NFL 2013 (Divisional Round) or defending Peyton's Place

Howdyphillip

Gotta appreciate him now because I think he's going out this round. :P

But yeah he's probably my coach of the year too. There's a tendency in all sports to give CoTY to the coach of the team that was terrible last year and now is pretty good. But, what, do we really think that's always the most masterful coaching job? I think oftentimes the guy doing the best job coaching that year is the coach of one of the elite teams (hence why they're elite). Let's not punish Belichick for being so damn consistent. Same goes for Poppovich in basketball. These CoTY votes are the poor man's version of not voting for Michael Jordan or Lebron James for MVP because you're bored with them.

Did I tell you how much I appreciate Tom Brady? ;)

Hoodie's competitors are Andy Reid and Riverboat Ron. Reid had a supremely talented team that lost to pretty much every good team it played against. Other than somewhat iffy receiving options, Rivera also had roster stacked with talent. I would rank them as 1.Belichick, 2.Rivera and 3.Reid. That being said, I'm pretty sure Andy Reid will win it.

Well, that's not saying much. ;)

But no, this may be the 12 year old 49er fan in me talking, but I always regarded Bill Walsh as a paragon of gentlemanliness. Gentlemanhood? Something like that. He was fucking classy.

Especially towards guys who were on his staff at one time but had moved on. If memory serves I can remember reading an interview with Mike Holmgren where he talked about Walsh taking calls from him back when he first took over as Packers Head Coach.

Gotta appreciate him now because I think he's going out this round. :P

But yeah he's probably my coach of the year too. There's a tendency in all sports to give CoTY to the coach of the team that was terrible last year and now is pretty good. But, what, do we really think that's always the most masterful coaching job? I think oftentimes the guy doing the best job coaching that year is the coach of one of the elite teams (hence why they're elite). Let's not punish Belichick for being so damn consistent. Same goes for Poppovich in basketball. These CoTY votes are the poor man's version of not voting for Michael Jordan or Lebron James for MVP because you're bored with them.

But talent has to come into play. I'm not sure Andy Reid deserves it, because KC was more an example of a team horribly underachieving last year than a team overachieving this year. I'd say that KC may have overachieved a little, but mostly they feasted on a weak non-divisional schedule and managed only a 1-7 final record against playoff teams. Doesn't look like coach of the year material to me.

I have no problem giving it to Belicheck again because really the Patriots aren't that talented. If we consider Tom Brady and Drew Brees a wash, then the Saints are significantly more talented than New England, but the Patriots nonetheless finished with one fewer loss in the regular season, and are still playing in championship week. And that's taking into account that the coaching in New Orleans isn't exactly the Dave Wannstedt/Jim Caldwell brain trust. Sean Payton knows his business, and Ryan did a solid job with the defense. But they still got outcoached on the season, and in week 6 in New England.

For example, should BIll O'Brien be coach of the year next year if the Texans take Teddy Bridgewater, he plays well, and they go 11-5? I mean, this is all hypothetical, but to me that wouldn't be all that impressive.

I'm surprised there's little love for Chip Kelly. The Eagles were pretty bad last year because of a huge lack of talent, especially defensively - and that didn't really improve this year. First year coach comes in and wins the (admittedly bad) NFC East while making Nick Foles have the second highest passer rating of all time in the NFL.

Nick Foles.

All the while dealing with the Riley Cooper shit, Maclin tearing his ACL, all the stuff with Vick and a press that seemed at time at love with the notion of his failing. He made Philly happy. That's like making grumpycat smile.

I'm surprised there's little love for Chip Kelly. The Eagles were pretty bad last year because of a huge lack of talent, especially defensively - and that didn't really improve this year. First year coach comes in and wins the (admittedly bad) NFC East while making Nick Foles have the second highest passer rating of all time in the NFL.

Nick Foles.

All the while dealing with the Riley Cooper shit, Maclin tearing his ACL, all the stuff with Vick and a press that seemed at time at love with the notion of his failing. He made Philly happy. That's like making grumpycat smile.

But the NFC East was so bad this year that it's hard to really give a lot of credit there. SOMEONE had to win. And while the Eagles defense wasn't very good, I think Philly has decent talent across the board.

