Roose knew Arya was highborn/maybe true identity?

JaegrM

I just don't see Roose telling someone of common birth to call him 'My Lord' and not expecting 'M'lord' in it's place.

The fact that Arya transistions from lack of courtesy straight to "My Lord" should be a telling sign to someone as worldly as Roose.

Not that he HAD to suspect she was indeed THE Arya, but again she has a striking Stark appearance and speaks like a highborn lady, which has repeatedly been mentioned as a way to mark someone of noble birth.

If Roose Bolton knew who Arya was, he would have kept her. If he knew after making the arrangements with Tywin, he would have killed and disposed of the body quietly. He doesn't seem the type to leave loose ends dangling.

As for the 'My Lord" and "M'lord" argument, I think it was just his way of belittling Theon even further. In other words "We're feeding you and clothing you but, don't get any stupid ideas, you're still Reek"

Roose can be quite a nice man if you aren't against him or haven't wronged him. I think he treats his servants well.

I really think it's laughable that Book Tywin would have given Arya the time of day and asked for her opinions. Tywin I don't think treated his subordinates well at all and merely wanted to instill fear in them at all time. Roose, while similar to Tywin, is not that person, and probably would have talked with his servants on occasion.

Well TV Tywin and book Tywin are very similar and TV Tywin KNEW she way lying about who she said she was, thats likely WHY he gave her the time of day. He probably thought it was a fun little game. Now when he gets back to kings landing and he gets a description of the missing Stark girl and realizes HE let her get away does he say anything?

Roose had never seen Arya, so how could he make the connection? Its possible he could have noticed something a little "off" about her compared to the other servants, but theres really nothing for him to make the Stark connection. Arya was filthy as hell and with shaggy, terrible hair, so him making the Stark Look connection is unlikely. Had Roose known who Arya was, he would have seized her immediately.

Im pretty sure Roose knows that Jeyne Poole isnt Arya, but i highly doubt he realizes that the ragamuffin cupbearer back in Harrenhal was the real Arya.

Roose had never seen Arya, so how could he make the connection? Its possible he could have noticed something a little "off" about her compared to the other servants, but theres really nothing for him to make the Stark connection. Arya was filthy as hell and with shaggy, terrible hair, so him making the Stark Look connection is unlikely. Had Roose known who Arya was, he would have seized her immediately.

Im pretty sure Roose knows that Jeyne Poole isnt Arya, but i highly doubt he realizes that the ragamuffin cupbearer back in Harrenhal was the real Arya.

Is it stated they never met?

Well TV Tywin and book Tywin are very similar and TV Tywin KNEW she way lying about who she said she was, thats likely WHY he gave her the time of day. He probably thought it was a fun little game. Now when he gets back to kings landing and he gets a description of the missing Stark girl and realizes HE let her get away does he say anything?

Book Tywin isn't into games. I could see him giving her a second thought whenever she got him the book just by reading the title, but the first episode where he asks her where she's from and about Robb Stark, I seriously doubt he would have done that.

Is it stated they never met?

Bolton and Stark were never particularly friendly. Domeric Bolton was far too old for Arya to marry and Roose had no other legitimate children. Arya also stayed out of sight/with the servants and younger children at WF. There was nobreason for Roosebto visit Wf prior to the WotFK

I just don't see Roose telling someone of common birth to call him 'My Lord' and not expecting 'M'lord' in it's place.

The fact that Arya transistions from lack of courtesy straight to "My Lord" should be a telling sign to someone as worldly as Roose.

Not that he HAD to suspect she was indeed THE Arya, but again she has a striking Stark appearance and speaks like a highborn lady, which has repeatedly been mentioned as a way to mark someone of noble birth.

So if you think that Roose suspected that Nan (or whatever she called herself at that time) was Arya or a northern highborn girl, why didn't he investigate any further? Why let her go?

He might have guessed she was highborn but there's no way he would have let her run around unwatched for so long if he knew she was Arya. He was beginning his plot against Robb at the time. If he had any inkling that he had a Stark child around he would have attached a guard to her, if not straight up chained her up.

If somehow she got away to tell Catelyn or Robb about him mistreating her, he could have just told them she was a willful child and he wanted to make sure she stayed put.

To quote Jon:

Could his sister truly have escaped such captors? How would she do that? Arya was always quick and clever, but in the end she’s just a little girl, and Roose Bolton is not the sort who would be careless with a prize of such great worth.

Ach the irony... But seriously I doubt he knew.

Wow, never connected this before!

To quote Jon:

Could his sister truly have escaped such captors? How would she do that? Arya was always quick and clever, but in the end shes just a little girl, and Roose Bolton is not the sort who would be careless with a prize of such great worth.

Ach the irony... But seriously I doubt he knew.

I think about this one a lot. But in the end this has to be correct. Unless of course he had no real intention of leaving her at HH.

Here's something that's either ENTIRELY NEW SPECULATION, or at least SEMI-RARE.

(UNLESS IT WAS MENTIONED FIVE MINUTES AGO IN THIS VERY THREAD).

What if Roose is so aware of the Arya situation..... so very aware.....

that he knows not to mess with a girl who has a Faceless Man watching over her !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Huh? Huh?

Is it "groundbreaking" ?????? (Or did the entire Roose-at-Harrenhal era happen after Jaquen had already moved on?)

