NFL 2013 (Divisional Round) or defending Peyton's Place

Howdyphillip

People inside NY really don't think those late 00's Jets were all that good. Because they really weren't all that good.

Exactly. I mean, yes, the defense was good, but they weren't out of this world or anything, and their success was only for a few years.

I dunno, do you really think that ten years from now anybody outside of New York is going to be talking about how good those late '00 Jets were? I really don't think so.

Well, no. But, why would anyone else? No one talks much about things that teams they don't root for did, except for winning super bowls or being a particularly large disappointment or incredibly bad. Everyone primarily remembers the things their own teams did. I won't be forgetting the '09/'10 Jets anytime soon (moreso the '10 version); they are pretty much the only time I was rooting for a semi-elite NFL team.

Well, no. But, why would anyone else? No one talks much about things that teams they don't root for did, except for winning super bowls or being a particularly large disappointment or incredibly bad. Everyone primarily remembers the things their own teams did. I won't be forgetting the '09/'10 Jets anytime soon (moreso the '10 version); they are pretty much the only time I was rooting for a semi-elite NFL team.

I won't forget the '09 Jets either...

Right, but the Buddy Ryan Eagles defense, and the Coryell Chargers offense, really were that good.

And those coaches are remembered for their excellence and innovation. But not their teams. I honest to god couldn't have told you that Coryell coached the Chargers until you said that. Who he coached made no particular difference because they did not win the Super Bowl, even though his strategies revolutionized the NFL.

For anyone under 40, Dan Fouts is only remembered because he's still on TV, otherwise he's just a slightly more talented Vinny Testaverde.

Wow, you're lucky Bronn's not been active recently. He'd drown you in a cask of wine for saying this.

But, no, among knowledge sports fans Dan Fouts is a legend. The people who think he's a slightly more talented Vinny Testaverde also think Eli Manning is better than Peyton Manning because of Superbowls.

Still what I'm pointing to is that even among knowledgeable sports fans, there's the taste a season leaves in your mouth. I think it's a human nature thing. It's easier to feel like your season is a success if you go out in the playoffs as opposed to getting so close to the ultimate prize and coming up short. Making the Superbowl should always feel like a more successful season but I'm not convinced it does. Maybe we should ask 49ers fans - Did 2012 feel more successful than 2011? Or is it harder in a way because you got so close but couldn't bring it home?

But, no, among knowledge sports fans Dan Fouts is a legend. The people who think he's a slightly more talented Vinny Testaverde also think Eli Manning is better than Peyton Manning because of Superbowls.

So much this. And those who don't know those Charger's teams are ignoring history. This was a loaded offense. Charlie Joiner, Chuck Muncie, Kellen Winslow and to a lesser extent John Jefferson and Wes Chandler. One of the alltime great offenses in the history of the league.

Aaron Rodgers is a Game of Thrones nerd who likes to photobomb teammates.

Aaron Rodgers is a fan? When was this revealed?

Yeah there really isn't much to Wilson except what he does on and near the field. Give it time, though, it's only his second year. I'm sure we'll see some of his quirks as well.

And you missed Philip Rivers on your list. I swear that guy is Jon Gruden's long lost son, and his sound FX is a hilarious mixture of 'golly' and 'heck'. The guy never swears haha

You clearly never saw Rivers vs Cutler. And Rivers curses all the goddamn time. Like when he runs the playclock to 0 once a game and throws a fit when the center can't snap the ball at the .000005 mark.

Newton's numbers were pretty much the same, the difference was the rest of the team.

Newton seemed generally less douchey all around. That commercial with the kid was gold.

I won't forget the '09 Jets either...

I don't mean to be mean, but that was one of the funniest things I ever saw when Marvin Lewis said they weren't gonna let the Jets in the playoffs in week 17, then the Jets beat the dogshit out of them and Marvin said 'oh, we weren't really trying'.

Paraphrasing a lot.

ETA; I gots a question. I feel like teams that don't have a whole lot of owner interference seem to do better long-term. For example, Jim Irsay doesn't do much past drunken rants, and I feel like Robert Kraft just sits in his box and gloats.

Compared to guys like Snyder and Jones who ruin their teams.

Is that an accurate assessment? Does Kraft have a heavy hand? I know he likes to get to know all of his players on a personal basis, but I understand that he leaves the running of the team to Bill Belichick.

Wow, you're lucky Bronn's not been active recently. He'd drown you in a cask of wine for saying this.

Still what I'm pointing to is that even among knowledgeable sports fans, there's the taste a season leaves in your mouth. I think it's a human nature thing. It's easier to feel like your season is a success if you go out in the playoffs as opposed to getting so close to the ultimate prize and coming up short. Making the Superbowl should always feel like a more successful season but I'm not convinced it does. Maybe we should ask 49ers fans - Did 2012 feel more successful than 2011? Or is it harder in a way because you got so close but couldn't bring it home?