If you said going into the season that the Cowboys, Giants and Redskins would combine for a 10-20 record in nondivisional games, what do you think are the odds of the Eagles winning the division?

Nick Foles.

Yeah, he kind of slipped my mind. He did a pretty good job as well.

... I'm not sure Andy Reid deserves it, because KC was more an example of a team horribly underachieving last year than a team overachieving this year. I'd say that KC may have overachieved a little, but mostly they feasted on a weak non-divisional schedule and managed only a 1-7 final record against playoff teams. Doesn't look like coach of the year material to me.

For example, should BIll O'Brien be coach of the year next year if the Texans take Teddy Bridgewater, he plays well, and they go 11-5? I mean, this is all hypothetical, but to me that wouldn't be all that impressive.

Agree on the KC comments, spot on. As for the hypothetical Texans scenario, O'brien will probably get serious consideration if the team gets 9 more wins than 2013 with a rookie QB.

Agree on the KC comments, spot on. As for the hypothetical Texans scenario, O'brien will probably get serious consideration if the team gets 9 more wins than 2013 with a rookie QB.

I'm sure he would. But would he deserve it? If Bridgewater can make some athletic plays and generally protect the ball, then really the Texans OUGHT to go 11-5. This is still a team that went 12-4 in 2012, and that would be playing a weak schedule after the 2013 debacle.

So Mel Kiper has now updated his mock draft and says he's hearing that the Texans are now leaning to taking Johnny Fucking Football number one... other than the obvious story of this being a colossal mistake of epic proportions, it also sadly heralds the end of Teddy Bridgewater's NFL career. If he falls to the Browns/Raiders there's no way he ever makes it as a QB in this league. Kind of sad actually. Seems like a nice enough kid.

I may be late noticing this, but did JaimeL switch his allegiance to Zoey D?

I do know that he was very hurt when she allowed Pete Campbell to defile her body.

I'm sure he would. But would he deserve it? If Bridgewater can make some athletic plays and generally protect the ball, then really the Texans OUGHT to go 11-5. This is still a team that went 12-4 in 2012, and that would be playing a weak schedule after the 2013 debacle.

Really depends on a lot of factors including competition from other coaches and quality of wins. If his team displays a KC like tendency of loosing against every good team they play, then no.

O. M. G. I just realized... Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are facing each other. In the playoffs. I had no idea that these two had played each other before. This has got to be the biggest story since that time the Patriots tried to figure out what other teams were going to do, so as best to thwart their adversary's attempts at surprise shenanigans.

Do you guys think Belichick deserves Coach of the Year? I understand people are probably ready to give it to Andy Reid based on a 9-win improvement over last year, but he had a roster full of all-stars, a QB position upgraded to consistent competency, and his team basically just beat the teams they were supposed to beat and came up famously small in games that really mattered.

Are the Coach of the Year votes tabulated before the playoffs? Because watching Andy Reid's team give up a 28 point lead to the Colts and then watching Belichick's team throttle that same team should inform that process.

EDIT: Corrected Chiefs' win improvement over last year. Somehow I thought they'd finished 13-3...

I'd give it to Belichick. Reid was the opposite of impressive. For three weeks I had to listen to 'The Chiefs are the best team in the league, they beat whoever they play!', and then they got stomped on by the Broncos and Chargers and fell apart.

Mike Zimmer hired as HC of the Vikings. Good for him. Couldn't have happened to a better coach. Well deserved. I hope it works out for him and that he gets given the time to have a chance at success.

Anyone know the last time a team lost their OC and DC to Head Coaching jobs in the same season? Closest I can remember is the 2005 Pats but Weis went to ND, not to a NFL HC job. Any others?

ETA: Just saw the answer to my above question. Bengals are 3rd team since 1990 to have both coordinators leave for HC jobs. '06 Chargers and '94 49ers being the other two.

Does the '06 Chargers count? I thought Norv Turner was the OC? I could very likely be wrong.

