[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

any more spoilers from unreleased books and you can count me out

There is no experience like the book experience. Ned's end, thinking Bran and Rickon ate it, the RW, Sir Grandfather's identity, Theons dissapearance and reappearance, all the back-story and prophecies . . . the show just can't approach the level of immersion the books can, and by that token can't make as big of an impact. I would be remiss to steal that experience away from myself by watching a TV show, no matter how much I wanted to.

Don't really know where to ask this question so I'll just ask it here:

What will happen with the show in few years when there will be no more book material to take from and GRRM will still be in the process of writing the seventh book? Will we get an alternative ending to all the stories? Or maybe the books 4,5 and 6 will be split into 4 or 5 seasons to give GRRM time to finish the seventh book? What do you think will happen? Because I don't believe GRRM would allow the show to spoil the real ending (he suppossedly said to the D&D how the story will end) in book 7 before it's released.

What will happen with the show in few years when there will be no more book material to take from and GRRM will still be in the process of writing the seventh book? Will we get an alternative ending to all the stories? Or maybe the books 4,5 and 6 will be split into 4 or 5 seasons to give GRRM time to finish the seventh book? What do you think will happen? Because I don't believe GRRM would allow the show to spoil the real ending (he suppossedly said to the D&D how the story will end) in book 7 before it's released.

D&D know the story's ending, in broad strokes at least. But they don't know the juice of the journey there. They have no details, no dialogue, no stream of conscious. That's why they probably dread going into uncharted territory of AWOW and/or ADOS. They'll probably have to, it seems. They'll probably invent a lot of stuff on their own, especially because they feel no particular attachment to the story itself, as evidenced by so many deviations up until this point - just imagine how wild is their 'imagination' going to run, once there are no books read by millions of readers. My guess is, it'll be an embarrassment, but even if you do like what they're doing with the show, chances are you don't have to worry about being spoiled for the yet unpublished books.

The main character stories and important conclusions and plot points will be hit but how they get there will be very different.

They will have extensive notes provided by GRRM to work from, and while I don't think there's anything in any contract between HBO and GRRM that says the show producers can't invent their own alternate endings, I doubt that will be the case. The show will most definitely spoil everything about the final book(s) except for a lot of minor details.

I think surpassing the books is a blessing in disguise.

Sure, certain things might be painted in broadstroakes.

But what are some of the most common complaints for the TV series? That Tyrion, Dany, and certain characters are "whitewashed" and others have their characters "assassinated." The fact is, this needs to happen because TV audiences by and large are simpler people than that of book audiences. That's not a slight to anyone here, but as a general thing. People like Tyrion because he's the only Lannister who seems to be "good." People like Dany because she's more or less a strong female leader who ISN'T an evil queen like Cersei. People like Jon Snow because well.. Kit Harrington lol.

Whatever GRRM does do or doesn't do with the final two books, it's going to be complicated, drawn out, and most likely going to dissatisfy a lot fo fans. Let's face it, Books 4 and 5 get ridiculed a lot. Why? Because of the pacing, because "nothing happens" even if plenty of others disagree.

The show will not let that happen. They'll have to replace a lot of internal dialogue with external dialogue, and replace a lot of that "slow" stuff with "action" stuff. And yet, if this past episode was any indication, it'll be good. I love the show. I love the books. I can't wait to see how the show concludes the story and likewise, I can't wait to see how the books conclude it. I can keep the two seperate. I think both are deep. GoT is very deep for a TV show, and well, ASOIAF is obviously very deep and even more so.

The ending to the show will no doubt satisfy the "Unsullied," unless the writing staff chokes. Just like, unless GRRM flubs, the ending to the books should satisfy the long time fans.

I personally don't have the patience to wait ten years for two more books to get released either >.>

Also, for the record: it'll be really telling if for seasons 6 and 7, GRRM still writes an episode each season.

I don't think GRRM would allow that, the work of his life to be spoiled in a tv show? I don't buy it.

Why not? I don't think it was his intention, but he might just have overestimated his writing speed and underestimated the speed of the show and now there is nothing much to prevent it.

