Cricket XXIII

Xray the Enforcer

Close-run thing there, although it possibly wasn't as close as the result made it look: with so many wickets, including Hales and Morgan, gone England were always up against it and when Bopara went it looked like game over even though they scored another eighteen runs or so off the over.

The New Zealand lightning decision turns out to have been significant.

While there may have been occasional matches when Dernbach has been effective, I think he's been so much of a liability in so many matches that I've no idea how he still keeps getting picked. If he hadn't delivered such a catastrophic over in this match England might just have managed to chase down that total. The BBC text commentary had a statistic that he now has the joint worst economy rate in T20 history (presumably by bowlers who have bowled more than a certain number of overs) along with Jacob Oram, admittedly he does always bowl at the times when the batsmen are targeting the bowlers but surely England can find a better death bowler somewhere.

The turning point in the game probably came in the eighth over when Parnell dismissed Hayles and Ali off consecutive deliveries. England at that stage were maintaining a run rate of over ten. With two new batsmen at the crease, the next five overs yielded 36 runs. Superb bowling by both Parnell and Tahir.

haha Chris Jordan's catch just then was ridiculous

ETA: England should really be winning from here...

ET2: Ended up with the Dutch on 133-5. Surely, surely not even England can piss this one away?

Yeah. England have somehow managed to piss this one away. Bopara was their last hope.

Eta. Brilliant performance from the Netherlands. They have shown great character to come back the way they have after that heavy defeat to Sri Lanka and probably should have beaten South Africa as well.

Where do England go now? They desperately need a new coach and the only person on god's Earth who wants the job is patently not up to it, and even the ECB seem to have noticed. Could we see a toe-curlingly humiliating about turn on Pietersen, that allegedly being one of the main sticking points for those who've ruled themselves out of contention?

Both Bangladesh and Australia are sucking and out of the WC. So don't have anything riding on this cup anymore. It's T20, so don't particularly care anyway, but I was hoping for atleast one of them to go through.

Bangladesh batting decently so far against the aussies, hopefully they can bowl well and contain the aussie batsmen. Maxwell have been in a mighty form, and surely one of the other batsmen will turn up at some point in this cup!

Hoping for a Bangladesh win! Taking some aussie scalp will soothe the soul.

haha Chris Jordan's catch just then was ridiculous

ETA: England should really be winning from here...

ET2: Ended up with the Dutch on 133-5. Surely, surely not even England can piss this one away?

This is why I stopped posting in this thread.

Haha great to have you back mate.

Virtual quarterfinal tonight between West Indies and Pakistan. It's a shame both teams can't progress...I think I'll be cheering on whoever wins this match to win the tournament. Nothing against the other teams, but these two are great fun to watch, particularly the explosive batting.

Where do England go now? They desperately need a new coach and the only person on god's Earth who wants the job is patently not up to it, and even the ECB seem to have noticed. Could we see a toe-curlingly humiliating about turn on Pietersen, that allegedly being one of the main sticking points for those who've ruled themselves out of contention?

Who knows. Surely we can't end up with the King of Spain in charge; that would just be a disaster... but I can't see any other viable options at the moment.

If anyone from the ECB is reading, I'm available, I have lost fewer matches in charge of a team than Gilo, I've got the same level of experience as any of your other applicants, and I'm prepared to back your stance on KP. For a price.

Surely, surely not even England can piss this one away?

This is why I stopped posting in this thread.

I'm sure England were #1 in the World before you started posting in the cricket threads...

England's next international match is in May, an ODI against Scotland as a warm-up for the Sri Lankan tour. Can I put in a request for a prediction about how England are guaranteed victory in that game?

It's not looking very promising. Making major decisions about the future of the team before even asking for applications always seemed like something that might put off some of the candidates.

It's not looking very promising. Making major decisions about the future of the team before even asking for applications always seemed like something that might put off some of the candidates.

Not to worry - it seems Mickey Arthur is interested if no one else is (other than Giles of course).

Archived