Bakker XXIV: To Be Human is to Be Damned

lokisnow

Quick question. What do you guys think the tekne actually is? A supercomputer? I have no idea as to what exactly it is, can somebody give me your ideas?

I think it's just science and technology, though I'm guessing since the Ark is alive it probably involves lots of weird and slimy chambers instead of the kind of labs we'd use.

Here's what Shae says about it in the False Sun:

A new Age was dawning. Since the First Father, Men had always spoken to command the Ground. Since the Shamans, they had called and Reality had answered, a brother, a deceiver, an assassin. But there was another way, one without the treacherous hooks of meaning, one built up out of the granules of existence, the way termites raise their multiform wattle. A power that could be crafted and shaped, that could be applied to its own proliferation, and so accelerate, radiating out across the span of need and desire. A power that could uproot cities and hurl them across the Void.

The Tekne.

Mechanism. Only mechanism could save their Voices.

Now it's interesting that Titirga thinks the Tekne has possessed the Consult, though this might just be Titirga's misunderstanding of what Science is when the Consult speaks of it:

“So tell me , if we are possessed, who is our new owner?”

“The Tekne,” the Archidemu Sohoncu said with grim confidence. “The Mangaecca have been enslaved. You have been enslaved.”

I was told not to read The False Sun until after The Unholy Consult comes out, because spoilers? What do you guys think.

Also, the tekne is obviously skynet. :P

I think you'll be fine. There's background information but I don't know if any of it figures that strongly into what is coming in TUC.

I was told not to read The False Sun until after The Unholy Consult comes out, because spoilers? What do you guys think.

Also, the tekne is obviously skynet. :P

I highly doubt Bakker would have released the short story on his own blog and the website for the series, with no mention that people should wait to read it until his next book comes out (which would be an absurd thing to do anyway), if in-fact it did have spoilers. It's also kind of integral to understanding precisely what's going on with regards to the Consult and how it came to be.

Did he say such? I imagine if he did it's because The False Sun introduces more about the Inverse Fire than has been revealed in the series proper. But otherwise, there's nothing in it that hadn't been detailed beforehand in the books. It's just Shae and Aurang hanging out doing dastardly Consult stuff.

Uh, I believe Bakker was the one who said people may want to hold off on reading it. You guys need to get off the mans nus. It's unseemly.

Yeah, I'd love to see that quote (and implying that I'm on Bakker's nuts is hilarious, I'm probably one of the most vocal people in this thread as far as calling out Bakker on flaws).

Yeah, I'd love to see that quote (and implying that I'm on Bakker's nuts is hilarious, I'm probably one of the most vocal people in this thread as far as calling out Bakker on flaws).

Oh I thought being on someone's nuts meant you were riding them too hard.

But it's more like you are sucking up to them?

I think Bakker's work has earned both praise and criticism. There are issues with the series but I think Bakker is trying to do something more with fantasy and raise the bar. That in itself deserves praise when other authors are willing to personally flood the market with mediocrity.

I'm still going with the idea that it takes a lot of resources (energy, souls, fuel, something) to keep the No God running.

The Consult couldn't afford to lose that day as it would've meant either the No God devours them or It just powers down and dies off.

That sounds like more of a bummer than my theory - therefore by Bakker world logic, it is more likely the actual case! So you're probably right!

Dunno, they do seem to be kinda stupid. Surely they noticed a good portion of their vision disappear when the Ancient North was destroyed? Ajokli seems to know what's up.

Hold out your your arm to your side, with your thumb sticking out at a horizontal angle - now slowly bring your arm while you look straight forward so your thumb crosses your vision at about the middle.

At a certain point the tip of your thumb dissapears.

How often do you notice that absence?

Uh, I believe Bakker was the one who said people may want to hold off on reading it. You guys need to get off the mans nus. It's unseemly.

Yep,

SEVERE SPOILER ALERT. The Second Apocalypse is big, so big that the narrative and thematic dimensions only come into collective focus here and there. ”The False Sun” is a story about the origins of the Consult, and so brings together the historical and metaphysical dimensions of the greater saga in a decisive way. Nothing is spoiled in terms of plot, but in terms of setting, this story cuts against the way the details of the World have been rationed over the course of the series. Drawing the curtain back on Golgotterath is something I’ve reserved for The Unholy Consult.

Thus the spoiler alert: Reading “The False Sun” will have a profound impact on your reading of The Unholy Consult, and if you are as jealous of your narrative surprises as I am, you might want to set this story on the back-burner.

Archived