Moments of Foreshadowing 8 [TPatQ spoilers]

Lord Varys

Another minor addition to the theory on the duel of Randyll-Euron in the manner of Gwayne-Daemon:

In the first duel, both side had VS swords (Lady Forlorn vs Blackfyre). In the second duel, Euron should use a VS sword as well. The Knight has a VS sword but Euron made him a lord by giving him one of the Shields. He maynot participate in the Battle of Oldtown. I have a crackpot theory that Garlan has the Widow's Wail with him. He wore the armor of a dead king in the Blackwater. Why not wield the sword of another dead king to defeat the ironborn? I think after Sam slays Euron, he will use his political skills and request Widow's Wail for the NW by the right of kill from fAegon. He will have to give it to Sam to be not ashamed in front of his lords. This way, Widow's Wail will start its journey North.

Lady Forlorn was wielded by Lord Corbray in the Trident where he was wounded, but his son (Lyn Corbray) took up the sword and avenged his father. He also charged and killed Lewyn Martell of the KG (although he was severely wounded by that time). I think Sam avenging Randyll fits this parallel.

“You have business at the Twins?” the knight asked.

“Salt pork for the wedding feast, if it please you, ser.” The Hound mumbled his reply, his eyes down, his face hidden.

“Salt pork never pleases me.” The pitchfork knight gave Clegane only the most cursory glance, and paid no attention at all to Arya, but he looked long and hard at Stranger. The stallion was no plow horse, that was plain at a glance. One of the squires almost wound up in the mud when the big black courser bit at his own mount. “How did you come by this beast?” the pitchfork knight demanded.

“M’lady told me to bring him, ser,” Clegane said humbly. “He’s a wedding gift for young Lord Tully.”

“What lady? Who is it you serve?”

“Old Lady Whent, ser.”

“Does she think she can buy Harrenhal back with a horse?” the knight asked. “Gods, is there any fool like an old fool?”

Ser Donnell Haigh (the pitchfork knight) was many times unhorsed by the Hound in tourneys and he was nearly killed by him in a melee. It is very dumb of him that he does not recognize the Hound or his horse Stranger. Given the symbolic meaning of the god Stranger as death, Ser Donnel is not be able to see his death, although it is in front of him.

Taking Harrenhal back with the wild horse of the Hound called Stranger is interesting. Jaime feared that neither Lancel nor Bonifer Hasty could hope to stand against the Hound and he had this feeling of Stranger coming to Harrenhal.

“Can you hold Harrenhal with just your Holy Hundred?”

“I anticipate no difficulty. The Crone will light our way, and the Warrior will give strength to our arms.”

Or else the Stranger will turn up for the whole holy lot of you.

They pray well, I suppose, but can they fight?

“If it is Sandor Clegane that we encounter, what would you have me do?”

Pray hard, Jaime thought, and run.

Does this mean Sandor will return to Harrenhal?

I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow.

“What are you doing?”

Petyr straightened his cloak. “Kissing a snow maid.”

GHH refers to Sansa as a maid. LF calls her a snow maid.

In legend, Brandon the Builder had used giants to help raise Winterfell.

“The glass was locked in frames, no? Twigs are your answer. Peel them and cross them and use bark to tie them together into frames. I’ll show you.” He moved through the garden, gathering up twigs and sticks and shaking the snow from them. When he had enough, he stepped over both walls with a single long stride and squatted on his heels in the middle of the yard. Sansa came closer to watch what he was doing. His hands were deft and sure, and before long he had a crisscrossing latticework of twigs, very like the one that roofed the glass gardens of Winterfell.

He [The Titan of Braavos] could step right over the walls of Winterfell.

The device painted on the shield was one Sansa did not know; a grey stone head with fiery eyes, upon a light green field. “My grandfather’s shield,” Petyr explained when he saw her gazing at it. “His own father was born in Braavos and came to the Vale as a sellsword in the hire of Lord Corbray, so my grandfather took the head of the Titan as his sigil when he was knighted.”

Brandon the Builder used giants to help raise Winterfell. LF, whose family sigil is the head of a Titan, helped Sansa in raising Winterfell from snow. Arya thought that the Titan of Braavos could easily step over the Walls of Winterfell and LF literally steps over the walls of the Winterfell they are building from snow.

Winterfell is the seat of House Stark,” Sansa told her husband-to-be. “The great castle of the north.”

