Opinion of Aegon

The Fresh PtwP

He's young and naive. He listened to Tyrion, while he should be with Dany instead of being with the GC.

He is supposed to be 18 now. Which is strange, since Tyrion noticed him as 15 or 16.

Tyrion thought Jon was 12 when he first met him. :dunno:

I think that he's going to be a cocky little shit and that he definitely is being set up to be the ideal king the perfect prince. The problem that perfect and ideal only work in children's fairy tells and singers songs. The only people that believe in such are children young girls and fools and I could make a very strong case that all three are one in the same. Anything that looks too good to be true is always set up that way for a very bad and nasty fall.Aegon is going to get an even bigger head after his stroke of brilliant luck with Storm's end. He's already full of himself because of his getting the Golden Company to march west with out the aid of dragons nor the marriage of the silver queen the would legitimize him in the eyes of the world. Only to get worse when Adrianne gets to Storm's End and they meet. HE's definetly her type pretty with the reputation of being a fighter and he's educated while coming from an ancient line. She's going to have his head so twisted around it's not even going to be funny. Then he meets the little slut Mageraty. She's going to be whisphering in his ear about how her family can field 100,000 men where as the Martells who are related to him by birth owe him their swords for that reason alone that she would be a much better match and that their family can help him conquer the West giving him access to vast amounts of wealth. That way he's not dependent on the wealth of the cheesemonger nor that of the spider. HE could be his own man. With the wealth of house lannister at his hand he could feed the realm and still finance any military campaign he wants. Take Casterly Rock and he will have truly lived up to his namesake and his a conquer indeed.Aegon strikes me as a man that doesn't know his own mind. That's a dangerous thing in a king that has to relies do deeply on the advice of others. Who's to say that they aren't twisting or shaping their advice for their own terms. He spent his youth listening to the advice of Jon and that of Lemore. While on the cusp of him taking the throne he meets Tyrion and he tells him to mistrust all. He seems like the type of lad that takes advice to heart. HE's going to end his days like dany in a pad cell seeing swords in every shadow and suspicion in every man woman's eyes. All that mistrust will sour his belly and keep him lying awake in the black of night.Yet he will have reason to be mistrustful, his younger and more world cousin or brother depending on who you talk to is always going to be a threat to his throne. Or his aunt if he doesn't make common cause with her. Jon who has something that Aegon will never have. A name even though it's a bastards name he's been recognized by the entire realm as Ned Starks bastard. He's the right age to be the long lost younger brother of the boy who got his little royal brains dashed out against a wall. He has a visible mark of being a stark even if he's not trueborn to the male line of the house he still has a direwolf prowling at his heels. Where as Aegon doesn't have even a dragon. If he does get a dragon he will get it at the hands of his aunt.To sum it all up Aegon's days are numbered.

:agree: Aegon's brashness and cockiness will be the death of him. Either he dies in a head-on rush or Daenerys feeds him to Drogon.

So most of the Aegon beef comes from the cyvasse game which I've already covered, and his description by Varys which he had no control over...

I gave a list of reasons beyond the cyvasse game that you apparently have chosen to ignore. Even without Varys's description it's clear that Aegon is severely deficient.

The cyvasse game is not trivial, it exposes Aegon as being ill-tempered, overly entitled, lacking in introspection, and easily manipulated.

Really?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it was originally Jon Connington's plan to go to Storm's End. If anything, Jon Connington is the idiot then. Aegon only insisted that he lead the men after he found out about the plans. Aegon may be impatient but there is a certain common sense in his presence. If they take Storm's End successfully, people will remember the valiant young Prince boldly claiming what's his by birth. That will attract many new followers.

It's a disaster only if Aegon follows in Loras Tyrell's footsteps and gets himself toasted. But I think Connington will be there to make sure that that doesn't happen.

Then Aegon ultimately was the stupid one for lacking the common sense to tell JonCon to wait until his full forces were together again. If he wants to lead then he has to take responsibility as the leader. He may get lucky with Storm's End but eventually his luck will run out because, again, he is deficient in critical areas and doesn't have anything else.

I don't buy what this punk Aegon is selling.

was inexperienced and too trusting, but we see that changing. I'm rooting for him kid is determined and eager to prove himself and has a good moral compass. Best thing is he is finally starting to take charge and act like a King. I hope he doesn't end up like robb time for the targs to step up now.