He basically has two choices now: Help the show to stay as close to the upcoming books as possible or be pissed about it, tell them nothing and twist the story from what he initially told them, to have them make a show that is not spoiling his books. (The third choice would be writing faster, but we know that's unlikely to happen :D )

I don't think GRRM would allow that, the work of his life to be spoiled in a tv show? I don't buy it.

Well he already has allowed it by agreeing to the show, accepting that the show may overtake the books, and telling the show producers how it all ends.

He can't go back in time and agree to the show at a later date so the books stay ahead. Nor is he going to change his own storylines to make the books end differently. All he can do is write the books to the best of his ability and hope that fans who decide to watch the final seasons of the TV series first still enjoy the books for all the added detail and complexity, even if all the major events and endings are spoiled.

You sure he sold the rights to the books he haven't yet written? Im not sure how does that work but I think he would enter some copyright clause that prevents D&D from telling the public the ending of the books.

If the overpassing happens then I think the best choice would be for GRRM to give D&D details about every plotline so they don't ruin the show. Knowing the ending is not enough, they need to know how the story went to that ending. Best choice would be just for GRRM to write all the scripts. :D

Im not sure if I would be able to resist watching the show to not spoil the book for myself. Fortunately its not a problem I need to figure out right now, still a good 2-3 years before the show overpasses the books. At least I hope that GRRM releases the WOW in 2015 before the show can catch up.

If the overpassing happens then I think the best choice would be for GRRM to give D&D details about every plotline so they don't ruin the show.

But, why would GRRM care about the show at all at this point? He has books. They have the show. They brought themselves in a situation which looks like a lose-lose for them. Why does he need to help them? And it's not like they heeded his advices in the past. He can only control the damage that may fall on his medium (the books), but so far the show proved to be very damaging in that aspect. I mean, yeah, it was bringing millions of new readers once, but it's hardly bringing new readers any more. So, if GRRM wants to minimize the damage, perhaps the best thing is to 'allow' the show to be an entirely different beast than the books. D&D seemed to want it once, and now they may very well get the chance to have their wish fulfilled all the way. Hopefully, what they do know about the way ASOIAF ends is not enough for them to suddenly become faithful to the source material.

You sure he sold the rights to the books he haven't yet written? Im not sure how does that work but I think he would enter some copyright clause that prevents D&D from telling the public the ending of the books.

Part of the deal was he had to tell D&D the ending up front otherwise HBO would never have purchased the rights.

You just gave yourself your own answer. GRRM told D&D how the story is going to end and - regardless of what some people here say about D&D - they are fans of the books and have done a pretty good job adapting them, so be prepared to get the ending in the show first, with the major events and results being the same as they will be in the books. How the show gets there and what happens with all the minor details and characters is an entirely different matter.

They will have extensive notes provided by GRRM to work from, and while I don't think there's anything in any contract between HBO and GRRM that says the show producers can't invent their own alternate endings, I doubt that will be the case. The show will most definitely spoil everything about the final book(s) except for a lot of minor details.

Agreed.

He already allowed it buy signing a contract that allows HBO to show the story of ASOIAF on TV. He sold them the TV rights to ASOIAF, not AGOT, ACOK, ASOS, AFFC and ADWD - the entire series. And that includes the last two books. No way would HBO have agreed to the contract if there had been a clause about confidentiality of the last two books.

I think surpassing the books is a blessing in disguise.

Sure, certain things might be painted in broadstroakes.

[...]

The ending to the show will no doubt satisfy the "Unsullied," unless the writing staff chokes. Just like, unless GRRM flubs, the ending to the books should satisfy the long time fans.

I personally don't have the patience to wait ten years for two more books to get released either >.>

Also, for the record: it'll be really telling if for seasons 6 and 7, GRRM still writes an episode each season.

This.

The big irony here is that Martin apparently hates fan fiction and I can't believe why on earth did he decide to sell the rights (not having the books finished on top of that).

I'm really glad he did, I love the TV series, but had I been the writer of ASOIAF I doubt I would've give away the rights at all.

The big irony here is that Martin apparently hates fan fiction and I can't believe why on earth did he decide to sell the rights (not having the books finished on top of that).

I'm really glad he did, I love the TV series, but had I been the writer of ASOIAF I doubt I would've give away the rights at all.

$

Archived