“It’s not so great.” The boy knelt before the gatehouse. “Look, here comes a giant to knock it down.” He stood his doll in the snow and moved it jerkily. “Tromp tromp I’m a giant, I’m a giant,” he chanted. “Ho ho ho, open your gates or I’ll mash them and smash them.” Swinging the doll by the legs, he knocked the top off one gatehouse tower and then the other.

It was more than Sansa could stand. “Robert, stop that.” Instead he swung the doll again, and a foot of wall exploded. She grabbed for his hand but she caught the doll instead. There was a loud ripping sound as the thin cloth tore. Suddenly she had the doll’s head, Robert had the legs and body, and the rag-and-sawdust stuffing was spilling in the snow.

Lord Robert’s mouth trembled. “You killlllllllled him,” he wailed.

“You know why they call her Gatehouse Ami? She raises her portcullis for every knight who happens by.”

I think the savaging of the doll is heavy with the symbolism of an attempted rape to Sansa. The giant (doll) aims for the gatehouse. I think the doll represents a penis and the gatehouse as suggested from Ami represents vagina (or skirts lifting up to allow the intercourse). The rag-and-sawdust spilling out from the doll represents sperm/piss/blood squirting out. We know the image of how Gared’s blood sprayed in the snow and how Jon pissed on the snow.

I think LF will try to rape Sansa and Sansa will cut his penis. Go get him girl.

“If this Young Wolf has the wits the gods gave a toad, he’ll make me [The Hound] a lordling and beg me to enter his service. He needs me, though he may not know it yet. Maybe I’ll even kill Gregor for him, he’d like that.”

“He’ll never take you,” she [Arya] spat back. “Not you.”

The Hound kidnaps Arya and talks about entering the service of Robb and killing Gregor. Arya replies that he will never take him. The emphasis on you belongs to GRRM. Robb would never take the Hound but he would probably take Sandor, if you know what I mean. The Hound is dead and Sandor is alive. Nymeria is still fighting Robb’s war, taking out Freys and Bloody Mummers. I think when Arya returns, she will take Sandor to kill UnGregor.

“If this Young Wolf has the wits the gods gave a toad, he’ll make me [The Hound] a lordling and beg me to enter his service. He needs me, though he may not know it yet. Maybe I’ll even kill Gregor for him, he’d like that.”

“He’ll never take you,” she [Arya] spat back. “Not you.”

The Hound kidnaps Arya and talks about entering the service of Robb and killing Gregor. Arya replies that he will never take him. The emphasis on you belongs to GRRM. Robb would never take the Hound but he would probably take Sandor, if you know what I mean. The Hound is dead and Sandor is alive. Nymeria is still fighting Robb’s war, taking out Freys and Bloody Mummers. I think when Arya returns, she will take Sandor to kill UnGregor.

Or perhaps take service with the Youngest Wolf Rickon and train him at arms

I dreamt of a maid at a feast with purple serpents in her hair, venom dripping from their fangs. And later I dreamt that maid again, slaying a savage giant in a castle built of snow.

What are you doing?

Petyr straightened his cloak. Kissing a snow maid.

GHH refers to Sansa as a maid. LF calls her a snow maid.

In legend, Brandon the Builder had used giants to help raise Winterfell.

The glass was locked in frames, no? Twigs are your answer. Peel them and cross them and use bark to tie them together into frames. Ill show you. He moved through the garden, gathering up twigs and sticks and shaking the snow from them. When he had enough, he stepped over both walls with a single long stride and squatted on his heels in the middle of the yard. Sansa came closer to watch what he was doing. His hands were deft and sure, and before long he had a crisscrossing latticework of twigs, very like the one that roofed the glass gardens of Winterfell.

He [The Titan of Braavos] could step right over the walls of Winterfell.

The device painted on the shield was one Sansa did not know; a grey stone head with fiery eyes, upon a light green field. My grandfathers shield, Petyr explained when he saw her gazing at it. His own father was born in Braavos and came to the Vale as a sellsword in the hire of Lord Corbray, so my grandfather took the head of the Titan as his sigil when he was knighted.

Brandon the Builder used giants to help raise Winterfell. LF, whose family sigil is the head of a Titan, helped Sansa in raising Winterfell from snow. Arya thought that the Titan of Braavos could easily step over the Walls of Winterfell and LF literally steps over the walls of the Winterfell they are building from snow.

Winterfell is the seat of House Stark, Sansa told her husband-to-be. The great castle of the north.

Its not so great. The boy knelt before the gatehouse. Look, here comes a giant to knock it down. He stood his doll in the snow and moved it jerkily. Tromp tromp Im a giant, Im a giant, he chanted. Ho ho ho, open your gates or Ill mash them and smash them. Swinging the doll by the legs, he knocked the top off one gatehouse tower and then the other.