On Sunday, two teams will line up to play in the AFC Championship game. And the story will be Brady v. Manning. But another story will be how both these teams had to overcome "adversity." And while I respect John Fox's heart problems, the Broncos' injury problems cannot hold a candle to the Pats' (von Miller included- and when you cheat like him, sorry, but I don't count that as "adversity"). The Patriots did far more this season with far less. And its due to one guy more or less, and that's Darth Hoodie.
Though... I'd never give the guy General Manager of the Year for obvious reasons....

You mean when he smoked pot?

Well, just to point out- what IG said would still be technically correct insofar as Belichick may not have done anything as revolutionary as the West Coast offense, IG never said he did; he said that nobody has been better SINCE Walsh, thus indicating that what Walsh did was more impressive.

I think Belichcik did something far more impressive, though, and that was managing a team in the salary cap era, something Walsh never had to do. Belichcik brought forth a number of smaller innovations that other teams have tried to emulate (with varying degrees of success) including the bubble screen, limited substitutions and higher-tempo offenses, etc.

Didn't Peyton bring the no huddle offense to the league with Tom Moore?

Whenever Michael Jordan got sick, it meant he was about to seriously kick somebody's ass.

That was the first thing I thought.

Did I tell you how much I appreciate Tom Brady? ;)

Hoodie's competitors are Andy Reid and Riverboat Ron. Reid had a supremely talented team that lost to pretty much every good team it played against. Other than somewhat iffy receiving options, Rivera also had roster stacked with talent. I would rank them as 1.Belichick, 2.Rivera and 3.Reid. That being said, I'm pretty sure Andy Reid will win it.

Wow, no love for the Paragon Pagano? Seriously? Why Andy Reid?

Nick Foles.

Yeah, I have difficulty taking anything that comes out of the NFC East seriously. That division has been a laughingstock for about 4 years now. Not saying Kelly didn't do a good job (#1 rushing offense), but... NFC (L)East...

No, silly, the no huddle has been around for 25 years. The Bengals first popularized it under Sam Wyche, but I think it was around in a more limited sense even before that.

Poor wording. I knew the Bengals did it for a while, but I thought Peyton and Moore made it what it is today. I hadn't seen the Pats going all in on it until last year.

I do not think that it is a foregone conclusion that the Texans take Bridgewater with the first overall pick. I think that they may just try and solve their QB issue in free agency with a trade offer for someone like Cousins. They could also wait until the second or third round and pick Baby Carr. (I personally feel the difference between talent between him and the top QB picks is so minimal that it makes him an extreme value pick.. a la Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick)

Clowney is the best player in the draft, and the best DL to come out in a long time. If the Texans decide to pass him, I think it would be a mistake.

Poor wording. I knew the Bengals did it for a while, but I thought Peyton and Moore made it what it is today. I hadn't seen the Pats going all in on it until last year.

Nah that'd be Jim Kelly's Bills I'd say, they pretty much did nothing but.

Nah that'd be Jim Kelly's Bills I'd say, they pretty much did nothing but.

Before my time, but I guess I stand corrected.

I was musing on something, and why do most of the people here ignore the time of possession stat? I know that it's flawed, but I remember reading someone write here that 'TOP is not important, it's about the # of plays ran'. Which I kind of agree with, but there's an obvious benefit to long clock-killing drives that shorten the game/disrupt players' timing. I've watched the Chargers do this to Peyton for years. (Which is really weird because they've always been a high-flying offense until it's Peyton's turn, when they morph into a ball-control team).

Just something I've been wondering about.

I do not think that it is a foregone conclusion that the Texans take Bridgewater with the first overall pick. I think that they may just try and solve their QB issue in free agency with a trade offer for someone like Cousins. They could also wait until the second or third round and pick Baby Carr. (I personally feel the difference between talent between him and the top QB picks is so minimal that it makes him an extreme value pick.. a la Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick)

Clowney is the best player in the draft, and the best DL to come out in a long time. If the Texans decide to pass him, I think it would be a mistake.

Watt & Clowney would be the most terrifying pass rush in the league, I'd still rather have Andrew Luck than the two of them together. I haven't seen any of the top QB prospects play, besides Manziel, but I'd rather a potentially good QB than a potentially elite pads rusher.

Archived