NFL 2013 (Divisional Round) or defending Peyton's Place

Howdyphillip

Watt & Clowney would be the most terrifying pass rush in the league, I'd still rather have Andrew Luck than the two of them together. I haven't seen any of the top QB prospects play, besides Manziel, but I'd rather a potentially good QB than a potentially elite pads rusher.

I agree that the QB position is a more vital position. What I disagree with is that a good QB is better than an elite pass rusher. Nobody coming out in the draft this year has an RGIII or Andrew Luck upside. Clowney may be the best pass rushing prospect of this decade.

I thought so too, but I'm sure there was betrayal felt.

Absolutely there was betrayal felt. Isn't this the most punchable face you've ever seen?! I thought it was outrageous to ask us to buy that this guy would be able to sleep with characters played by Allison Brie and Alexis Bledel. What, standards were only invented after the 60's? But apparently Mad Men is a freaking documentary because now he's marrying the latter.

Anyway there's too much water under the bridge to ditch her now for making a terrible, terrible mistake. I've been through 4 Redskins head coaches and one playoff win with her as my avatar and with that kind of clear good luck charm, you don't change things up.

Anyway there's too much water under the bridge to ditch her now for making a terrible, terrible mistake. I've been through 4 Redskins head coaches and one playoff win with her as my avatar and with that kind of clear good luck charm, you don't change things up.

At least you got a playoff win...

Poor wording. I knew the Bengals did it for a while, but I thought Peyton and Moore made it what it is today. I hadn't seen the Pats going all in on it until last year.

It's been an evolutionary improvement rather than a sudden, dramatic shift.

Wyche/Esiason were the first to use it as an offensive weapon rather than forced into it when behind. Marv Levy was on the competition committee, and complained loudly about it before implementing it with Jim Kelly at the helm. Moore/Manning added their own wrinkles to it, but it wasn't the dramatic reinvention a lot of the media describe it as. It's more sophisticated than the previous incarnations, but the fundamentals are the same: force the defense to simplify, and exploit the mismatches. Brady/Belichick (and now Chip Kelly) added the aggressive pacing to really force the defense onto its heels.

Looks like Norv Turner is going to end up the OC of the Vikings for Zimmer. I think this is perfect hire for Zimmer as an experienced offensive coach was exactly what he needed. Despite the failure of Turner's last two years, I still think he's an excellent coach and will be good for Zimmer and the Vikings if given the chance to build an offense.

hrmm Kiper has Johnny Football going #1 to Houston

http://youtu.be/KHCkGm6nues

5. Oakland: Sammy Watkins

4. Cleveland: Blake Bortles

3. Jacksonville: Jadaveon Clowney

2. St. Louis: Jake Matthews

1. Houston: Johnny Manziel

As a Texan fan I say why not, it would be interesting if nothing else.

If he can stay upright that is.

i think someones trying to get too clever. its one thing to have houston take manziel. teams make mistakes. but to assume jacksonville oakland and tampa will pass on a franchise qb????

On the no-huddle offense: this Grantland article makes a pretty interesting case for Sam Wyche's Bengals pioneering the no-huddle offense (later pilfered by the Bills), the zone blitz (pioneered by Dick LeBeau when he was the Bengals' DC, then brought to the Steelers, because apparently the Steelers get all the nice things the Bengals were supposed to have, like Carson Palmer's healthy knee), and the zone blocking scheme that is often credited to Howard Mudd. But nobody remembers those Bengals any more, because they happened to be the stepping-stone to Montana's "King of the 80s" crown.

Everything flowed from there, right up until two hours before the AFC Championship Game against the Bills, when, incredibly, Wyche was informed that the league planned to penalize the Bengals 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct every time it went without a huddle.

The league’s position was that since Levy had said he would fake injuries to slow the scheme, the integrity of the game was on the line. Wyche responded by asking the Cincinnati front office to remind then-commissioner Pete Rozelle of the gambling implications of telling a team it couldn’t run its base offense two hours before such a heavily bet game.

“They left to call Rozelle,” Wyche says. “Twenty seconds later, they were back, saying we could run the no-huddle.” Cincy rolled past the Bills, 21-10, to earn a spot in Super Bowl XXIII. Shortly thereafter, Levy’s Bills were using the no-huddle (called the “K-Gun” for quarterback Jim Kelly) to win four consecutive AFC titles.

http://grantland.com/features/remembering-1988-cincinnati-bengals/

On the no-huddle offense: this Grantland article makes a pretty interesting case for Sam Wyche's Bengals pioneering the no-huddle offense (later pilfered by the Bills), the zone blitz (pioneered by Dick LeBeau when he was the Bengals' DC, then brought to the Steelers, because apparently the Steelers get all the nice things the Bengals were supposed to have, like Carson Palmer's healthy knee), and the zone blocking scheme that is often credited to Howard Mudd. But nobody remembers those Bengals any more, because they happened to be the stepping-stone to Montana's "King of the 80s" crown.

http://grantland.com/features/remembering-1988-cincinnati-bengals/

Bill Walsh basically created the WCO while working under Paul Brown as well. Sad that former Bengals coaches have changed the history of the game yet the Bengals are one of the most laughed at organizations in the league. Oh what could have been.