It has been said by many and I have to agree, he is not the sort to let an advantage slip through his fingers. His marriage to the Frey's and the explicit act of Ramsay taking the Walders during the sack shows a man that goes out of his way to secure advantage. Ramsay likely sacked WInterfell on his own without the knowledge of his father, but it was certainly Roose who gave instructions to secure Freys grandchildren (which makes him complicit in the act, but not wholly responsible). Their "rescue" is Roose's leverage in his alliance with the Freys when he threatens old Walder just before the RW. He takes his pleasure where he can get it (like acts of rape like the one that brought Ramsay into the world), but he takes every precaution in making sure that all his bases are covered (hanging the husband and taking the tongue of the brother so that no tale can be told).

Roose definitely knows it is not the real Arya. His deal with Tywin & by extension Littlefinger is stated pretty plainly in Jaime's POV. Roose knows, but all he needs is a pretender to take control of Winterfell with.

Whether he knows his hostage is actually Jeyne Poole, I do not know. It would hardly matter if he did.

It has been said by many and I have to agree, he is not the sort to let an advantage slip through his fingers. His marriage to the Frey's and the explicit act of Ramsay taking the Walders during the sack shows a man that goes out of his way to secure advantage. Ramsay likely sacked WInterfell on his own without the knowledge of his father, but it was certainly Roose who gave instructions to secure Freys grandchildren (which makes him complicit in the act, but not wholly responsible). Their "rescue" is Roose's leverage in his alliance with the Freys when he threatens old Walder just before the RW. He takes his pleasure where he can get it (like acts of rape like the one that brought Ramsay into the world), but he takes every precaution in making sure that all his bases are covered (hanging the husband and taking the tongue of the brother so that no tale can be told).

You gotta hand it to him, Roose is clever.

I think it's very plausible that Roose knew who Arya was.

Roose instructed her to call him "My Lord" and if she had been lowborn, she'd have said "M'lord." If you ask a guy from Revere, Massachusetts to say "pisser" he's going to say "pissa"and if you ask him to say "weird" he's gong to say "wee-ahd." Similarly, if you ask someone from Kansas to say "Washington" a lot of them are going to say "Warshington." It's fairly certain that Roose knows that she's highborn whether or not he realizes the she's Arya.

Roose didn't let Arya "slip through his fingers." He had her trapped in a castle that was very tightly guarded, and Arya had to plot to steel horses and murder a guard to escape. Neither Gendry nor Hot Pie dreamed of trying to escape, no matter how much they wanted to. Roose may well believe that he's leaving her to die with Vargo Hoat in Harrenhal; Roose knows that if the Bloody Mummers don't kill her, they won't be able to hold Harrenhal anyway; once it's lost Arya will be executed by Lannister forces for her weasel soup trick.

As far as Roose being quick to act, we've seen nothing at all in the books to support this. On the contrary, his habit is to hang back and observe, only acting when he's ascertained that there is minimal risk and plausible deniability. Remember, he never acted at the Red Wedding until the outcome was all but certain. Roose could very well be hanging back to see what Arya is up to. Once he's done, he moves on leaving her to die at Harenhal. At this point, he's decided to betray Robb Stark, but if that doesn't work out as planned he doesn't want Arya's death directly linked to him.

Furthermore, part of the deal betraying the Starks was to get his son married to fArya/Jeyne Poole. So he knows that the Lannisters have fArya ready to marry Ramsey, and this means that -- far from being a huge prize -- the real Arya is nothing but trouble.

Personally, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he chose Arya as his cup bearer because he knew that she was Arya, and this allowed him to keep a closer eye on her. Believing that she was trapped in the castle without the resources to escape, he moved on once he figured out that she was of no use to him.

Ramsay likely sacked WInterfell on his own without the knowledge of his father, but it was certainly Roose who gave instructions to secure Freys grandchildren (which makes him complicit in the act, but not wholly responsible). Their "rescue" is Roose's leverage in his alliance with the Freys when he threatens old Walder just before the RW. He takes his pleasure where he can get it (like acts of rape like the one that brought Ramsay into the world), but he takes every precaution in making sure that all his bases are covered (hanging the husband and taking the tongue of the brother so that no tale can be told).

Roose definitely knew of the attack on Winterfell before it happened and expressly approved it. The reason it took so long for Reek/Ramsey to return to Winterfell was because he had to get everything cleared through Roose.

First of all, there's no way that the folks left in charge of the Dreadfort are going to let Ramsey march off with any reasonable fraction of their force without Roose's permission.

Second, there is no way for Roose to provide instruction to Ramsey to "rescue" the Frey's without communicating to Ramsey before he leaves the Dreadfort. In fact, Ramsey's rescue of the Freys indicates that Roose gave Ramsery explicit instructions on how to take Winterfell and what to do after he had.

Conclusion: Roose is not just an accessory to Ramsey's behavior, he's a co-conspirator. He's Theon Greyjoy with a larger army.

Bolton and Stark were never particularly friendly. Domeric Bolton was far too old for Arya to marry and Roose had no other legitimate children. Arya also stayed out of sight/with the servants and younger children at WF. There was nobreason for Roosebto visit Wf prior to the WotFK

While I doubt that Arya ever met the Boltons since she doesn't recognize them, Domeric did apparently ride horses with Lyanna. He must've seen her at some point, and Arya bears a strong resemblance to Lyanna as a child. She also has a strong resemblance to her father.

I doubt we'll ever know one way or the other. The random orphan noted for freeing Northmen must have been curious to Roose, though. Why wouldn't he lock her up? I don't know. He's not Ramsay, after all. Roose makes a lot of strange decisions because as Barbrey says, he likes to toy with people in a different way than Ramsay does.

Archived