The 'White Walkers'? Why name change?

sleath56

The Others are definitely the same as White Walkers.

Just because some characters conflate the two doesn't make it so. Characters can be wrong, especially when they didn't even know the things really did exist until recently. GRRM has only said that all of Old Nan's stories are true - not the rest of the characters.

The Old Nan and Bran interaction doesn't even connect the two definitively. Old Nan is asking Bran which story he wants, she mentions a story with white walkers, he says "The Others", then she tells him the story of The Others. She doesn't say "oh yea that's what I meant when I said white walkers".

So all we actually know is that when "The Others" come, the "white walkers move through the woods". She also calls "The Others" "cold things, dead things". The white walkers are cold, but they don't seem dead to me. The wights on the other hand do seem dead. "The Others" also lead the hosts of the slain... but we haven't ever seen the white walkers together with the walking corpses(and if you count the show I will laugh at you)...

So yea, maybe the Others and the white walkers are the same thing... or maybe they're not, but the show rolled them into the same thing - since the show does that for many many things. Either way you can't really call it a name change when the books call them white walkers repeatedly as well.

The Others are definitely the same as White Walkers.

The GREAT OTHER becomes THE GREAT WHITE WALKER.

(The Great Other is the god of darkness, cold... His true name is never spoken, So maybe we now know his true name.)

Welcome to the forum. Only one problem I'd like to point out with your Lost/GoT character comparison, John Locke was named after the philosopher John Locke, a theme which Lost carries out throughout the series.

Yeah the Lost writers did that a lot, right? Also one could think that they got inspired by the ASoIaF "chapter structure". In every episode of Lost they got one centric character who we get flashbacks from, you know, kinda like GRRM's POV chapters. Every episode (chapter) got insides from one character that you only get when it's his/her episode (chapter). Or maybe that's just too much interpretation on my side.

And as many on the internet have pointed out before me, Lost-Character Sawyer aka James is based on Jaime I guess. You think that in return Sawyer's look inpired NCW's look in the GoT show? And an importent character in Jamie's show-storyline is named Locke. Also D&D seem to be quite taken by Lost's typical episode-cliffhangers (farmer's boys/where are my dragons).

This is FALSE. JJ Abrams has never read A Song of Ice & Fire, and Damon Lindelof only read the books AFTER watching the first season of the show.

I think you might be confused because when Game of Thrones started being produced, there were three actors that GRRM 100% wanted: Sean Bean for Eddard, Peter Dinklage for Tyrion, Josh Holloway for Jaime.

The reason GRRM wanted Josh Holloway for Sawyer was because he sort of resembles what he imagined Jaime looking like, and because Lost was GRRM's favorite show for a long time.

As we know, Josh Holloway didn't take the role. He was finishing up the last season of Lost in 2009, and he wanted to stick to movie roles for a while afterwards. I'm sure he's kicking himself in the teeth now considering he hasn't scored any staring movie roles, and considering how poorly CBS's Intelligence(which he stars in) has been doing.

I think you might be confused because when Game of Thrones started being produced, there were three actors that GRRM 100% wanted: Sean Bean for Eddard, Peter Dinklage for Tyrion, Josh Holloway for Jaime.

This is interesting! Do you have a link? NCW is very good as Jaime IMO, hard to imagine Holloway in that role.

Ahh...lost was inspired by Star Wars all the way. Jack was Luke, Kate was Leia, Sawyer was Han. Then Locke was Obi Wan and Hurley was Chewie. I've never seen anything on LOST to make me think the creators were big ASOIAF fans.

Wait, Jack and Kate are twins?! :p Now that would make Lost similar to ASOAIF...

Welcome to the forum. Only one problem I'd like to point out with your Lost/GoT character comparison, John Locke was named after the philosopher John Locke, a theme which Lost carries out throughout the series.

The previous poster was not suggesting that Lost was inspired by ASOIAF/GoT when they named him John Locke; that wouldn't make any sense, since there's no Locke in the ASOAIF books, and Lost finished before Game of Thrones even started airing. I presume that they were suggesting that D&D named the character that they invented "Locke" (who replaced a different book character called Vargo Hoat in the capacity of the dude who chops Jaime's hand) because they liked Lost. Although that contradicts the idea that they didn't want to be compared to Lost.

I agree with this too, LOST had been gone long enough before GOT started.

Lost finished in 2010. GoT went into production in 2008/9.

This is FALSE. JJ Abrams has never read A Song of Ice & Fire, and Damon Lindelof only read the books AFTER watching the first season of the show.

The reason GRRM wanted Josh Holloway for Sawyer was because he sort of resembles what he imagined Jaime looking like, and because Lost was GRRM's favorite show for a long time.

As we know, Josh Holloway didn't take the role. He was finishing up the last season of Lost in 2009, and he wanted to stick to movie roles for a while afterwards. I'm sure he's kicking himself in the teeth now considering he hasn't scored any staring movie roles, and considering how poorly CBS's Intelligence(which he stars in) has been doing.

Really? I didn't know GRRM thought Holloway looked like what he imagined Jaime to be like. Then NCW is really perfectly cast, because the first thing I thought when I saw him is how much he looks like Josh Holloway.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Which is, of course, ridiculous reasoning as they are two different shows. They act as if the viewing audiences are plebs and cannot tell the difference between one show and another.

The point would be that it would seem like the show was ripping off LOST (mysterious "Others" who steal babies), not that viewers wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two.

I agree with this too, LOST had been gone long enough before GOT started.

Anyway no one has ever asked D&D, as far as I know, why or if there really has been a name change.

Just like nobody has ever asked why the change from Asha to Yara, we only have the speculation of some who think it's not to confuse Asha and Osha, which I think is silly considering it an adult audience watching.

D&D did comment on this in the Season 1 DVD commentaries. They were worried that people would refer to the Others and the viewer would go, "The other who? The other what?" Like previous posters said, you can't tell if it is being used as a proper noun in speech like you could when capitalized in text.The whole Lost connection was always fan speculation which D&D may agree with behind closed doors, but that isn't their stated reason for the change.

Archived