Baratheon Ancestral Valyrian Steel Sword?

Mithras

It wouldn't surprise me if VS swords were either obtained as gifts from the Valyrians or by service in Essos. In both cases honor would be involved.

My personal pet theory is that the Mormonts and Starks got their VS together. We know that Bear Island was won by Rodrik Stark almost 500 centuries Woops years ago. We also know of another Rodrik Stark, who was called the Wandering Wolf and served with the Second Sons.

What if these two Rodrik's were one and the same? Rodrik, alongside some other compagnions (the Proto Mormont amongst them) might have gone to Essos, served with the Second Sons and both Rodrik and Proto-Mormont obtained a Valyrian Steel sword for bravery in combat.

After that Rodrik and Proto-Mormont went back home. Rodrik defeated the Ironborn and got hold of Bear Island which he then gifted to his comrade from Essos, who founded House Mormont.

It wouldn't surprise me if VS swords were either obtained as gifts from the Valyrians or by service in Essos. In both cases honor would be involved.

My personal pet theory is that the Mormonts and Starks got their VS together. We know that Bear Island was won by Rodrik Stark almost 500 centuries ago. We also know of another Rodrik Stark, who was called the Wandering Wolf and served with the Second Sons.

What if these two Rodrik's were one and the same? Rodrik, alongside some other compagnions (the Proto Mormont amongst them) might have gone to Essos, served with the Second Sons and both Rodrik and Proto-Mormont obtained a Valyrian Steel sword for bravery in combat.

After that Rodrik and Proto-Mormont went back home. Rodrik defeated the Ironborn and got hold of Bear Island which he then gifted to his comrade from Essos, who founded House Mormont.

That would work. Thinking about it, the Valyrians wouldn't give away their much better steel to just anyone. I still think there should be more though.

Probably, it is known that there are hundreds (probably more) out there. We just do not know about them, because they are not a factor... yet

Roxtons and Hightowers have ones as well

There's no logic in Valyrian steel. The Targs had only two blades. They had more dragons than VS swords! Enormously rich, ancient and powerful House Lannister had one Valyrian steel sword, exactly as many as the Mormonts. Speaking of which, Jeor took Longclaw with him to the Wall, instead of leaving it on the Bear Island for another bear (even if Maege didn't find use for it, one of her kids or grandkids could). And then in turn he gave it to Jon - which would have been fine if it had been just his personal possession, not a priceless heirloom of his House, of which Jeor wasn't even the head anymore!

Tarly has one, but Tyrell doesn't. Corbray has one, but Arryn doesn't. Harlaw has one, but Greyjoy doesn't.

I guess every few decades a mysterious someone throws a lottery with a Valyrian steel sword as the main prize, and every lord great and petty gets one ticket. It explains everything, the seemingly random distribution of this precious commodity (it looks random because it is random!), the Old Bear's careless attitude ("hey, we're luck sacks anyway, we won one lottery and we'll win again"). Yup, that must be it.

There's no logic in Valyrian steel. The Targs had only two blades. They had more dragons than VS swords! Enormously rich, ancient and powerful House Lannister had one Valyrian steel sword, exactly as many as the Mormonts. Speaking of which, Jeor took Longclaw with him to the Wall, instead of leaving it on the Bear Island for another bear (even if Maege didn't find use for it, one of her kids or grandkids could). And then in turn he gave it to Jon - which would have been fine if it had been just his personal possession, not a priceless heirloom of his House, of which Jeor wasn't even the head anymore!

Tarly has one, but Tyrell doesn't. Corbray has one, but Arryn doesn't. Harlaw has one, but Greyjoy doesn't.

I guess every few decades a mysterious someone throws a lottery with a Valyrian steel sword as the main prize, and every lord great and petty gets one ticket. It explains everything, the seemingly random distribution of this precious commodity (it looks random because it is random!), the Old Bear's careless attitude ("hey, we're luck sacks anyway, we won one lottery and we'll win again"). Yup, that must be it.

well we know how the harlaws got theirs

Again, we do not know these Houses do not have one. John Arryn was old enough that he wasn't a fighter anymore (plus we never met him) and Robert is to young to use it, so there would be no reason to talk about the family sword. Same with the Tyrells, either Mace, who really isn't a fighter, has it with him, or Willis, as heir to High Garden has it with him there.

There is no index to which Houses have what kind of sword, so we have no way of knowing that a House does not have one. We know about Ice and the other ones because they came into play, but if we had followed another family in place of the Starks from the beginning we probably would not have know about Ice, because it would not have come into play, as Ned only seemed to use it for executions, he may have used it in the Rebellion, he may not have, we don't know because GRRM didn't specify because it is not important to the plot of the books.

That would work. Thinking about it, the Valyrians wouldn't give away their much better steel to just anyone. I still think there should be more though.

There are several hundreds out there.

As an expansion to my pet theory about Rodrik Stark and Proto-Mormont I believe that most of the Westerosi blades were won by Westerosi adventurers in the service of the Freehold.

Think about it, we have this mercenary tradition which seems to be quite old. The Second Sons and Bright Banners at the very least have been around ever since the fall of the Freehold. For all we know they might be older.

And the Valyrians needed manpower. They could conquer with their dragons but they also needed a navy and a land army if they truly wanted to be an empire and hold on to the lands they conquered. Perhaps they supplemented their own troops with Westerosi auxiliaries.

It kind of makes sense. The Westerosi have quite a lot of experience and they don't have any specific relations with the indigenous populace which could make them turn or go disloyal. Perhaps DS wasn't just a trading post but also a recruitment office?

This would also explain the seemingly random division of VS swords and the huge number of those availabe swords held by lower tier houses. Because it didn't have anything to with the Houses an sich. It had to do with individual members, who were both adventurous enough to make the crossing and skilled enough to make an impression on the Lords of the Freehold.

Speaking of which, Jeor took Longclaw with him to the Wall, instead of leaving it on the Bear Island for another bear (even if Maege didn't find use for it, one of her kids or grandkids could). And then in turn he gave it to Jon - which would have been fine if it had been just his personal possession, not a priceless heirloom of his House, of which Jeor wasn't even the head anymore!

Jeor left Longclaw to Jorah. When Jorah fled from Ned, he didnot take Longclaw with him. Maege sent the sword to Jeor.

I am not sure whether Longclaw became a property of the NW now. But I believe it can be returned to House Mormont later. I don't think that will be Jon's final weapon any way.

I've always found it odd that only two of the Paramount houses (Stark, Lannister) are mentioned as having Valyrian Steel Swords in the text. All the other houses that own them seem to be second tier houses and lower. I also found it odd that the Valyrian Steel dagger that was in Robert Baratheons weapon collection wasn't worn by him, okay it's just a dagger but it is Valyrian Steel and surely worth carrying on your person if you own it?Yzy

Tywin says that Robert only used the knife Jon Arryn gave him in his youth. Sentiment wins everytime.

My personal pet theory is that the Mormonts and Starks got their VS together. We know that Bear Island was won by Rodrik Stark almost 500 centuries Woops years ago. We also know of another Rodrik Stark, who was called the Wandering Wolf and served with the Second Sons.

Unlikely. The Second Sons (indeed the entire sellsword culture of Essos) was the direct result of the Doom and Valyria's armed strength being wiped out, being founded during the Century of Blood.

IIRC, didn't the Targs had more VS blades than just Blackfyre and Dark Sister?

I also don't think the Mormonts ever owned Dark Sister, aka Longclaw.

Longclaw is a bastard sword. Dark Sister is a longsword. So no.

Archived