Agreed. I love Daenerys but unfortunalety Westeros laws won't allow her to be Queen and Aegon (fake or real) may be the best Targaryen for the IT.

He's a spoiled brat who isn't anything like the perfect prince Varys described.

- Getting mad at Tyrion and tipping over the cyvasse table and ordering Tyrion to pick up the pieces - if he wants to be king he's going to have to deal with people far worse than Tyrion. He can't control his temper over a board game he's not fit to be a good ruler.

- Thinking he's automatically entitled to Dany. What an asshole.

- Being touted as having learned to fight as befits a knight yet when the storm men landed on the boat, what did he do? He froze and stood there with his mouth hanging open. It was Tyrion who had to jump in and save his sorry ass.

- Ordering JonCon to pull Tyrion out of the water - If Aegon was hero material he would have pulled Tyrion out himself. Instead he shows no regard for the life of his mentor and father figure and ends up condemning him to greyscale.

- He spent his life on a pole boat. He's never been to court or observed political intrigues, He's never learned patience, to read a room, or handle himself like an adult (again, the cryvasse game). I'm tired of the Targaryen Temper argument for any of the Targaryens, that's just a pathetic excuse to act like a spoiled toddler.

- He's impatient and lacks common sense:

He rushed off to Storm's End against his adviser's council, he failed to consolidate his forces, his army is strewn up and down the coast and some haven't even arrived yet, and his elephants are stuck in the rainwood. Idiot.

Unless he gets a big smack in the head and grows up, this kid is a loser.

This. So this. You put it better than I ever could! :cheers:

- Getting mad at Tyrion and tipping over the cyvasse table and ordering Tyrion to pick up the pieces - if he wants to be king he's going to have to deal with people far worse than Tyrion. He can't control his temper over a board game he's not fit to be a good ruler.

- Being touted as having learned to fight as befits a knight yet when the storm men landed on the boat, what did he do? He froze and stood there with his mouth hanging open. It was Tyrion who had to jump in and save his sorry ass.

- Ordering JonCon to pull Tyrion out of the water - If Aegon was hero material he would have pulled Tyrion out himself. Instead he shows no regard for the life of his mentor and father figure and ends up condemning him to greyscale.

- He spent his life on a pole boat. He's never been to court or observed political intrigues, He's never learned patience, to read a room, or handle himself like an adult (again, the cryvasse game). I'm tired of the Targaryen Temper argument for any of the Targaryens, that's just a pathetic excuse to act like a spoiled toddler.

He rushed off to Storm's End against his adviser's council, he failed to consolidate his forces, his army is strewn up and down the coast and some haven't even arrived yet, and his elephants are stuck in the rainwood. Idiot.

Every young male character in this series that has been trained in arms has been over confident and eager for battle. His attitude doesn't surprise me. I guess the only thing that bothered me was the moment he froze up in the face of the stone men. But then again, Tyrion the Super-Halfman had to have another contrived moment of glory.

Oh wow, he saved Joffrey from Stannis, saved Jon from bullies and Aegon from the stone men. And someone said Jon was a Mary Sue? :lol:

I also think it's really really really silly that he has a guard named Duck. Duck and Egg?! I can't. GRRM pls.

:bowdown: :lol:

After having to put up with Joffrey, I don't think the people of Westeros are quite ready for a Joffrey 2.0, which is basically what Aegon will be if he gets unlimited power and saves those elephants.

As said before, he have a good education, he seems to mean well, and to quote Bright Blue Eyes, he is morally upright.

Obviously to his age, he is inexperienced, but non the less, he is willing to listen, learn and uphold the mantel of leadership and responsibility.

His reaction with Tyrion and the Cyvasse game is understandable. As a king he or any other ruler can't let people mock them like that in the open.

And to be frankly, Aegon is not the first to react to Tyrion this way. As said before even Jon Snow had trouble to refrain hitting him.

What I really like about him is that he has lived with fishermen, and that he knows how it is to be hungry. He can cook, fish, tend a wound and has been taught that ruling is a duty, not a privilege. Aegon has been taught that his people comes first. And him actually having lived among the common folk, this really do look good.

I personally like Aegon from what we have seen and heard. I wish him good luck and hope that he will survive the coming battles.

What I really like about him is that he has lived with fishermen, and that he knows how it is to be hungry. He can cook, fish, tend a wound and has been taught that ruling is a duty, not a privilege. Aegon has been taught that his people comes first. And him actually having lived among the common folk, this really do look good.