It was more than Sansa could stand. Robert, stop that. Instead he swung the doll again, and a foot of wall exploded. She grabbed for his hand but she caught the doll instead. There was a loud ripping sound as the thin cloth tore. Suddenly she had the dolls head, Robert had the legs and body, and the rag-and-sawdust stuffing was spilling in the snow.

Lord Roberts mouth trembled. You killlllllllled him, he wailed.

You know why they call her Gatehouse Ami? She raises her portcullis for every knight who happens by.

I think the savaging of the doll is heavy with the symbolism of an attempted rape to Sansa. The giant (doll) aims for the gatehouse. I think the doll represents a penis and the gatehouse as suggested from Ami represents vagina (or skirts lifting up to allow the intercourse). The rag-and-sawdust spilling out from the doll represents sperm/piss/blood squirting out. We know the image of how Gareds blood sprayed in the snow and how Jon pissed on the snow.

I think LF will try to rape Sansa and Sansa will cut his penis. Go get him girl.

I don't think he's going to rape her (at least not in the prototypical violent way) but I do think the savage giant going to seduce the maid. And I'm beginning to think that Sansa is going to go along with it.

Wishful thinking maybe:

Nymeria and her pack will be part of the Red Wedding 2.0 in Riverrun. Perhaps Arya will be our POV through Nymeria.

“The Red Wedding was the Young Wolf’s work. He changed into a beast before our eyes and tore out the throat of my cousin Jinglebell, a harmless simpleton. He would have slain my lord father too, if Ser Wendel had not put himself in the way.”

Lord Wyman blinked back tears. “Wendel was always a brave boy. I was not surprised to learn he died a hero.”

The enormity of the lie made Davos gasp. “Is it your claim that Robb Stark killed Wendel Manderly?” he asked the Frey.

“And many more. Mine own son Tytos was amongst them, and my daughter’s husband. When Stark changed into a wolf, his northmen did the same. The mark of the beast was on them all. Wargs birth other wargs with a bite, it is well-known. It was all my brothers and I could do to put them down before they slew us all.”

This is the official Frey story about the Red Wedding. Sounds like foreshadowing, of another Stark "changing into a wolf" and slaying them all..

Now of course Wendell is no longer alive to “save” Lord Walder.

Besides, accusing them of having the “mark of the beast”. Lets recall what happened to the last guy who did that:

“Then you had best be on your way, boy.” Slynt laughed, dribbling porridge down his chest. “Greyguard’s a good place for the likes of you, I’m thinking. Well away from decent godly folk. The mark of the beast is on you, bastard.

(…)

No, unhand me. He’s just a boy, a bastard. His father was a traitor. The mark of the beast is on him, that wolf of his Let go of me!

(…)

Janos Slynt twisted his neck around to stare up at him. “Please, my lord. Mercy. I’ll … I’ll go, I will, I …”

No, thought Jon. You closed that door. Longclaw descended.

Lord Walder will die the same way, begging for mercy..

I would have expected you to depart with the Freys.”

“That one up there’s a Frey,” the singer said, nodding at Lord Emmon, “and this castle seems a nice snug place to pass the winter.

(…)

“You should get on famously with my aunt,” said Jaime. “If you hope to winter here, see that your playing pleases Lady Genna. She’s the one that matters.”

“Not you?”

“My place is with the king. I shall not stay here long.”

“I’m sorry to hear that, my lord. I know better songs than ‘The Rains of Castamere.’ I could have played you . . . oh, all sorts o’ things.”

Tom sevens, the BWB´s Spy in Riverrun will be the one that coordinates the massacre just like the Red Wedding, this time playing another song..

“There’s a singer come to Riverrun, calls himself Rymund the Rhymer, he’s made a song of the fight. Doubtless you’ll hear it sung tonight, my lady. ‘Wolf in the Night,’ this Rymund calls it.”

(…)

Rymund the Rhymer sang through all the courses, sparing her the need to talk. He closed with the song he had written about Robb’s victory at Oxcross. “And the stars in the night were the eyes of his wolves, and the wind itself was their song.” Between the verses, Rymund threw back his head and howled, and by the end, half of the hall was howling

Nymeria´s Pack is close

By now the Blackfish could be ten leagues downstream.

“You have to find him,” insisted Emmon Frey.

