Have you ever turned on a character?

LooseyRoosey

Probably the nearest is Dany.

The longer she stayed in Slaver's Bay and worse things got there (mostly thanks to her) to less I liked her.

As for Tyrion I think his biggest problem (and it's the same problem that the series has, especially books 4 & 5) is that there is no book 6 yet with the redemption story. Once Tyrion finds his place in the world and stops whinging he will be a better character.

I'd have to say Dany. When I finished AGOT for the first time, and seen the last episode of season 1 in the show, Daenerys was just... by far, my favorite character. I remember re-watching and re-reading that chapter so many times, when Daenerys hatches the dragon eggs and that moment is still by far AGOT's most iconic moment for me. The end of her amazing journey. Then, I've grown less and less fond of her as books went by. I'd say I'm neutral towards her now, though I've been enjoying her more after coming here and debating with Daenerys's troop of haters.

Stannis Baratheon. I simply did not care for the guy at first, and now he's my candidate for King. I wish Stannis would win his throne and rule. That'd be one of my favorite endings, but alas, I'm not sure it's possible. I still find him a very complex character and one of George's very best.

Jon Snow. His situation has only recently started to look up for me - When I managed to re-read his chapters and separate what Jon is and what Jon's fans think he is. I don't feel connected to him emotionally as I do so many other characters (Sansa, Cat, Jaime, Ned, Arya, Reek and et caetera) and sometimes he is slightly tedious, but I generally like him. Not Jon Targaryen, not Jon Stark, Jon Snow.

Tyrion Lannister. I think Tyrion is probably one of our most entertaining characters when we first read AGOT, but from then on, his journey takes him to very dark places in ASOS and ADWD. I've always been fond of him, but his initial chapters in Dance ruined his chapter for me, and even made me question some of his past actions in analysis.

For me, characters I turned on are rare. I name:

- Catelyn - This is tough, because aside from "it should have been you", she was basically a good person, and doing her best to deal with the tough circumstances facing her and her family. But increasingly, she became erratic and undone by her grief, to the point of endangering the very people she wanted to protect. Understandable human frailty, but maddening at times, and her story is very painful to read. And then comes Lady Stoneheart to just put the icing on the cake. I have to say, she should have stayed in Winterfell.

- Daenerys - I have not really turned on her. Still a Dany fan. But her actions in Meereen were just one disappointment after another. Jorah exiled, Reznak listened to, Shavepate and Barristan not listened to, dragons chained, Daario fucked, Prince Quentyn spurned, and Hizdahr married? This is an appalling combination of choices. I think by the end of ADWD she's realized that (well, I seriously hope so).

- Theon - I really, really turned to disliking him for what he did in ACOK re: Bran and Rickon; my sympathy for him pretty much disappeared. It stayed that way as he was Reek, then as he began to turn back to Theon and escape Winterfell, I liked him more, with his crazy tale of horror. Crazy, broken Theon is actually more enjoyable to read than brash, unbroken Theon.

Provocation time:

I think it's hilarious how many people name Tyrion as if he was a straight-up hero up to that point. Yes, he hit a personal low point in his mostly miserable life (and yes, despite the sunny facade, it was dominated by his misery and the hellish abuse and manipulation he was raised in).

Get over it, folks. :box:

At first didnt mind Renly, until he started wanting to jump the line of succession (absolute dick, you are the younger brother so learn your place)

This doesn't even bother me. I honestly hate terms like "learn your place." That's the kind of thinking that leads to situations like this. What irks me about Renly (and Stannis too) in this situation is that both misjudged each other and the realm suffered for it. Renly should've known Stannis wouldn't give up and Stannis should've known Renly was in this for the frivolity of it all. Neither compromised, one just happened to have magic on their side. Had either been willing in the slightest to give an inch they might've accomplished something, but in the end they just became losers. (again, Stannis has little chance for the IT so he's a loser too.)

This doesn't even bother me. I honestly hate terms like "learn your place." That's the kind of thinking that leads to situations like this. What irks me about Renly (and Stannis too) in this situation is that both misjudged each other and the realm suffered for it. Renly should've known Stannis wouldn't give up and Stannis should've known Renly was in this for the frivolity of it all. Neither compromised, one just happened to have magic on their side. Had either been willing in the slightest to give an inch they might've accomplished something, but in the end they just became losers. (again, Stannis has little chance for the IT so he's a loser too.)

I have to agree. The spectacle of them fighting each other in order to claim the right to depose the Lannisters usurpers on the throne is hilarious. Well, Tyrion and Cersei certainly thought so.

Just shows the depths to which they did not regard each other as brothers. Stannis is supposed to be the hard-headed unreasonable one in this conflict, but Renly certainly matched him.

Renly once he committed to marrying Marge couldn't really back down since, Tyrell support was contingent on getting a Queen. Stannis couldn't back down either cause well he is enthralled by Mel. So IMO both of them are not at fault.

For me it was Dany. Although I didn't love her in the beginning I didn't hate her either. Now she just seems like a brat with an entitlement complex (with good reason, but still annoying). Littlefinger I liked in the beginning until I found out just how much of a douche he is lol.

With Danaerys it went like this (im taking the show version, cause I never liked the book version)

season 1 - Loved her

Season 2 - Annoyed with her

Season 3 - Still annoyed but less so

And if the show's version will be similar to the book one, I am on pace to absolutely hate her guts

A. Liked/loved at first, Hate/dislike now

Thought Dany was cool at the start, absolutely detest her now. Book 5 really did it for me, I loathe her now, and can't understand how she has such a strong following.

Loved Ned at the start, now I think he was too harsh on Jaime. But still hold Ned in high regards.

B. Hated/disliked at first, love/like now

On the flip side, hated Sansa and Jaime at the start. Now I can sympathize with Jaime, he still isn't perfect, but he has become a better person. Sansa was just boring, but now that she's privy to mystery man's (LF) plots, I find her chapters are the most exciting.

C. Liked/loved at the start, and still do

Davos, Robb, Stannis

I go back and forth between who has turned into more of a disappointment, Kant Rule Khaleesi or Where do Whores Go Tyrion. I feel that Dany may be more redeemable, because despite her incredible stupidity, she has been trying to do something positive. All of Tyrion's misdeeds have been purely out of selfishness and anger, he had no goals in his murdering, kinslaying, slave abuse except his own gratification.

I'm surprised to see all this Tyrion hate. I love the character and, if anything, the whole delusional thing in the more recent books is really interesting. Plus he's with another favourite of mine, Jorah Mormont

Daenerys: I liked her at first, but her naivety and how annoying i find her is really starting to annoy me.

Arya: Arya, in my opinion, started out as one of the most interesting characters hands down. A rebellious tomboy in a world where girls are expected to be quiet and make babies. The only people who understand her truly seem to be her dad (who is busy doing honourable lord stuff.) and her bastard brother. When she had to flee King's landing, it got even more interesting with her surviving in Westeros, meeting The Brotherhood without Banners and meeting one of my favourites, the Hound. Then she crossed the Narrow Sea. And her chapters, in my honest opinion, got dull. I couldn't careless and she ran around Braavos, being blinded and putting on different faces. While it's a good concept, I felt like it didn't run well with the rest of the book: The conflicts of the North, the scheming mess that is King's Landing and Daenerys messing up every 10 seconds. I found myself quickly skimming over Arya's chapters. The character just got boring for me.

Archived