Varys said that Aegon knows what it is to be hungry, but does he really? The evidence we have is that he has been sponsored by a powerful patron his entire life and would never have truly wanted for food or safety. We do not even know when Jon & Aegon left Ilyrio's manse to live on the boat - it could have been as little as a few months before Dany & Viserys moved in / about 3 years in-story.

I can well believe that Aegon has missed a meal or two, but I believe the same of any noble-born squire that has followed his master in an army on campaign or that Robb & Jon might have been hungry for a day whilst hunting in the Wolfswood. I doubt he has known true hunger like Bran, Arya, Ned Dayne or half the noble children whose homes have been besieged during the Wot5K. I rather think that was the significance of Tyrion getting his age wrong; children in Westeros have been growing up fast, but Aegon has been protected enough that he is a child not a man despite his chronological age. (I certainly don't buy Tyrion having gotten the age right, just because V&I are too competent to have given Jon C a 3 or 4 year old imposter when the real Aegon would have been 6).

The lessons Aegon received about duty to the smallfolk are nothing a castle-bred child could not have received given the right teachers. Aegon lived amongst the smallfolk but did not live as one of them, if he was supposed to think of himself as one of them then Varys surely picked the wrong teacher with Jon C. He is not spoilt rotten but he perhaps has a case of Only Child Syndrone, the adults in his life have not tried to overindulge him but he is the central focus of all their lives. He seems a nice enough kid but I think his tale is going to be the tragedy of someone who was told he is a special snowflake finding out he has feet of clay.

As said before, he have a good education, he seems to mean well, and to quote Bright Blue Eyes, he is morally upright.

Obviously to his age, he is inexperienced, but non the less, he is willing to listen, learn and uphold the mantel of leadership and responsibility.

His reaction with Tyrion and the Cyvasse game is understandable. As a king he or any other ruler can't let people mock them like that in the open.

And to be frankly, Aegon is not the first to react to Tyrion this way. As said before even Jon Snow had trouble to refrain hitting him.

I personally like Aegon from what we have seen and heard. I wish him good luck and hope that he will survive the coming battles.

Was this post meant to be in character for your avatar? Because it is appropriate as hell. :laugh:

Varys said that Aegon knows what it is to be hungry, but does he really? The evidence we have is that he has been sponsored by a powerful patron his entire life and would never have truly wanted for food or safety. We do not even know when Jon & Aegon left Ilyrio's manse to live on the boat - it could have been as little as a few months before Dany & Viserys moved in / about 3 years in-story.

Both can be applied. As it happned with Dany and Viserys. Aegon could easily have happy and well fed years during his youth, but just as easily he could also have bad years and times. As Varys also said, Aegon knew how it felt to be hunted and afraid. You seem to imply that he has lived his whole life well fed and out of harms way. Even when it is suggested otherwise.

I can well believe that Aegon has missed a meal or two, but I believe the same of any noble-born squire that has followed his master in an army on campaign or that Robb & Jon might have been hungry for a day whilst hunting in the Wolfswood. I doubt he has known true hunger like Bran, Arya, Ned Dayne or half the noble children whose homes have been besieged during the Wot5K. I rather think that was the significance of Tyrion getting his age wrong; children in Westeros have been growing up fast, but Aegon has been protected enough that he is a child not a man despite his chronological age. (I certainly don't buy Tyrion having gotten the age right, just because V&I are too competent to have given Jon C a 3 or 4 year old imposter when the real Aegon would have been 6).

Yet again you paint up Aegons life as a good and lazy one, directly in contradiction to what we are told from the books.

While I do agree that Aegon was protected by his loyal men, he didn't have an army behind him until recently. His safety would lie in not being found. Not living the life as a prince in some fancy building which catches ones attention.

Suggested by the books, his life has been on the run, living among the common folk where they actually would bled in. Even more so with the story they made up. Old Griff being the father of young Griff and his mother being a common Tyroshi.

The lessons Aegon received about duty to the smallfolk are nothing a castle-bred child could not have received given the right teachers. Aegon lived amongst the smallfolk but did not live as one of them, if he was supposed to think of himself as one of them then Varys surely picked the wrong teacher with Jon C. He is not spoilt rotten but he perhaps has a case of Only Child Syndrone, the adults in his life have not tried to overindulge him but he is the central focus of all their lives. He seems a nice enough kid but I think his tale is going to be the tragedy of someone who was told he is a special snowflake finding out he has feet of clay.