“He’ll be found.” Jaime spoke with a certainty he did not feel. “I have hounds and hunters sniffing after him even now.” Ser Addam Marbrand was leading the search on the south side of the river, Ser Dermot of the Rainwood on the north.

The next day Ser Dermot of the Rainwood returned to the castle, empty-handed. When asked what he’d found, he answered, “Wolves. Hundreds of the bloody beggars.” He’d lost two sentries to them. The wolves had come out of the dark to savage them. “Armed men in mail and boiled leather, and yet the beasts had no fear of them. Before he died, Jate said the pack was led by a she-wolf of monstrous size. A direwolf, to hear him tell it. The wolves got in amongst our horse lines too. The bloody bastards killed my favorite bay.”

“A ring of fires round your camp might keep them off,” said Jaime, though he wondered. Could Ser Dermot’s direwolf be the same beast that had mauled Joffrey near the crossroads?

no ring of fire or armed men in mail and boiled lethear will keep them off....

I hope it comes true..it would be epic.

ETA:

after all there is Foreshadowing of Arya playing a part in house Frey´s destruction:

Each night before sleep, she murmured her prayer into her pillow. “Ser Gregor,” it went. “Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei.” She would have whispered the names of the Freys of the Crossing too, if she had known them. One day I’ll know, she told herself, and then I’ll kill them all.

Since killing Walder Frey will trigger the dispute over the Twins.. probably solved by a fratricide conflict between the different factions within house Frey..

It would be in some way of fulfilling Arya´s list.

Btw, the battle of Oxcross was the one in which Daven´s Father, Stafford Lannister died.

“Ser Lancel,” Joff said, “tell her of this outrage.”

Sansa had always thought Lancel Lannister comely and well spoken, but there was neither pity nor kindness in the look he gave her. “Using some vile sorcery, your brother fell upon Ser Stafford Lannister with an army of wargs, not three days ride from Lannisport. Thousands of good men were butchered as they slept, without the chance to lift sword. After the slaughter, the northmen feasted on the flesh of the slain.”

(...)

“You Starks are as unnatural as those wolves of yours. I’ve not forgotten how your monster savaged me.”

“That was Arya’s wolf,” she said. “Lady never hurt you, but you killed her anyway.”

it´s too much.

ETA;

The battle is clearly linked to Daven (since his father was killed, and he has been letting his hair grow since..)

A direwolf played a very key role in that battle

Your brother had his direwolf with him, but I suspect that’s as far as it went. The northmen crept into my uncle’s camp and cut his horse lines, and Lord Stark sent his wolf among them. Even war-trained destriers went mad. Knights were trampled to death in their pavilions, and the rabble woke in terror and fled, casting aside their weapons to run the faster.

“How did the king ever take the Tooth?” Ser Perwyn Frey asked his bastard brother. “That’s a hard strong keep, and it commands the hill road.”

“He never took it. He slipped around it in the night. It’s said the direwolf showed him the way, that Grey Wind of his. The beast sniffed out a goat track that wound down a defile and up along beneath a ridge, a crooked and stony way, yet wide enough for men riding single file. The Lannisters in their watchtowers got not so much a glimpse of them.

“There’s some say that after the battle, the king cut out Stafford Lannister’s heart and fed it to the wolf.”

“I would not believe such tales,” Catelyn said sharply. “My son is no savage.”

Robb was no savage, Arya on the other hand....

I think all this quotes foreshadow Nymeria having a role in the attack during Daven´s wedding..

Perhaps Riverrun will side with Aegon in the upcoming Dance...

The wide arch of the Water Gate came into view, and she heard the creak of heavy chains as the great iron portcullis was winched upward. It rose slowly as they approached, and Catelyn saw that the lower half of it was red with rust. --from Robb's entry into Riverrun

I don't think he's going to rape her (at least not in the prototypical violent way) but I do think the savage giant going to seduce the maid. And I'm beginning to think that Sansa is going to go along with it.

He will attempt to rape her and that will be his final mistake. I really think that while they were making the snow castle, LF dropped his guard for the first time. He saw Sansa playing on the snow and she is much prettier than Cat. He returned to his childhood and played "May I come into your castle" with her, just like he played all the silly games with Cat and Lysa. I think Sansa will be remarkably more beautiful in her wedding with HtH and LF will drop his guard again. This time, Sansa will make a Varys of him.

Ser Lambert Turnberry appeared with a patch over his right eye, swearing that he would wear it until he could bring her the head of her dwarf brother.

This foreshadows Euron having an actual reason for wearing an eye patch, when he doesn't need it, rather than just being a hipster pirate.

