Questions to Targaryen fans.

Guard of the Rainking

She has to have some Westerosi allies though doesn't she?

I think the Iron Islands and the Vale will fight for Dany.

I kind of hope she doesn't get the Vale, instead she has to just rely on the Ironborn, Dothraki, Unsullied, Sellswords, and other Essos and Freedmen forces.

I kind of hope she doesn't get the Vale, instead she has to just rely on the Ironborn, Dothraki, Unsullied, Sellswords, and other Essos and Freedmen forces.

Why would the Vale fight for her? For that matter, once the Greyjoy brothers kill each other, the ironborn aren't going to fight for her either. She already trashed her most natural allies in Dorne. I don't see much voluntary support, of course once she starts going dracarys on everything people may fall in line. LOL.

So I have been a Baratheon and a Stark fan since I started reading this series. Targaryens have never really been my thing, and I'm not sure why. So here are a couple of questions, that I want to hear your answers to.

1. What do you think of the "bad" Targaryen kings like Aerys II and Aegon IV?

2. What do you think of the Blackfyres?

3. What do you think of Aegon I's "right" to conquer Westeros?

4. What do you think of Rhaegar and Lyanna?

5. What do you think of the Baratheons claim to the throne?

6. What do you think of Robert, Stannis and Renly?

7. What do you think of Daenerys infertility?

8. What do you think of Aegon VI?

9. What do you think Daenerys would have done/ will do to the Starks, the Arryns, the Tullys, the Baratheons and the Lannisters?

10. What do you think will happen with Daenerys and the Greyjoys?

Non Targ fans can answer too.

1. Shit Kings. Far too many of them as well.

2. More Dragonspawn

3. Right by Conqest. Same as Robert

4. A huge war was caused, because a Prince heard of some prophecy. Lyanna is to blame as well - considering she went willingly, and stayed willingly.

5. Right by Conquest. Same as Aegon I. Currently rightful rulers on the IT.

6. Robert was an awesome warrior. Stannis is my fav. characer. Renly was cool as well.

7. Don't care.

8. Fake

9. I don't know? Crucifixion of every person attached to any of those Houses?

10. Vic will try to kidnap her and her dragons.

Why would the Vale fight for her? For that matter, once the Greyjoy brothers kill each other, the ironborn aren't going to fight for her either. She already trashed her most natural allies in Dorne. I don't see much voluntary support, of course once she starts going dracarys on everything people may fall in line. LOL.

LF isn't stupid, he's going to back the winning side, and Aegon ain't gonna win.

And Dany didn't "trash" her alliance with Dorne. She promised Quentyn they would be allies, its not her fault he decided to be an idiot. And Drink and Yronwood know the truth. But Doran will obviously back his "nephew".

Aerys wasn't a bad king, Aegon IV was the very image of Robert Baratheon (which means that he wasn't exactly the pride of the family)

They have no right to the throne.

He did not only conquer it, he united it.

They're the worst persons in history if they did it for love. But my believe is that Rhaegar chose Lyanna for the prophecy. In which case, I still have an high opinion of him. Robert broke the engagement by not being able to keep it in his pants.

I deny its existence.

conquest = to take control of a place by military force.

usurp = to take control of a place by military force without legal authority

As outsiders, the Targaryens had nothing to do with the legal authorities of Westeros (which means that they took Westeros by the right of conquest), while the Baratheons were part of the realm (which means that they usurped Westeros).

There were still heirs in the main line of succession, so he had no right to claim the throne through his grandmother Rhaelle.

No matter how you twist it, he has no claim over the IT.

I dislike Robert and Stannis. I really don't hold anything against Renly.

She's not infertile, she had a miscarriage in her last ADwD chapters.

He's dead...

9. What do you think Daenerys would have done/ will do to the Starks, the Arryns, the Tullys, the Baratheons and the Lannisters?