There is a huge difference between being told of the smallfolk and ones duty to them compared with actually living as one and being around them.

To many younger lords they might have only seen this as some boring fact which they have to learn.

I do agree with the Only Child Syndrome as it would only make sense and put more credibility to his character considering how he has lived.

But suggested from the books, Aegon did not live a luxurious life.

Was this post meant to be in character for your avatar? Because it is appropriate as hell. :laugh:

No, but now when you mention it, it really does fit =P

Well-intentioned, morally upright, well-educated, but still young, inexperienced and rash. Could become great. Or die young.

Yeah, I agree with this. If he did end up on the IT I think he has the potential to be a great King

Knowing what it's to be hungry doesn't mean he starved, simply that he knows the value of food. There are times when maybe they had to be away from their confort zone and they had to hunt or fish otherwise there wasn't food. If Tommen or Joffrey travel, they would never miss a meal.

Put it this way. I want my son to know the value of money and food. I would ask him to get a job. He would know how hard people has to work for money to eat, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't share a meal or two with him.

Both can be applied. As it happned with Dany and Viserys. Aegon could easily have happy and well fed years during his youth, but just as easily he could also have bad years and times. As Varys also said, Aegon knew how it felt to be hunted and afraid. You seem to imply that he has lived his whole life well fed and out of harms way. Even when it is suggested otherwise.

'Varys said...' is not evidence. I was questioning the validity of Varys statement. Dany and Viserys had no patron before they came to Illyrio's manse, that is why they had bad years. Aegon has had a rich patron in Illyrio at least since Jon C arrived when he was 6, that is the evidence in the books I use to dispute any claim he was ever truly hungry.

Varys said he was hunted. By whom? The evidence we have is that nobody who would care about his claim (ie. Robert and his court) knew he existed. What evidence is there that he was hunted? Would not Jon C and Illyrio have picked a location of relative safety to raise him? They had the resources. Not to say he never had a moment of danger; Bran was attacked just outside secure peacetime Winterfell, in our own safe lives we might come close to being killed crossing a road, but I am saying that his life was mostly out of harms way.

Yet again you paint up Aegons life as a good and lazy one, directly in contradiction to what we are told from the books.

While I do agree that Aegon was protected by his loyal men, he didn't have an army behind him until recently. His safety would lie in not being found. Not living the life as a prince in some fancy building which catches ones attention.

I believe Aegon's life was a good and secure one. I certainly did not suggest he it was a lazy one - but I would not suggest that privileged youngsters like Robb and Jon had lazy lives either.

Yes Aegon's safety lay in being hidden, that was successful and so he remained out of danger. His security lasted, the security of many of the highborn children in Westeros did not after the Wot5Ks started. So I would say that in the last few years his life had been happier than those children.

Suggested by the books, his life has been on the run, living among the common folk where they actually would bled in. Even more so with the story they made up. Old Griff being the father of young Griff and his mother being a common Tyroshi.

There is a huge difference between being told of the smallfolk and ones duty to them compared with actually living as one and being around them.

To many younger lords they might have only seen this as some boring fact which they have to learn.

I do agree with the Only Child Syndrome as it would only make sense and put more credibility to his character considering how he has lived.

But suggested from the books, Aegon did not live a luxurious life.

Jon Connington would blend in with the common folk? And his alleged son too? And the attendants educating that son too?

I would contend that Griff and young Griffs position within the peasant villages they lived would be roughly equivalent to a petty lordling or minor landed knight. Not a luxurious life but a secure one without true risk of going hungry.

Most nobles do not need to be told about the smallfolk, they are their servants and guards and live among them. Especially the lesser nobility that draw servants straight from the villages, less so in larger keeps which support more families that form the staff. Aegon is not some unicorn for being exposed to the common folk, I'd say only princes, attended by lesser nobility and cityborn servants, are unexposed to the smallfolk. How much young nobility notice the smallfolk depends on how much of a jerk they are and what their teachers are like.

Any time Aegon spent living in Illyrio's manse would have been living in luxury. The books do not state how long he lived there, if indeed they stayed at all once Jon C was invited in. In my previous post I did not say that Aegon lived that life of luxury; I said we do not know and gave the most extreme possible limit that 'it could have been as little as a few months before Dany & Viserys moved in / about 3 years in-story'.

I have questions:

Is it safe to assume the clothes Tyrion wore were once Aegons?

Was Aegon living at the manse when he owned those clothes?

