Roose knew Arya was highborn/maybe true identity?

JaegrM

When Arya was serving as his cupbearer she let slip with a "My Lord" as opposed to "m'lord" Roose is said to grin or "what may have been a grin" immedietly following that line from Arya.

After his diologue with Reek, we know why he grinned.

Did Roose just not care?

I find it hard to believe that Bolton never met Arya (unless I missed that line somewhere)

Was he amused a noble lady was posing as a peasant?

No.

Here's their first interaction:

Then Shagwell pounced on her, dragging her out across the yard. “My lord, my lord,” he sang, tugging at her wrist, “here’s the weasel who made the soup!”

“Let go,” Arya said, wriggling out of his grasp.

The lord regarded her. Only his eyes moved; they were very pale, the color of ice. “How old are you, child?”

She had to think for a moment to remember. “Ten.

“Ten, my lord,” he reminded her. “Are you fond of animals?”

Some kinds. My lord.

She answers in one word and doesn't address him properly, neither as a highborn (my lord) nor as a peasant (m'lord). Roose corrects her, and the next time she calls him "my lord" as he instructed her.

To quote Jon:

Could his sister truly have escaped such captors? How would she do that? Arya was always quick and clever, but in the end she’s just a little girl, and Roose Bolton is not the sort who would be careless with a prize of such great worth.

Ach the irony... But seriously I doubt he knew.

The passage I'm referring to is when Arya DARED to ask Bolton a question without permission

So what? After the first time, she always remembers to call him "my lord" because that's how he told her to address him, and you don't want to make a man like Roose to tell you something twice.

Roose wouldn't let Arya slip out of her fingers if he knew who she is.When a peasent calls him "my lord" it pleases him but he knew who Theon was and he wanted to insult Theon more.Probably some of the smallfolk might call their lords "my lord" it is not that much of a big deal.

But after the fuss he later makes with Theon, we the readers KNOW what he thinks a peasant compared to a highborn sounds like when using that courtesy.

He's really just fucking with Theon. In the same conversation, he both calls Theon "my lord" but also instructs him to say "m'lord" like a proper peasant... I think his main purpose here is to feel him out and see how he reacts to different things, if he's really as broken as he appears. And he comes to the conclusion, that he is.

I used to think, that Roose has an idea that Arya is really a highborn girl because of the "my lord," but as others already said, there must be peasants who say that too. And Roose specifically instructed her to end her sentences with "my lord" when she addresses him. If he really had an idea that she was someone more important than she pretended to be, he wouldn't have left her.

I definitely don't think he knew who she was. Maybe he thought she was the highborn daughter of some random, perhaps lesser, lord of the Riverlands. The likelihood of her being Arya Stark is so slim it would take a genius psychic to figure that one out.

Well, Arya has the "Stark look" surely Roose must have noticed this.

"Did I give you leave to question me Nan?"

"No My Lord" She lowered her eyes."

"You should not have spoken then, should you?"

"No. My Lord"

For a moment he looked amused. "I will answer you...

Anyone care to explain the amused look then?

Anyone care to explain the amused look then?

Roose can be quite a nice man if you aren't against him or haven't wronged him. I think he treats his servants well.

I really think it's laughable that Book Tywin would have given Arya the time of day and asked for her opinions. Tywin I don't think treated his subordinates well at all and merely wanted to instill fear in them at all time. Roose, while similar to Tywin, is not that person, and probably would have talked with his servants on occasion.

Archived