Ser Lambert Turnberry appeared with a patch over his right eye, swearing that he would wear it until he could bring her the head of her dwarf brother.

This foreshadows Euron having an actual reason for wearing an eye patch, when he doesn't need it, rather than just being a hipster pirate.

I think that is a good indication for Euron dying in Oldtown and fAegon being crowned; at the same time Dany and Tyrion are landing on the Vale.

Did I say that?” Lord Petyr cut the blood orange in two with his dagger and offered half to Sansa. “The lads are far too treacherous to be part of any such scheme . . . and Osmund has become especially unreliable since he joined the Kingsguard. That white cloak does things to a man, I find. Even a man like him.” He tilted his chin back and squeezed the blood orange, so the juice ran down into his mouth. “I love the juice but I loathe the sticky fingers,” he complained, wiping his hands. “Clean hands, Sansa. Whatever you do, make certain your hands are clean.”

Sansa spooned up some juice from her own orange.

Now it is quite obvious what the juice of blood orange symbolizes: blood.

As Littlefinger tries to drink the juice of the blood orange, but it gets all messy and his fingers get sticky and he quickly wipes his hands. Now to me foreshadows that despite trying to cover up the evidence of what he has done the crimes Littlefinger has committed can be traced back to him.

Now Sansa on the other hand uses a spoon to get the juice and doesn't get her hands sticky. Does this mean that when Sansa chooses to play the game and the shady and perhaps the ruthless things she will do won't be traced back at her and evidently be better at keeping her hands clean than Littlefinger?

He will attempt to rape her and that will be his final mistake. I really think that while they were making the snow castle, LF dropped his guard for the first time. He saw Sansa playing on the snow and she is much prettier than Cat. He returned to his childhood and played "May I come into your castle" with her, just like he played all the silly games with Cat and Lysa. I think Sansa will be remarkably more beautiful in her wedding with HtH and LF will drop his guard again. This time, Sansa will make a Varys of him.

That's pretty much what all the Sansa fans want, right? And for sure 90 percent of the readers are expecting something like that. Me? I think the George is going to turn Sansa into the one Stark we stop rooting for.

Paper Weaver, Good job, you picked up a few hints I missed.

Suddenly she had the doll’s head, Robert had the legs and body, and the rag-and-sawdust stuffing was spilling in the snow.

"Though I do wish he had a better name than Littlefinger. How little it is it do you know?"

"His finger?" She [sansa] blushed again. "I don't . . . I never . . ."

Sansa cutting his littlefinger is something I missed. Sansa does behead the giant, and I think Sansa will be able to answer Randa's question later on, although she will have left LF a head shorter.

That's pretty much what all the Sansa fans want, right? And for sure 90 percent of the readers are expecting something like that. Me? I think the George is going to turn Sansa into the one Stark we stop rooting for.

I don't think so. In Sansa's last POV in AFfC, she notices his breath smells like wine instead of the usual mint when he made her betrothal. He is drinking, indicating that he is actually loathe to give her up in a similar vein to Viserys giving away Dany in marriage.

Forgive me, Father. Robb, Arya, Bran . . . forgive me, I cannot help you. --from the end of Jon's last chapter in Game when Jeor asks him to recommit to the NW

Does the fact that Robb only named three of the five Stark children foreshadow their deaths? Robb died. Does this line suggest that Arya will die...

You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

...and that Bran will die, or at least be presumed dead? And if so, does this line suggest that Sansa and Rickon will survive ASOIAF?

Forgive me, Father. Robb, Arya, Bran . . . forgive me, I cannot help you. --from the end of Jon's last chapter in Game when Jeor asks him to recommit to the NW

Does the fact that Robb only named three of the five Stark children foreshadow their deaths? Robb died. Does this line suggest that Arya will die...

You'll be sewing all through winter. When the spring thaw comes, they will find your body with a needle still locked tight between your frozen fingers."

...and that Bran will die, or at least be presumed dead? And if so, does this line suggest that Sansa and Rickon will survive ASOIAF?

All three can be considered dead. Robb is actually dead, Bran is presumed dead and "Arya" is or may be dead soon, as "No-one" is slowly born. (even though I doubt she will remain no-one)

As to the Petyr's gonna rape or attempt to rape Sansa foreshadowing there's this bit from Sansa's last chapter in Game...

That was when she realized she was naked. She crouched down, trying to cover herself with her hands, as her door began to swing open, creaking, the point of the greatsword poking through . . .

I'm not buying it though...

Archived