've maybe seen one match of his in TNA and, well, he looked like a 50 year old wrestler.

I'll never forget the Triple Threat that never was.

1999 Survivor Series - HHH vs. Stone Cold vs. The Rock for the World Title.

Stone Cold's neck and back were on the verge of ruin and at the last minute they pulled him from the match, replacing him with Big Show and creating a ridiculously stupid Who Ran Over Steve Austin in the Parking Lot? gimmick.

It's a shame that match was never re-booked later on.

If true I think he spends a year or so in he ring before joining the HoF next year. Sting is a headliner for that type of thing and with the Warrior going in this year, I don't see how both of them do it.

That's not to say I think it's a good idea for him to wrestle. I've maybe seen one match of his in TNA and, well, he looked like a 50 year old wrestler.

To be fair, WWE would use him more wisely than TNA. People have long been saying that Sting should be working an Undertaker schedule, and I think if he did that he'd be able to get in shape and rested up enough to manage one or two good matches a year. Considering his age I don't blame him if he just wants to retire, but it'd be a big draw for him and WWE to do a few big name matches. Flair was still doing it at that age and still managed to have a good match with Shawn Michaels, so I think it can be done.

Looks like CM Punk has had enough and walked out of the company after yet another part-timer was handed the Mania main event

Word has come out that CM Punk has left WWE, according to sources for the Wrestling Observer and PWInsider.

After being re-written out of the script for Raw, Punk reportedly told Vince McMahon he was going home and that he wasn't coming back. The company responded by pulling him from all of his scheduled WWE dates going forward.

You know, I like Punk but he also often comes across like a huge spoiled baby if he doesn't get his way.

conversations during matches

LOL Triple H: "I know. I fucked up."

I never get tired of, "I'm from Winnipeg, you idiot!"

Too bad. I like CM punk. He's one of the few wrestlers today I can honestly say that about.

So big loss for the WWE. I'm sure 75 year old Stung will make it all better.

He was actually good at his job (punk), which is more than can be said about guys like Batista, Orton, and Cena. Sadface.

I don't blame Punk at all.

The WWE (and TNA for that matter) have been desperately clinging to the over-used and washed up superstars of the past and completely unwilling to embrace the superstars of the future.

CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and Dolph Ziggler should be running the WWE. Instead, we get a fucking artificial superstar in Batista (He was never good enough to get even ONE World Title run) returning to steal the momentum away from everyone in the company.

Triple H and Vince McMahon are shitting all over the 3 most over guys in the company out of pure spite seemingly, when you would think that they would embrace them.

15 years ago when people were chanting for Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH, Undertaker, and Mick Foley, what did the WWE do? They designed high profile story lines and matches out of the love for those characters.

Fast-forward to today, and that same kind of fandom is seeping back into the product and everyone is cheering for CM Punk, Dolph Ziggler, and Daniel Bryan, and what does WWE do? They bury them.

What has changed?

Competition, most notably. Back in the days of Stone Cold, The Rock, Foley, etc, you had the WCW tight on the WWE's heels for TV ratings and talent. They had to cater to fandom to some degree. Now, not so much.

Nitro was beating Raw unil Austin/Mcmahon.

I was at that Raw.

Overall absolutely right. No real competiton so we are kind of back the early '90s which overall

blew.

If Punk is really bailing, I wonder how WWE is going to handle his scheduled appearance at Wrestlemania Axxess (the fan meet and greet). They'd probably have to either replace him with a name just as big or bigger than him.

On another note, it's a pain in the ass trying to figure out if you can go to each Axxess event with one ticket or if you pay by the day. I also don't know if VIP tickets cover each day, if general tickets do only cover one day. And that sucks because if I have to pick which VIP I meet, I won't get to meet everyone.

I hope Punk is just injured this week or something. It'd really suck for him to miss Wrestlemania. Especially with all the old stars coming back. I get Punk's supposed gripe with those guys stealing the spotlight, but I think as long as people like Brock are only doing a couple pay per views a year that it can actually draw in more fans to see the young guys in the first place. I really don't think Punk has much to complain about anyway. Within the last year he's been in matches with The Rock, Undertaker, Lesnar, and the two biggest factions to be in the company in years. I mean he's had the longest world title reign in over a decade. I just don't see what he really has to be angry about compared to someone like Dolph Ziggler.

CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and Dolph Ziggler should be running the WWE. Instead, we get a fucking artificial superstar in Batista (He was never good enough to get even ONE World Title run) returning to steal the momentum away from everyone in the company.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you said but Batista actually was world champ six times in his first run. Doesn't really excuse them putting all their eggs in his easily-gassed basket for this Mania, especially after what a cold return reception he had and how easily the crowd turned on him.

Reports are that they had to actually scrap plans for Raw on Monday because of the unexpected Rumble reaction and go for damage control to make Bryan's Rumble burial seem like part of the storyline rather than what it was: Triple H's buddy getting handed a win, probably as part of a contract stipulation. And the facts really seem to side with that theory; I mean the New Age Outlaws win the tag titles, Batista wins the Rumble and Kevin Nash gets a spot otherwise reserved for a guy on the actual roster. All buddies of the guy who is now the head booker. Unless the Authority storyline is about to pick up big time, none of those make sense from a standpoint of where the company had been headed.

It's looking more and more like Triple H took too many lessons in booking from Nash, who's ego-drive booking decisions helped drive WCW into the gutter 15 years ago.

Archived