Nothing if they do not oppose her, the ones responsible for the rebellion are already dead.

http://mycitybites.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/grilled-calamari.jpg

I don't like them.

2. What do you of the Blackfyres?

Daemon Blackfyre had a cool name and a cool sword, but I prefer the Targaryens.

He could conquer it, differently of Robert's conquest, which was treason. The problem is that we don't know what was the contract between suzerain and vassal in Westeros, if Aerys broke this contract, both Aegon and Robert would have the same right, if not, Robert was a traitor. But Aegon wasn't a usurper, he didn't betray anyone.

I think that Jon will be Azor Ahai, so Rhaegar will indirectly help to save the world.

See 3.

I'm neutral to them.

I don't think she is infertile.

I liked him, but now I think he's a fake, but he's still better than Daenerys.

9. What do you think Daenerys would have done/will do to the Starks, the Arryns, the Tullys, the Baratheons and the Lannisters?

I think that she will learn the truth about them, and see that the Lannisters were the only "bad" ones.

I think there will be an alliance for now, but someone will betray someone.

LF isn't stupid, he's going to back the winning side, and Aegon ain't gonna win.

And Dany didn't "trash" her alliance with Dorne. She promised Quentyn they would be allies, its not her fault he decided to be an idiot. And Drink and Yronwood know the truth. But Doran will obviously back his "nephew".

He's not going to want a queen with dragons on the throne who will then have an unassailable power base, especially if she shows up with Tyrion Lannister as her hand. He won't back Grif, but then, whomever he backs he's going to double cross or maybe he will be dead by this time anyone, LOL. I don't agree really on Quentyn, that was a mistake on her part, failure to see the big picture and an emotional reaction because he wasn't hot enough.

I don't agree really on Quentyn, that was a mistake on her part, failure to see the big picture and an emotional reaction because he wasn't hot enough.

Daario is "hot enough" and she still stoped sleeping with him once she married Hizdahr. She is the queen of Meereen, and that was her priority. Quentyn had bad timing, if he met her in Qarth, I'm sure she'd accepted his offer.

Aerys was insane as even most Targ supporters will agree. There should be some dynastic mechanism to remove insane occupants of the throne. Aegon IV did not do much that damaged anyone. But he may have lacked foresight on his deathbed.

Edited: I agree with the person above who says that Aegon IV (as king) was essentially the image of Robert Baratheon.

What Bloodraven or Baelor Breakspear thought of them. They were in the wrong and their claim was wrong.

3. What do you think of Aegon I's "right" to conquer Westeros?.

There was no such thing as a 'right' to conquer. The Targaryen conquest redefined the entire political and social order of the seven kingdoms and established new rules and norms etc. It can hardly be judged under the rules that came into operation in its aftermath. Just like any state now can not secede from the union because they dislike federal tax policies. The Targaryen conquest was the moment of inception for united Westeros. It was the so called Big Bang before the laws of nature existed.

What Barristan Selmy thinks, i.e. that there is not sufficient information to know. Did he kidnap her? Did she leave willingly? Were they in love? Did he think he was saving the world? Was he right about saving the world?

In my view the Baratheon takeover of power was much less a conquest in the way of Aegon I, and more close to what we would today call a coup. Certain high ranking people from within the Targaryen system (with the Baratheons especially having no older claim to their position even in the Stormlands prior to the Targaryen conquest, but only having this lordship as Targaryen appointees) decided to rebel against central authority and eventually took over power in the centre. There was no external conquest like in the case of Aegon. As such I see it exactly as Stannis would see it if the Lannisters were to make a claim for the throne.

Like most characters they have their good and bad points. Robert was a good soldier and good friend but bad king. He didn't have the psychopathic tendencies of his successor or the madness of his predecessor. Stannis can be quite capable but he has to learn the value of compromise and mercy and needs to get out from under Melisandre's thumb. Renly was usurping straight off and was the only person who was honest about it. He would probably have made a decent king.