Bill Walsh basically created the WCO while working under Paul Brown as well. Sad that former Bengals coaches have changed the history of the game yet the Bengals are one of the most laughed at organizations in the league. Oh what could have been.

It's sad that Paul Brown had such an incredible influence in the league in so many ways and his kids totally fucked his legacy. The article also goes into that somewhat:

Almost as painful is how the Bengals have treated the lone team in the last 25 years to make any of its fans proud. Wyche was forced out after the 1991 season, told he was fired but publicly said to have resigned so the team wouldn’t have to pay a million-dollar buyout. That led to Esiason demanding a trade, David Shula being hired (disastrously) as head coach, David Klingler being drafted (disastrously) to play quarterback, and on down, ever deeper into the sewer. LeBeau was later named head coach of a deeply dysfunctional team. He floundered, only to land in Pittsburgh and make several Super Bowl trips.

This season, even as the Bengals were going unbeaten at home for the first time since 1988 (until Sunday, of course), there was no reunion ceremony honoring the silver anniversary of the best team in franchise history. In the bigger picture, there is no Ring of Honor to remember past greats, no alumni group assembling the former Bengals to become a presence around the team, no recognition of the only Belle Époque Cincinnati has ever seen.

“The people in charge of the team aren’t wired that way,” Williams says of the Brown/Blackburn family contingent that runs the Bengals. “They have been very harsh to their former players, they are the most litigious of organizations. There is certainly more the team can do in terms of being empathetic to its former players, who gave so much for them.”

I shouldn't say no one remembers those Bengals, because I still remember them pretty well from that Super Bowl, which I taped back then, and used to re-watch from time to time, sometimes just to hear the audible CRACK of Ronnie Lott hitting Ickey Woods and altering Woods' productivity for the rest of the game.

This is supposed to show how great Russell Wilson is and how much of a douche Colin Kaepernick is. And while Kaep is indeed a huge douche, it alos reminds of why I don't like Russell Wilson.

I feel like if I'd known him in college and he weren't a football player, he'd be the guy who's always at the front of the class raising his hand and then staying after to talk to the prof. He'd probably be a fraternity president, student government president, president of the entrepreneurship and the future i-bankers of america. He'd spend his summer interning at Goldman Sachs and digging wells in third world countries and climbing Mt Everest at the same time. It feels like he's been groomed by image consultants since he was 10.

As much as I respect Paul Brown's accomplishments, the man was a complete and utter dick.

The Bengals at one point employed a relay system to create the illusion that (Walsh's) playcalls were in fact coming from Brown; it took so long to run that the QB didn't have enough time to audible if he saw something in the defense.

After Ken Anderson started putting up modern-era numbers in the dead ball era, teams started contacting Brown about interviewing Walsh. Brown would rip Walsh at every opportunity, shutting the door on anyone hiring him as a head coach.

Sportswriters like to rip on Belichick, but where were they when this was happening? If Walsh hadn't eventually taken the NFL by storm, would we even know about these things today?

Sportswriters like to rip on Belichick, but where were they when this was happening? If Walsh hadn't eventually taken the NFL by storm, would we even know about these things today?

Uhh, sports reporting has come a long, long way since the 1980s. To even compare them is kinda crazy.

Watt & Clowney would be the most terrifying pass rush in the league, I'd still rather have Andrew Luck than the two of them together. I haven't seen any of the top QB prospects play, besides Manziel, but I'd rather a potentially good QB than a potentially elite pads rusher.

The teams with the two best young D-linemen in the league are drafting 1st and 2nd overall. Makes for some interesting possibilities. I think the Texans should take him. I don't think they should completely give up on Schaub yet, especially in a year without a slamdunk QB prospect. I think Hundley, Winston, and Mariota will all grade out higher than anyone in this draft, so if they suck again next year they can snap up one of those three.

The teams with the two best young D-linemen in the league are drafting 1st and 2nd overall. Makes for some interesting possibilities. I think the Texans should take him. I don't think they should completely give up on Schaub yet, especially in a year without a slamdunk QB prospect. I think Hundley, Winston, and Mariota will all grade out higher than anyone in this draft, so if they suck again next year they can snap up one of those three.

I can't agree. What if Schaub comes back and Houston is average? They've lost their shot at a legitimate upgrade and then start rolling the dice on next year's class and while there are a few interesting names, they're mostly going to be top 10 picks. If Houston jumps back into the 8-8, 9-7 range, they're going to improve themselves out of a legit shot at any of that talent and could continue to be stuck in QB purgatory where they're good but never great. I think it's dumb in today's game where a QB is the single biggest difference maker on the field.

I can't agree. What if Schaub comes back and Houston is average? They've lost their shot at a legitimate upgrade and then start rolling the dice on next year's class and while there are a few interesting names, they're mostly going to be top 10 picks. If Houston jumps back into the 8-8, 9-7 range, they're going to improve themselves out of a legit shot at any of that talent and could continue to be stuck in QB purgatory where they're good but never great. I think it's dumb in today's game where a QB is the single biggest difference maker on the field.

i just don't think any of the QBs in this draft are worth the #1 overall pick. I'd much rather grab one of the best D-line prospects ever than reach for Johnny Manziel or Teddy Bridgewater with the #1 overall pick.

Archived