Will Arya get recast at the end of season 5?

King Behind The Wall

I suspect the show will just do what other shows have done: have the actor continue to play the character, but when the character looks in a mirror or whatnot, they'll see their reflection as that of the appearance they have to everyone, thus conveying the glamour or new face while keeping the actor. The X-Files did this for a body-swap episode: David Duchovny and Michael McKean played characters (Mulder and Fletcher, respectively) who wound up swapping bodies (long story). Duchovny continued to play Mulder-in-Fletcher's-body, meaning that despite being stuck in Fletcher's body, Duchovny played him as Mulder, but whenever he looked in the mirror he saw his reflection as Fletcher's body. Pretty easy to do something like this with Arya and her stint as the ugly girl. Maisie- Williams-as-Arya pats her face after the "transformation" and says that she doesn't feel any different, she goes to look in the mirror and sees the face of a severely beaten, disfigured little girl instead of Maisie Williams'. Easy peasy.

Huh. This seems to be at odds with the article earlier linked indicating that Maisie has completely stopped her education--quitting school two years ago and quitting her tutor more recently--since if she's going to attend college, she has her work cut out for her. It also seems at odds with her previously stated desire to focus on her acting right now. If the article is legit, which I doubt, it's very odd that major media and especially major UK media have ignored such a tremendous piece of news.

The weird thing is that that article seems like an April Fool's joke--the random comment from "Victarion83" quoted seems like classic April Fool's joke material, and I can't find anything to substantiate the claim that "Alice Meier" is Maisie Williams' talent agent--but I don't know why it would be posted.

This doesn't sound real, but lets speculate.

Mercy sample chapter spoilers ahead...

At the end of ADWD, Arya is told she will be given a new face and will go off to the playhouse. She then assumes the identity of Mercy. In the chapter from twow, she does something that the fm probably don't approve of, and may have to leave the fm. But from what we've seen in adwd, unless her training has progressed really far since then, Arya can't change her face by herself. Could it be that she is stuck as Mercy after the chapter? This could explain the absence of Maisie in s6 and s7.

but I doubt it. just a thought

I suspect the show will just do what other shows have done: have the actor continue to play the character, but when the character looks in a mirror or whatnot, they'll see their reflection as that of the appearance they have to everyone, thus conveying the glamour or new face while keeping the actor. The X-Files did this for a body-swap episode: David Duchovny and Michael McKean played characters (Mulder and Fletcher, respectively) who wound up swapping bodies (long story). Duchovny continued to play Mulder-in-Fletcher's-body, meaning that despite being stuck in Fletcher's body, Duchovny played him as Mulder, but whenever he looked in the mirror he saw his reflection as Fletcher's body. Pretty easy to do something like this with Arya and her stint as the ugly girl. Maisie- Williams-as-Arya pats her face after the "transformation" and says that she doesn't feel any different, she goes to look in the mirror and sees the face of a severely beaten, disfigured little girl instead of Maisie Williams'. Easy peasy.

I had not thought of that. It does fit the book , since in the ugly little girl chapter Arya mentions twice that she notices with her hands and her tongue that nothing about her appearance, to her, has changed. We don't get the FM POV so I don't know what they see, but when she goes out in Braavos from other people's POV they see the ugly girl.

This can be done on camera , would not confuse me, not sure what the producers think, I have seen it done before , hope they think of it.

If they do the Mercy chapter, and I don't think so, story will have to be reworked, but the same device would work there.

Niether one of them sounds real. It seems to me if college is in the making for her, they would find a way to make it work with her work schedule. & I don't believe anyone would let her drop out!

I think the original site trades in spoof news, so I'd guess it's no more than that. Not to criticise Maisie if that's what she wants to do, but she is on such a roll at the moment and I agree it wouldn't be that difficult to combine acting and education.

Otherwise, it makes no sense to recast such a prominent character, particularly when Maisie is so brilliant and well-liked in the role. The only possible justification I could see is that Arya becomes stuck in another 'face', but that could easily be got over with a solution like Newstar's - or maybe just with a makeup/hairstyle change .

Yeah it would be too confusing to viewers in a visual medium to figure out what is happening, so they'll have her changing face for some missions, then going back to temple of many faces and dialogue scenes etc

I can imagine Jagen doing the kindly man role just for continuity purposes in the visual medium, but then they'll have the Waif taking over training duties about halfway through the season. Jagen may even go on the same ship as Sam to Braavos

I think on 10 season TV series they'll have to make them short missions, plus rather than everything she'll just get shown what is revelevant to whatever she does she she returns to Westeros. It's one of those things that are easier to describe in books than a TV show because you are in the characters mind in the books but TV works differently

I aslo expect to see an effect Iv'e seen on another show where if the character whose face she is wearing looks in a mirror it would be Arya's/Maisies reflection just to emphasise it is Arya etc EDIT: Or they could do the reverse as someone above has cited the X-Files examples, which personally I think is more likely, same thing may be done with Mance Rayder/Rattleshirt. I didn't realise Rattleshirt was in Mances tent at the end of last season

I can see the sense of why they are having to age peripheral characters Tommen and Myrcella and re-cast the Mountain but it would be too much for one of the thus far central actors and fan favourites like Maisie Williams, it would be too much like re-casting Jaimie or Tyrion Lannister or Dany etc

Archived