What size of boys clothes would Tyrion be able to wear? i.e. how old was the boy that wore them?

Board consensus is that the clothes were once Aegon's.

I can't imagine outgrown clothes would be shipped back to the manse.

I don't think Tyrion would fit in a 6-year olds clothes. Maybe 9 or 10?

So my speculation about this unknown is perhaps Jon C and Aegon spent the first few years living at Illyrio's manse, perhaps leaving when he was around 10.

Luxury would not be alien to Aegon but he would have spent the most formative years of his life not in luxury, just somewhere relatively safe and secure.

- Getting mad at Tyrion and tipping over the cyvasse table and ordering Tyrion to pick up the pieces - if he wants to be king he's going to have to deal with people far worse than Tyrion. He can't control his temper over a board game he's not fit to be a good ruler. Taking people's shit is not part of the great king's criteria. Jaeherys made a law stating laying a hand on royalty and you lose a lime, and had a guy's balls removed when he learned he broke his vows.

Well yeah, he was sure of himself and to essoi matches available to her he was already winning by miles . What was he suppose to have the Quentyn mentally? His lack of confidence doomed him in Meeren.

- Being touted as having learned to fight as befits a knight yet when the storm men landed on the boat, what did he do? He froze and stood there with his mouth hanging open. It was Tyrion who had to jump in and save his sorry ass. Not everyone can be acton hero Jon Snow. He fights his own battles.

- Ordering JonCon to pull Tyrion out of the water - If Aegon was hero material he would have pulled Tyrion out himself. Instead he shows no regard for the life of his mentor and father figure and ends up condemning him to greyscale. How was he suppose to know that would happen? Tyrion was in the same water and shows no infection and I doubt grey scale has a main cause.

- He spent his life on a pole boat. He's never been to court or observed political intrigues, He's never learned patience, to read a room, or handle himself like an adult (again, the cryvasse game). I'm tired of the Targaryen Temper argument for any of the Targaryens, that's just a pathetic excuse to act like a spoiled toddler. He does know patients as he waited until the GC labeled the Dany trip in possible before bringing out hs plan of going west. And again taking people' shit is not on the job description of being king.

Daeron lost a lot of support and face for not leading his men, seating in a tent will win Aegon no friends. The plan was made before Aegon jumped in with Jon leading. You claim Aegon is a coward for not fighting, or saving someone himself but call him stupid for fighting his own cause? Truly you must be joking.

As of yet, his assertiveness an general belief in himself has won him SE and the respect of his men.

1) Taking people's shit? Tyrion was using crevasse as a means to teach him a lesson. Someone with half a brain would have seen that someone who was wiser and had more experience was trying to impart some information. If he cut off a limb or the testicles of everyone who didn't blindly suck up to him he's going to end up surrounded by idiots and yes-men instead of honest and capable advisers. Even Stannis knows this. Aegon the brat failed, and as of the game, Aegon was the king of nothing. He's just a punk on a pole boat.

ETA: Also, keeping JonCon waiting in his solar for the "better half of an hour" for no reason other than to try to assert dominance is rude and a dick move. You do that to adversaries, not the person who gave up his life to raise you and care for you.

2) So you think it's acceptable for him to think that he was entitled to Dany like he owned her? Quentyn had his faults but, until he tried to steal the dragons, he wasn't a jerk. Once again, Aegon's an asshole.

3) Really? A dangerous creature advancing on you and posing an immediate threat to you and your crew isn't a reason to pull out your sword and fight? That's pretty fucking cowardly for someone who was supposed to be trained as a knight for battle. Another failure. Meanwhile, speaking of Quentyn, when was with the Windblown he DID fight when he was supposed to and didn't stand there with his mouth hanging open.

4) He lived much of his traveling the Rhoyne. He knew damn well how dangerous that part of the river was and knew he was possibly condemning JonCon to death. That Tyrion didn't get sick was beside the point.

5) Doesn't change that overall he's impatient and quick to anger without thought. Also, it's patience, not patients.

6) If you're going to fight for your cause, you have to do it right. Striking out while half your forces are lost or straggling (and you don't have many in the first place) is stupid.

7) Lots of fools are aggressive. He got lucky with Storm's End because it was being held by something like only 50 men but he needs more than just luck and bravado if he thinks he's going to end up on the Iron Throne and keep it. Oh, and the GC is only following him because Illyrio is paying for it, not because of any great charisma or leadership ability.

Archived