Cricket XXIII

Xray the Enforcer

Considering they just lost to Hong Kong I'm not sure their chances are high.

It's a very good result for Hong Kong, there seem to be an increasing number of Associate nations capable of competing with the weaker 'Full Members', I don't think Ireland beating the Test-playing Zimbabwe even counted as a shock nowadays. It's a pity the ICC's attitude towards supporting the Associates is so erratic, sometimes they give them good opportunities but they also seem to get ignored a lot and every global tournament seems to have a different qualifying criteria.

Spoke too soon. But then again, I am not at all surprised. This has been happening since the inception of this god forsaken team. This bloody team makes me feel so bipolar.

I still think the team will get a win in the group stage. They have the talents, but not the consistency, as has been the case for quite a while. At this stage, I'd be just happy to see Bangladesh put up a good fight against bigger teams.

I honestly didn't think Bangladesh would sink this low. None of the HK cricketers are professionals as far as I'm aware. They're in for some major humiliation next week, though on the bright side, this is something they're well accustomed to.

India-Pak should be an interesting match tonight. Sadly, I won't be able to watch it due to work.

I honestly didn't think Bangladesh would sink this low. None of the HK cricketers are professionals as far as I'm aware. They're in for some major humiliation next week, though on the bright side, this is something they're well accustomed to.

India-Pak should be an interesting match tonight. Sadly, I won't be able to watch it due to work.

They got rolled over by Afghanistan too. Sigh.

Just when you think they've made progress, they do this shit and your faith in the team is back to square one.

I'm going to call it an even day for day one of the Sheffield Shield final.

NSW won the toss and chose to bat. WA have them at 6/242 at stumps. At one stage NSW were 1/180 so that's a fair comeback by WA.

Still, with WA needing to win outright to win the Shield I think it still favours NSW overall.

The batting was awesome by T.Cooper . Netherlands have got themselves into an easier group , hopefully they will cause an upset there . The European countries should really start having an European Cup . T20 or ODI .

India are back with all their strong batsmen in the side which were not available in Asia Cup. Hope they make the difference here .

They lost to Afghanistan in a 50 over game.

This. Sorry, i should've been more clear.

Of coarse, losing to HK in T20 is so much worse...sigh.

5-ish RR

Watching the Ind vs Pak. Pak is looking a bit shaky. Indian batsmen could easily chase down the current RR 5-ish RR. I was hoping for more from pakistan.

Although in the end, i win regardless cause i hate both teams :P

Wow, the Dutch just chased down 190 runs in 13.5 overs. That is some strong work.

I'm not sure what the T20 record total is, but at that run-rate I'm guessing they'd have beaten it if they've had the full 20 overs.

The European countries should really start having an European Cup . T20 or ODI .

It's not a bad idea and it would certainly help the cricket in Ireland/Scotland/Netherlands, unfortunately England are unlikely to be able to fit it into their busy schedule of playing the same opponents in 26 consecutive games.

Yeah, that Netherlands run chase was amazing. They just started hitting sixes right from the beginning and didn't stop. They scored the fastest team 100 runs in T20 history I think, it was in about 6 overs or so.

Yeah biggest score (91) in the batting powerplay in t20 history for the Dutch. It just goes to show that when the nrr matters, teams are capable of producing incredible performances. There was a similar situation a couple of years ago when India chased around 320 in 38 overs against SL. England (and the other teams in that group) should be wary when they come up against the Netherlands.

I missed the match, but sounds like it was a tame performance by Pakistan to give India a nice start to the tournament. I think after a similar performance against India in the last wc, Pakistan went on to thrash Australia (I think!). The matches in this group should be very interesting.

Yeah biggest score (91) in the batting powerplay in t20 history for the Dutch. It just goes to show that when the nrr matters, teams are capable of producing incredible performances. There was a similar situation a couple of years ago when India chased around 320 in 38 overs against SL. England (and the other teams in that group) should be wary when they come up against the Netherlands.

I think after England losing the first game of their home World Cup to the Dutch in 2009 there shouldn't be much chance of them underestimating them. I wonder if the Dutch might be tempted to try similar big hitting in a more normal game just to see if it can come off again, it's a risky strategy but they're likely to need to take risks to be in with a good chance of beating Test teams.

I think they'll have to really have a go. Their bowling is not good enough to keep the Test-level teams to low totals, so they are going to have to really smash it with the batting. And by the looks of it they are capable of hitting the sixes, even against genuine pace and quality spin I think they'll manage, it's just a case of whether the wickets will fall too quickly for it to matter.

For the developing teams I think there's a tendency that you find a few good batsmen before you get the good bowlers. For whatever reason it seems that real quality bowlers are harder to find when you're just starting out. I'm not quite sure why that is - just as a guess maybe it's because bowlers peak earlier in their careers and need to have had good coaching earlier (e.g. school age) or something and the developing teams don't have that infrastructure.

I think they'll have to really have a go. Their bowling is not good enough to keep the Test-level teams to low totals, so they are going to have to really smash it with the batting. And by the looks of it they are capable of hitting the sixes, even against genuine pace and quality spin I think they'll manage, it's just a case of whether the wickets will fall too quickly for it to matter.

For the developing teams I think there's a tendency that you find a few good batsmen before you get the good bowlers. For whatever reason it seems that real quality bowlers are harder to find when you're just starting out. I'm not quite sure why that is - just as a guess maybe it's because bowlers peak earlier in their careers and need to have had good coaching earlier (e.g. school age) or something and the developing teams don't have that infrastructure.

I think bowling is a less natural skill to learn, especially in countries where cricket is not a high profile sport. You really have to start kids young to make bowling with a straight arm feel natural. Whereas batting requires a lot of the same hand-eye coordination skills as you'd need for, say, tennis or baseball. I would say it's possible to take up batting slightly later than bowling and still get good at it, which makes it easier for countries with less developed cricketing infrastructure to spot the talents and train them up.

ST

I agree with the first point. They can't put up a modest score and hope to restrict guys like De Villiers, Sanga and McCullum with their bowling attack. They'll just have to swing hard and hope for a repeat performance if they're to make any sort of impact. I think it's worthwhile getting bowled out for sub-100 scores trying the aggressive approach if it means they can pull off one more upset. Realistically, even that would be a bonus.

There's no doubt that finding good bowlers is extremely difficult. The rules and recent developments in cricket are so much in the batsmens' favour that even mediocre batsmen who have decent reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination (uncoached skills) can produce decent innings. But for bowlers, the skills that are needed for success require not just coaching but also significant bowling experience against strong opposition (which you can't get without a strong first class and sub-first class system).

It looks like NSW have the shield in the bag. They got away with a middle order collapse courtesy of Henriques, and it appears that Hazlewood has ripped out WA's top order. Unless the Marshes produce something substantial, WA are finished. Finally, the natural order is restored to the Sheffield shield with NSW on top. :thumbsup:

Also, disappointing Saturday crowd for the SL-SA match.

Also, disappointing Saturday crowd for the SL-SA match.

Saturday is work day for most people. It's usually Friday that people get off. Still you are right, I am surprised that the crowd haven't turned up for an SA SL match. Chittagong is fairly regional area, so that probably has something to do with it. But really, there should be more people.

SL's highest score vs SA in T20. Should be interesting, SL has more spinners so they should have a good go at defending the 165, but hard to see SA not getting there in the end. Apparently SL never lost a T20 where they scored more that 160!

This should be good :)

Archived