I hope it ends. She clearly has a maternal side to her and her infertility is tragic. Espeically with all the other crap she has had to face in her life.

He's probably fake. Doesn't mean he would be a bad king though. He has been trained to be a good one his whole life ater all.

As everyone who was directly responsible for throwing them out is already long dead, I doubt that she will do much to any of them. After all if she pardons/works with Tyrion Lannister she'll probably find it possible to work with the others as well. If Stannis fights her she will fight back, but if not, then probably not. She may go after Jaime, but it all depends on what she learns about how Aerys was trying to burn the city. Also depends on Jon Snow and whether an apocalypse is going on.

Can't say. The way GRRM works every major character may be dead by the end and Davos Seaworth may end up on the throne with Dolorous Edd as Hand.

The only reason we know that Aegon isn't going to win is because we know that it wouldn't make narrative sense something that LF wouldn't be aware of.

I wish more Targaryen fans, and ASOIAF fans in general, realized this.

They didn't really though, the Targs had dragons, and did some badass shit and exchanged some badass convo. And the Targs had installed a good King Aegon Targaryen

The Rebels fought some of their own bannermen because they stayed loyal to their King, they also got the crown by treachery and by sacking a city and the murder of a lady and her two babies. The rebels put a drunk, negligent King on the throne at the end of it all Robert Baratheon who was a piece of shit on his best day and was a worthless disgusting excuse of a King on his worst day.

The only reason we know that Aegon isn't going to win is because we know that it wouldn't make narrative sense something that LF wouldn't be aware of.

True.

Perhaps it won't be LF at all, but maybe the Vale lords wanting rid of him. I just see the Vale getting in the war, and my guess is for Dany.

They didn't really though, the Targs had dragons, and did some badass shit and exchanged some badass convo. And the Targs had installed a good King Aegon Targaryen

The Rebels fought some of their own bannermen because they stayed loyal to their King, they also got the crown by treachery and by sacking a city and the murder of a lady and her two babies. The rebels put a drunk, negligent King on the throne at the end of it all Robert Baratheon who was a piece of shit on his best day and was a worthless disgusting excuse of a King on his worst day.

Was Aegon I actually that good of a king besides his conquering? Moreover, he helped set up a massive uprising against his regime following his death by his means of his heir similar to Robert.

Why wouldn't the Rebels fight their own bannermen if they were on the opposing side of them? It is no different then the Targaryens fighting some of their own bannermen who were rebelling. Nor did the Rebels get the throne though treachery in how they had already won by the time Tywin sacked King's Landing.

Finally, Robert was probably average with a good deal of the Targaryen kings that come before him.

. I don't agree really on Quentyn, that was a mistake on her part, failure to see the big picture and an emotional reaction because he wasn't hot enough.

I always see this comment being tossed around, and it is very wrong according to what I read.

At that point in time meereen was her main priority, thats why she didnt make an alliance with Quentyn. I believe if Quentyn came with the so called "promised swords in Dorne" she would have married him as it would help in the meereen fight.

Quentyn being "not hot enough" is not the main reason why she didn't marry him, she clearly married Hizdahr even though she didn't like him.

True.

Perhaps it won't be LF at all, but maybe the Vale lords wanting rid of him. I just see the Vale getting in the war, and my guess is for Dany.

Littlefinger mentions to Sansa something regarding 'three queens'. If these are Cersei, Marge and Dany, then Dany is the only one who does not currently have a foothold in Westeros, unless LF is planning to provide her one. So that may be a possible hint. But who the hell ever knows with LF?

True.

The issue is I don't see any reason why the Vale lords would particularly want to side with Dany as they hold no connection to her and if she comes with Tyrion that means she is allied with the person who armed the Mountain Clans against them.

Simply, it might happen but it would feel like a weak measure by George to just hand Dany another army without any great cost to her which is tiring in my opinion.

Archived