A legend of what? I mean, he's in the hall of fame, so of course he's pretty good. I guess the Vinny Testaverde shot is a little undeserved, but to me, Dan Fouts is in the very small group of hall of fame quarterbacks that never made a Super Bowl. The only other one I can think of is Warren Moon. I'm not old enough to have ever seen Fouts play live, and since he never made the Super Bowl, the only thing I remember him as is a sportscaster. If he didn't have that, he'd be "a hall of fame quarterback who played for the Chargers", which is essentially nothing more than a historical footnote.

So much this. And those who don't know those Charger's teams are ignoring history. This was a loaded offense. Charlie Joiner, Chuck Muncie, Kellen Winslow and to a lesser extent John Jefferson and Wes Chandler. One of the alltime great offenses in the history of the league.

I know that Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner and Kellen Winslow were very good players and that they played for the Chargers in the 80s. I guess if that is the metric for "remembered" then they pass.

Hell, what about the '98 Minnesota Vikings? I think every knowledgeable sports fan understands both (1) how unbelievably awesome that offense was, (2) how soft that defense was, and (3) how we just barely missed out on a Super Bowl matchup for the ages.

This is another good example. What is it we are supposed to know about them? That young Randy Moss was awesome, but they somehow managed to lose to an overachieving but not terribly good Falcons team? I mean, I know that, but I don't exactly consider it essential football knowledge.

You clearly never saw Rivers vs Cutler. And Rivers curses all the goddamn time. Like when he runs the playclock to 0 once a game and throws a fit when the center can't snap the ball at the .000005 mark.

When was this? Rivers might trash talk a lot, and throw the odd tantrum, but he keeps it clean. I thought it was well known that the guy takes pride in not cursing (which is very weird of course).

When was this? Rivers might trash talk a lot, and throw the odd tantrum, but he keeps it clean. I thought it was well known that the guy takes pride in not cursing (which is very weird of course).

I could be misremembering, but I think he called Jay Cutler a 'faggot'. It was in 2007 (or maybe '06) when Jay was on the Broncos. That was good TV.

No. He takes pride in being a complete douchehat.

ETA; I gots a question. I feel like teams that don't have a whole lot of owner interference seem to do better long-term. For example, Jim Irsay doesn't do much past drunken rants, and I feel like Robert Kraft just sits in his box and gloats.

Compared to guys like Snyder and Jones who ruin their teams.

Is that an accurate assessment? Does Kraft have a heavy hand? I know he likes to get to know all of his players on a personal basis, but I understand that he leaves the running of the team to Bill Belichick.

Owner interference is rarely a good thing. The best owners stay out of the news, and write the checks. Impatience, penny pinching, fanboyism, and tolerance for fools are the enemies of good ownership.

I would also strongly disagree with placing Jim Irsay in the "good owner" category. The Colts had Peyton Manning for fourteen years, and they won 1 Super Bowl! It's pretty disgraceful. If we were picking the best/most stable ownership groups, I would take the Packers, Steelers, Patriots, Niners, and Giants, more or less in that order.

A legend of what? I mean, he's in the hall of fame, so of course he's pretty good. I guess the Vinny Testaverde shot is a little undeserved, but to me, Dan Fouts is in the very small group of hall of fame quarterbacks that never made a Super Bowl. The only other one I can think of is Warren Moon. I'm not old enough to have ever seen Fouts play live, and since he never made the Super Bowl, the only thing I remember him as is a sportscaster. If he didn't have that, he'd be "a hall of fame quarterback who played for the Chargers", which is essentially nothing more than a historical footnote.

I know that Dan Fouts, Charlie Joiner and Kellen Winslow were very good players and that they played for the Chargers in the 80s. I guess if that is the metric for "remembered" then they pass.

This is another good example. What is it we are supposed to know about them? That young Randy Moss was awesome, but they somehow managed to lose to an overachieving but not terribly good Falcons team? I mean, I know that, but I don't exactly consider it essential football knowledge.

Not "essential football knowledge", just knowing or recognizing the history of the league, I'd say. I think those Coryell Chargers teams get passed over to some degree because thay played in an era of dominant defenses. You had the Steel Curtain in it's heyday, The Raiders defenses of that time were nasty, The Orange Crush in Denver, etc, etc. Just a fuckton of dominating defenses playing at that time.

Don't really get the Kaep hate. I'm a Niners fan, obviously, so I can't be truly objective, but outside of the superficial (the tats and the bicep kissing) what has he done that's so doucheworthy? He's not a good interview, but I don't think that's a sure sign of douchedom so much as it is a sign that his HC has him on a short leash mediawise.

I'm with you. Cherry picking images off an Instagram account is hardly a fair or complete depiction of a person's character.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/here-s-why-that--colin-kaepernick-is-self-centered-and-russell-wilson-is-not--comparison-is-totally-off-base-182213225.html

Aaron Rodgers is a fan? When was this revealed?

He posts on twitter about it when the series is airing. Most famously, for some reason a bunch of people got mad at him for posting about the Red Wedding, the day _after_ that episode aired; saying he spoiled it.

Archived